11 year old Male, losing weight, runny stools.

Hi,

Our retired racer (Charlie) is about 11 now and in the last few months has had stomach issues and has been loosing weight (he's lost about 10% of his body weight this year :()

He has had blood tests and they all came back clear. I have just been reading about IBS in greyhounds and I think he fits the description pretty well and will try and get an ultrasound to investigate it. He has always been fed on grain-free kibble previously which has also begun to shy away from without some raw food mixed in so I am thinking of changing to a complete raw diet. 

Our daughter was born last November so as much as we try to give him his own space, the house a suddenly got a lot busier and I think I have to admit he's probably more anxious as a result.

He is still pretty happy within himself (we think!) and still gets plenty of attention and long walks etc.

He is our first greyhound so we are still learning as we go, and would value any advise any of you might have!

Thanks a lot!

10906575_10153575312039129_9190733916311

He's a handsome boy. There probably is some stress involved with having a child in the house now. Does he shy away from your daughter or show some curiosity toward her?

Has he had a chest and abdominal xray? Any heart issues? Murmurs? Enlarged but within normal range for a greyhound? Is your vet greyhound-savvy? Check the threads posted here on GT regarding heart disease and the dangers of grain free foods. I'm not sure how that would fit in with the possible IBS though.

Has he been eating normally? Any diarrhea? Are you in the UK or the US?

Feeding raw is complex to provide a proper nutrient balance.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If you're doing an ultra sound make sure you have them check for heart failure.  Feeding a grain free diet has been linked to congestive heart failure by the FDA, and is currently being investigated.  Our boy's only symptoms of (congenital) CHF was persistent diarrhea and weight loss, and a small dry cough.

Even if you decide to switch to raw, please make sure you include whole grains in the mix.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Stick with simple stool samples and other easy to afford and!administer options. The change in the house could have started a slight case of colitis. But only science will know.

Tylan or flagyl are great drugs when  used properly. Vets are aware of the issues of overdosing. Annie was on flagyl for 5 month with 0 problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

We are still struggling to get any conclusive answers so if anyone has any further advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Although the diarrhoea has stopped now we have changed his food to a mixture of wet food and chicken and veg porridge that we make up, he is always starving hungry. Even though he get about double what he should need to eat and he can't put any weight back on. He used to be 30kg and now we can't get him above about 25kg and he looks painfully thin. Its as though he just isn't properly absorbing anything.

He has been tested for just about everything imaginable and nothing has come back except on the ultrasound it appeared he might have a slightly inflamed bowel but nothing too severe. 

We are really running out of ideas so any suggestions are very gratefully received.

Thanks a lot.

The only thing I can add is that if you haven't done so, try feeding him multiple small meals instead of larger meals.  Some of our seniors over the years have done much better on 4 small meals a day as opposed to 2 larger meals. It seems like this is the age where they get "senioritis" and this kind of stuff happens. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life