Digging and scratching at night

We have had our grey for 4 1/2 years and things are good, except for her very recent habit of waking up at night and scratching/digging her bed. She destroyed a bed by digging into the soft cover and shredding it so we got a new one with a canvas cover. She sleeps on this bed in our bedroom and now wakes us up 3-4 times during the night trying to either nest or dig the bed. I have read that dogs do this to establish a nest or territory,  but this is a new behavior. Short of having her sleep downstairs, where she might bark at night for us to let her out — a behavior we had to stop by keeping her in the bedroom and closing our bedroom door — any suggestions other than squirting her with water (which we do if she gets too barky or jumpy; she is a high-spirited dog) or yelling at her to stop?

Some dogs like to nest, why would you stop a natural instinct? I understand the damage and need to replace beds but she is making herself feel safe and comfortable. Please do not yell at her for any reason. Greyhounds are very sensitive dogs and need a gentle touch. 

Perhaps if you tell her quietly to settle down she relax and go back to sleep.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Sweep is a nester and while I sympathize with the sleep disturbance, I agree with the above that it's not behavior that warrants "correcting." Do you think she might be cold? You said it's a recent behavior, so perhaps with the temperatures dropping she's getting chilly. Some cotton (vs. staticky fleece) PJs might be in order, or you could add a blanket or two on top of the bed. It probably won't stop the nesting but at least she won't be potentially damaging her bed. Sweep isn't a fan of clothes so we don't do PJs here, but she does like having her blankies so she can arrange them to her liking. 

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Since this is a new behavior, I agree that she might be cold. Even if she hasn’t gotten cold in previous years, they can get more temperature sensitive as the get older (as do we all :) ) Some dogs like pjs, some won’t wear them. You might start with a couple of old quilts or blankets.

Thanks for suggestions. She is somewhat un-grey dog in that she is quite extroverted and active, unlike our first grey who was more typically chill. Her scratching is VERY loud with the canvas. I think we’ll move her softer (but durable) downstairs bed and see if that works, and have her wear her sweater.

Put a couple of old blankets on her bed so she can fluff and arrange them as she likes.

And yes... she may very well be cold. 

Our Nigel is also a nester and digs more when he's cold.  He has been wearing his house sweater for about a month now.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Good news!

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020