Deep cut on paw

Hello everyone....  Three days ago my girl sliced her paw running in the snow. We have been treating it by cleaning and using antiseptic changing bandages daily. It appears to be improving very slowly.

Does anyone know how long it will take to heal. My previous experience has been about a month. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I can’t guess how long the cut will take to heal but I highly recommend using EMT gel to speed the process along. It’s been practically miraculous on my girls’ wounds. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

i never had success w. EMT gel. keep it dry- bandage changes every couple of days- a little more than a week for covered protected healing. i have heard wonderful things about manuka honey- i would go that route. use gauze pad, cotton padding(i bought a roll, it has lasted a life time, it's what is used for casts, rolled gauze and vet wrap). not too tight - most important and keep it dry.

Manuka honey rocks! In 24 hours you will be amazed at the improvement. You have to use REAL manuka honey (~$90/lb) though, not the cheap imposters. Of course it will last for years so it is really not that expensive considering.  Manuka honey is the only thing known to kill MRSA as well. https://manukahoneyusa.com/

Edited by racindog
add info

On 2/20/2020 at 9:15 AM, racindog said:

Manuka honey rocks! In 24 hours you will be amazed at the improvement. You have to use REAL manuka honey (~$90/lb) though, not the cheap imposters. Of course it will last for years so it is really not that expensive considering.  Manuka honey is the only thing known to kill MRSA as well. https://manukahoneyusa.com/

Which one of the products from here did you buy? 

Hi Lukasmom.

We are in Canada so they referred me to a company here. I had some from before and they say honey does not expire? Hope they are right. The price has doubled here for this stuff!

racindog might have the right answer. Looks like the first one that comes up on the site might be best.

My dog's paw is worse than I thought. the cut is way across the top pad and the one on the side of her foot.

Hope there is an answer for both our questions soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus A terrible, awful bacteria. Resistant to a lot of antibiotics.

Nope, Honey does not expire! Due to its low moisture and pH. If it's in glass, it should last forever, although it may crystallize.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

annie had a MSRA infection in her ulcerated cornea(that girl was very dramatic)!!!! it was 4 different antibiotics daily- one was compounded by the vet. he did say it's quite common in dogs and believe it or not athletics. it's not just a hospital infection. it did clear up. there is hope, don't panic.