Severe leg support issue getting worse?

drwho

Our grey Stormie just turned 14yr old and has developed 'shaky legs' these past few months and now she just wants to lie down all the time making a beeline for a bed wherever in  or out.  I no longer take her for walks since she cannot handle it but let her out to the yard but she soon finds a spot to lie down. Just recently it has become quite severe almost unable to support herself, I've been carrying her up the short flight of stairs and this past week bringing her dishes to her since she is having such difficulty. I'm surmising a trip to the vet is necessary at this stage although her last visit four months ago (when she was at least able to walk a bit) almost did her in as she collapsed and they had to give her oxygen while on the floor and meds to revive her? I hate the thought of what another trip might do? She is still eating and drinking but has had a few minor accidents inside not able to get to the door in time. Not sure what to do?

Okay this evening I've had to carry her down the stairs, then out to the grass to relieve herself. She made her way stumbling to the deck but I carried her back inside. She is really struggling to get up or move, so I guess a call to the vet is necessary. I hate to think this might be the end for her?

There are harnesses that are made to help support your hound. They have a handle on the top ( along your hounds back) that you use to help lift them as they walk. This may be one part of the solution. I don't know the brands but other GTers surely can help. Do you have a vet that might come to your home to evaluate? That could relieve some stress for her.

Good luck, 14 is a grand age and if she is eating and drinking there is still hope.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

RuffWear make excellent harnesses with a handle on the back.

And yes... please find a Vet who will do a home visit.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks for replies....I've checked the site for 'helpmeup.com' but the dogs shown in their video do not appear to have the severe disability my grey is experiencing? They seem to be able to walk okay just needing someone to lift them? Our grey has gotten to the point she seems almost incapable of walking, not just the ability to lift herself? But I will check with our vet first thing to get his diagnosis. Thanks again!

If you find a home vet make sure they can do diagnostic xrays from their vehicle, otherwise an in-office vist may be necessary to image her spine and hips to check for impingements or disc issues.

The RuffWear Webmaster harness can aid you helping her get around.  They are very well made and fit greyhounds better than other gear.  It's also very adjustable at several points.  Make sure you take careful measurements and get the size that's best for her.

You may be able to help her with medications and supplements for a little while, but aging just sucks in general.  Definitely make sure she isn't in any pain, and discuss adding the nerve medication gabapentin to her daily regimen.  This can often aid the nerves in her spine work a little better allowing her to get around easier.

And it's time to give her whatever accommodations she needs for every day living - let her eat on her bed, rugs over slippery floors, pee pads in case of accidents (or even diapers if she gets that incontinent), no more walks and naps all the time!  Spoil her ocassionally with yummy treats like ice cream and steak if her system can tolerate them.  Control any pain, monitor her weight, love her lavishly/  You're so lucky to have had her with you for this special time.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

i would NOT invest in X-rays- a harness yes and have vet wrap on hand since most likely she is dragging one of not both rear paws. if you have a bootie- use it but the loose vet wrap is a great traction bootie. sometimes prednisone can help a tad just making your pup feel better in general.- but towards the decline it's a matter of keeping them happy and safe. it's always difficult to deal w/ a mind that is alert and a failing body. the Webmaster is what I used on felix when he needed support going up and down stairs. it's like having a dog in a suitcase.  special meals and treats are in order for your long time companion.

I'm following this topic because Sheba will be 13 in January and is starting to show similar signs of weakening. She's still doing pretty darn well, but I anticipate increased weakening as the next year passes. I will invest in the Ruffwear Webmaster harness in the near future. Best of luck in being able to assist your hound as needed and making her as comfortable as possible. My vet is only four blocks away, and a new vet just bought the clinic, so I will find out if he will come to the house if needed. 

Before making any final decisions I would see how she responds to perhaps 10-20mg of prednisone a day. I am a holistic person and won't even use a canine NSAID but I got to tell you the difference that I have seen that steroid make is astounding. I am told there is even a saying among vets about not letting go of a dog before trying it because it can make such a dramatic difference. Aggie was on I believe 10mg twice a day and I have to admit it was a godsend and gave her many additional good and happy days/months/years and she didn't cross over until she was almost 15 thanks to that. Just something you might want to investigate.

1 hour ago, racindog said:

Before making any final decisions I would see how she responds to perhaps 10-20mg of prednisone a day. I am a holistic person and won't even use a canine NSAID but I got to tell you the difference that I have seen that steroid make is astounding. I am told there is even a saying among vets about not letting go of a dog before trying it because it can make such a dramatic difference. Aggie was on I believe 10mg twice a day and I have to admit it was a godsend and gave her many additional good and happy days/months/years and she didn't cross over until she was almost 15 thanks to that. Just something you might want to investigate.

that's what i mentioned- not only does it give them some relief but it enhances their appetite and it's CHEAP!