Exercise or not?

We have a 13 year old greyhound, Maddie, who is unstable on her back legs.

Recently my mother has stopped taking her for a short daily walk and is simply leaving her to sleep or lie on her dog bed.

We only have a small garden in which she just goes out to answer the call of nature.

I believe that Maddie would benefit from more activity as I believe just lying around all day will lead to a faster loss of muscle strength.

Things are made more difficult as Maddie has to negotiate two steps into the kitchen and another two into the living room.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh my… 13 Is grand age!

I would take her out for very short walks a couple times a day on smooth level 

Perhaps a folded towel can be used to help lift her hind end up the two steps.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I agree.  Everything I've read recommends gentle exercise is best for elderly hounds.  Even a short, not-too-steep hill helps keeps those shaky back legs as strong as possible.  I've also read that varying things a bit makes life more interesting for them, too -- like going for a short walk at the same time every day, but taking a different route.  

My dear Nutmeg had lumbar stenosis, which gradually made her weaker and unsteady.  I got her a harness designed with a handle on top, like a suitcase.  This made helping her on stairs so much easier.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Val just turned 13 and was diagnosed with LS (lumbar sacral stenosis) a year and half ago. She has gotten much more wobbly in the back, but is still doing much better than I expected and I think a large part of that is taking her on short daily walks. I am lucky that I have a ramp in the back so she doesn’t have to do stairs, but I would take her for walks even without that. It is currently too hot to walk here, and I worry about her losing muscle mass over the summer. I would definitely recommend short walks for your girl. Congratulations on having a wonderful senior :wub:

If she wants to and is able to go, a short (determined by her) todder around the yard would be terrific. Agreed, use a harness if necessary and if you don't have one they are easy to create just by rolling up a sweatshirt and using the arms as handles. 13! :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My Spirit is now 14.5 and dealing with degenerative myelopathy.  He's getting weaker and more wobbly all the time.  My vet did say that short walks are good for him.  Right now, he can do the deck steps into the back yard with supervision and he loves going out there.  He also loves short versions of his regular walks.  I do have a harness that is comfy enough for him to wear 24/7.   That makes it easy for me to steady and assist as needed.

When Piper the Perfect, my first Greyhound, was dealing with GME, the neurologist's office made a nice "lift" tool for me by wrapping a surgical gown in vet wrap--the end result was very much like Jan's idea to use an old sweatshirt with the arms serving as the lift handles. 

Warmest wishes for you and your girl.  Watching them age and become frail hard on their loving humans. :grouphug 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

at the end felix's will was far stronger than his physical ability. on grass he always had a good romp but he still desired his walkies and was very verbal about it. a good friend suggested that i use vet wrap on his rear paws since he was knuckling. it worked- i made loose fitting booties and it gave his better traction on steps and he was able to go around the block(vs the standard 2+ miles).  towards the very end it was down the driveway and 1/2 down the block and back, but it satisfied his need. he wore his webmaster harness 24/7. 

hugs to your old pal- and remember it's the little things that make a difference. any food that they will eat is more than appropiate- as long as they enjoy it.