Nail-safe flooring options

NeylasMom

What non-carpet flooring do people like that won't get scratched by dog nails? I do not want vinyl so hardwood, engineered hardwood, bamboo, laminate, etc.? Also preferably some texture to it so it doesn't feel super slippery. This is for living/dining areas, hallway, bedrooms, and office. I love tile, but don't think I want to deal with keeping the grout clean. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We've had a top-end laminate down  in our kitchen for over 20 years. 

Our kitchen is huge and we mostly live in it, as do the dogs on their 4 big Costco beds.  :)  

We are a 'shoes-on' house.   I also have 5 horses so it's also a 'boots-on' kind of house, too  ;) 

We have 50+ year old hardwoood in the living room/bedroom and it's in pretty good shape, but we have area rugs on most of it and those floors don't get near the use as the kitchen.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The new plank floors are more than durable. But you do not want a vinyl product so omit the Armstrong products. We have them for over 10 years and Joe has specked them in commercial spaces. They are great. You also need to check out a good flooring showroom. Oversize porcelain tiles are great,very little grout they can look like cement. Pierelli rubber flooring? Super high tech look!

I would avoid bamboo. I don’t have it, but when I was looking at flooring a couple of years ago the salesman told me that bamboo was not a good option for people with dogs, it was “softer” than other types of flooring. I have very wide plank wood-look tile that I really like. It has some texture to it, the grout has not been a problem. I agree with going to a flooring showroom, there are so many options these days.

1 hour ago, cleptogrey said:

The new plank floors are more than durable. But you do not want a vinyl product so omit the Armstrong products. We have them for over 10 years and Joe has specked them in commercial spaces. They are great. You also need to check out a good flooring showroom. Oversize porcelain tiles are great,very little grout they can look like cement. Pierelli rubber flooring? Super high tech look!

What type of floors do you mean by plank floors? Do you have a link maybe? Will also check out the rubber floor.

Remolacha, thanks, I thought I remembered hearing something similar about bamboo, but wasn't sure. I put down porcelain wood plank tiles in the kitchen of my condo before I sold it. I LOVED that floor, and I was so proud because I did it myself. Broke my heart to have to move out and not enjoy it. I could see putting some sort of tile in the entry way/hallway, but not the bedrooms and not sure about the living room. House has a sunken living room off the entry/hallway. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

2 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

We've had a top-end laminate down  in our kitchen for over 20 years. 

Any idea what brand, if it's still around?

Cleptogrey, I just started looking and I love the idea of that rubber floor for the kitchen! 

We have stone floor tiles throughout our downstairs, and although I love it for the living areas I wouldn’t want this in my bedroom. The grout isn’t a problem as it is dark grey so it doesn’t show up dirt too much (the tiles are a thick slate). Pros - it is used with underfloor heating which is great for the winter, but it stays lovely and cool in the summer, so Buddy can find some relief by lying on it after catching a few rays in the garden. It hides a lot of dirt but it very easy to vacuum and wash. Cons - Buddy has had to slow his pace a little as it is a bit slippery when he tries to chase toys at full speed, but he has learned very quickly to do this. I don’t think it would be so great without underfloor heating though in the winter.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

9 hours ago, Trudy said:

Check out the new vinyl plank flooring. We considered replacing our tile and carpet w it, but would be a pita to do without ripping up tile to get same floor levels.

with most new floors one will need sub-flooring. joe has installed quite a few of the floating vinyl floors. i'm sure jeff can easily manage the task. 

and Jen:

our porcelain floor/walls in bathroom also have dark gray grout. we never see the dirt. i chose a tile that is used in commercial building space. i never see the dirt! https://gstile.com/product/empire-porcelain-stone/generals-grey/ . for you the key is probably to look commercial, not residential.

i'm still waiting, but not holding my breath to use this http://www.rubberfloors.com

plank flooring https://www.armstrongflooring.com/residential/en-us/vinyl-flooring/luxury-vinyl-tile/luxe-plank-best.html

Edited by cleptogrey

Do you have any idea what that rubber tile costs? I couldn't find that info anywhere.

That first one is vinyl. :(

I did search and any of the rubber ones that I liked had no price info. I could call, but this is for a house I just sent an offer on so we're not there yet, lol.

11 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

with most new floors one will need sub-flooring. joe has installed quite a few of the floating vinyl floors. i'm sure jeff can easily manage the task. 

Jeff is broken :lol:

The floors we were looking at could go down over our tile, but it wouldn't work that way with the rooms that have carpet without those stupid transition things. So we'd either have to put down subflooring after ripping out carpet or rip out tile. Not something we are interested in doing for new floors.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:39 PM, Trudy said:

Check out the new vinyl plank flooring. We considered replacing our tile and carpet w it, but would be a pita to do without ripping up tile to get same floor levels.

We installed the new vinyl plank in the "dog room" of our last house, and loved it so much that we're in the process of installing it throughout in our new place. Totally waterproof, dog nail proof, looks like wood, and is super easy to clean. Has some texture so the dogs don't skip and slide like they were on the laminate. Lowe's sells SmartCore which had the underlayment already installed (this is what we went with), and Home Depot has their equivalent called LifeProof. Totally in love with it!

• 1 month later...

So after deciding vinyl was definitely out for environmental reasons, FB sucked me in. I found a company called Flooret that seems to offer a quality vinyl flooring that is less scary. I still have a couple of questions that I'm going to contact them about, but I got the samples in the mail yesterday and I really like one of the floors:

https://www.flooret.com/raeburn-72-click/

I wouldn't have picked something with so much color variation, but when I used their see in your room feature I realized that with the brick fireplace being so red, the normal dark floors I love don't work as well. This would give me some of that darker brown, but also the warmer colors that match the fireplace. I also really love the larger planks. 

Does anyone happen to have this flooring? Would love some feedback. 

Also not as sure about putting this in the bedrooms and hallway, but I feel like the flooring should carry throughout with the exception of the kitchen and maybe the entry.

Love that!

my son has vinyl plank in his finished basement and they love it.  It's at least 9 years old and has worn very well. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I like it!

I was trying to find the thread about your basement flooring because this weekend I saw an HGTV show where a homeowner put one of those poured epoxy floors (like for garages) in their basement and it looked pretty good!  Waterproof, scratchproof, extremely durable - especially if you'll be holding classes down there.  I would imagine it's fairly affordable as well since it's for large spaces.  And you can customize the colors, add glitter ;)  etc!!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

18 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

So after deciding vinyl was definitely out for environmental reasons, FB sucked me in. I found a company called Flooret that seems to offer a quality vinyl flooring that is less scary. I still have a couple of questions that I'm going to contact them about, but I got the samples in the mail yesterday and I really like one of the floors:

https://www.flooret.com/raeburn-72-click/

I wouldn't have picked something with so much color variation, but when I used their see in your room feature I realized that with the brick fireplace being so red, the normal dark floors I love don't work as well. This would give me some of that darker brown, but also the warmer colors that match the fireplace. I also really love the larger planks. 

Does anyone happen to have this flooring? Would love some feedback. 

Also not as sure about putting this in the bedrooms and hallway, but I feel like the flooring should carry throughout with the exception of the kitchen and maybe the entry.

Thanks a lot! I clicked on the link and now Flooret ads are showing up on my Facebook page :rolleyes:

Just now, Remolacha said:

Thanks a lot! I clicked on the link and now Flooret ads are showing up on my Facebook page :rolleyes:

Omg, FB is ridiculous with the stalky ads. But to be fair, that's actually how I found Flooret. :lol