possible bloat?

johnwe

My 12 year old grey woke last night retching. H did this several times. No output at all. No vomit. I got worried after he had done this a dozen times or so. Around 4:30 I decided a vet visit was called for. 

Off we went. 

They took blood. Took an image and vet said she did not think it is bloat. Said he has gas. He's seems reasonably himself. They gave him a shot for nausea. I fed him breakfast, as vet advised, when we got home about 7am. 

Around 11:30 he had some heaving sounds, he got up and stood to do this. Again no vomit. Not super energetic heaving/retching. Normal stool and pee. Normal behavior recently.

Vet says his white blood cells are a little high, but could mean several things.

We already had vet visit scheduled for next week. Vet said don't return today unless he vomits. He's resting again and falling asleep.

Thoughts?

Technically, a build up of gas could be called "bloat."  But not every build up of gas is dangerous.   I'm surprised the vet didn't suggest a Gas-X tablet or something to help dissipate it.  I understand your worry, but generally, if things are going in and out of his stomach/intestines relatively normally (eating and eliminating), it's less dangerous.  The *really really* bad thing is the torsion issue which can develop as the stomach sort of inflates and twists around - and nothing can get in or out.  Gas and unproductive vomiting aren't necessarily an immediate danger. 

You've had xrays and the vet has said it's not a torsion, and it could be many other things causing him to dry heave and feel nauseous.    If he stops eating/drinking and eliminating, his stomach area feels tight like a drum, and his heartbeat is super fast - then the vet is immediately in order.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Johnwe, I would still give him a Gas-X.  Hope he returns to normal soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just now seeing this.  I'm with the others on trying a Gas-X tablet.  If you are hearing any little high pitched squeals from the gut then there could well be some trapped gas.  You want regular Gas-X, nothing added to it.  You can give one tablet, and if gas persists you can give a second one. but any time I've given a hound Gas-X, they've usually let out a huge belch within 30 minutes. 

Here's a checklist for Bloat Symptoms that you can reference quickly when you suspect a problem.  We keep a print out of this chart on our refrigerator for quick access. 

http://www.bmd.org/bmdcr/bloat_chart.pdf   Be sure to write your Vet's phone number in the space provided as well as that of your local E-Vet. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

4 hours ago, johnwe said:

He ate dinner last night and seemed to have pepped up. He did wake up last night once with some sounds, but seems to be feeling much better.

We're thinking a recent addition of greenies to his diet might be the culprit. :(

Seems likely. He could even have chunks of one sitting in his stomach. Not sure if that would show up on x-ray or not, but I have seen some amazing things vomited up by dogs weeks or months after being ingested. In one case it was 1/3 of a red rubber kong (still intact). In another it was a glove, also still intact. 

Agree with others that gas-x could give him some relief in the meantime. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 2 months later...

My 13 year old pug was having a very similar thing happen. At the emergency vet, her xrays showed her stomach full of gas and distended. We went home and about a week later she was still having problems, off and on. Went to our regular vet and blood work pointed to diabetes. She is now on insulin and her digestive/gas problem is gone. She is now ravenously hungry all the time.