Amantadine:

Talk to me, please:  Pros / Cons / Effectiveness / etc

TIA.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

You might want to search H&M as well as there's been some discussion in osteo threads. 

My experience, 0/2. I tried it with both Neyla and Zuri when they had osteo, but didn't see much if any improvement from it. But worth keeping in mind that in both cases that was later on when it was getting more difficult to manage their pain. And on the other hand, I didn't see noticeable side effects from it so I would try it again in the future.

Also, you may know this, but it supposedly doesn't relieve pain itself, but enhances the pain relieving abilities of an NSAID so you give them together. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We used for Sallie. I didn’t notice that it helped much, but at that point, not much was helping :sad1. Maybe if given earlier, or with less pain? As Jen said, it is supposed to enhance the other pain meds, not relieve pain itself.

Thank you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I used it for my friend's greyhound that I was taking care of while they were overseas. It helped him tremendously, unfortunately it helped him too much. He came in from outside moving slightly faster than he had before, was bearing weight on it and fractured it. I had to let him go 2 days before his family came home. So it can work well, just be cautious.

Edited by seeh2o
Autocorrect

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

20 hours ago, seeh2o said:

I used it for my friend's greyhound that I was taking care of while they were overseas. It helped him tremendously, unfortunately it helped him too much. He came in from outside moving slightly faster than he had before, was bearing weight on it and fractured it. I had to let him go 2 days before his family came home. So it can work well, just be cautious.

I am so sorry that happened to you.

Amantadine has definitely helped and to your point, yes, I am watching like a hawk.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update this in case it might be helpful to others. The amantadine definitely helped and kicked in right away to help Bea get more comfortable with less pain. As seeh2o noted above, it did help "too much" and Bea felt better than she had in some time so I would caution to be aware of that and to monitor. But for sure, worth trying.

Thanks for the update. Glad it's helping Bea. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

5 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

Thanks for the update. Glad it's helping Bea. 

Helped. I wish we had started the amantadine sooner. We were given what, 10 more days, before I had to let her go.

17 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Helped. I wish we had started the amantadine sooner. We were given what, 10 more days, before I had to let her go.

Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see that. :(

we started Larry (turned 13 on 2/24) on it on February 18th -- he suddenly lost virtually all the use of his back legs on February 16th and we tried it as a last resort.  It took a couple of days to start working - in fact we had scheduled our vet to come to the house to let him go that Saturday but he rallied around that Thursday  (2 days after we started it) and he is still here with us now.  He has LS and is on 3.75mg Meloxicam 1 x day, 500mg Gabapentin 3 x day, 100 mg Tramadol 3 x day and gets a Chinese herb called Body Sore 2 x day.  He gets 100mg of the amantadine 2 x day, with his breakfast and dinner.  We leash-walk him in our fenced in back yard every time just to make sure he doesn't overdo it.  He used to get a chiro adjustment every 4 weeks too but since this happened I can no longer get him into the car safely.

the only bad side effect is he vomits after he gets it here and there -- he's thrown up 22 times since he started taking it -- after the first couple times, we just let him re-eat his food (more so he can get the meds he vomited up with the food).  

he's been noticeably going downhill in the past couple weeks so I don't know how much longer he will be with us, but I am grateful to have had 5 more months with him so far.  It's quite expensive, even using GoodRx it's $50 for 60 pills (30 days worth).  We also use an Assisi Loop 2 - 3 times a day as well.

I'm glad you were able to get more time with Bea. :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

2 hours ago, RaineysMom said:

we started Larry (turned 13 on 2/24) on it on February 18th -- he suddenly lost virtually all the use of his back legs on February 16th and we tried it as a last resort.  It took a couple of days to start working - in fact we had scheduled our vet to come to the house to let him go that Saturday but he rallied around that Thursday  (2 days after we started it) and he is still here with us now.  He has LS and is on 3.75mg Meloxicam 1 x day, 500mg Gabapentin 3 x day, 100 mg Tramadol 3 x day and gets a Chinese herb called Body Sore 2 x day.  He gets 100mg of the amantadine 2 x day, with his breakfast and dinner.  We leash-walk him in our fenced in back yard every time just to make sure he doesn't overdo it.  He used to get a chiro adjustment every 4 weeks too but since this happened I can no longer get him into the car safely.

the only bad side effect is he vomits after he gets it here and there -- he's thrown up 22 times since he started taking it -- after the first couple times, we just let him re-eat his food (more so he can get the meds he vomited up with the food).  

he's been noticeably going downhill in the past couple weeks so I don't know how much longer he will be with us, but I am grateful to have had 5 more months with him so far.  It's quite expensive, even using GoodRx it's $50 for 60 pills (30 days worth).  We also use an Assisi Loop 2 - 3 times a day as well.

I'm glad you were able to get more time with Bea. :(

Every day is a gift. Give Larry a hug from me please. :grouphug

On 7/16/2020 at 3:44 PM, FiveRoooooers said:

I'm so sorry, though I'm glad it gave both of you some extra quality time.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

6 hours ago, seeh2o said:

I'm so sorry, though I'm glad it gave both of you some extra quality time.

Thank you, and thank you for your insight earlier, you were right.