Our 10 year old Greyhound River is healing from an amputation of her outer right toe on the front left leg. Her bandage got wet. More context is below. What do I do?! 

About seven nights ago, she came inside limping. I checked her and thought maybe she stepped on something but didn't notice anything aside the limp. We called the vets and despite greyhounds being notorious for cancer in their legs and paws, they told us to wait another day and come in if she was still limping. Her left front paw was swollen the next day.

We took her to the vets last Wednesday and the outer right toe was broken. She has surgery on Thursday and came home a few hours after.

A splint and bandage would take 6 to 8 weeks of miserable healing and the doctor suggested a toe amputation, which would heal much faster and be better for her in the long run due to her age and the fact that limping around in a splint for 8 weeks when we are moving to a property with 2 acres of land would torture her. 

They amputated the toe on Thursday and she has been wearing a thick bandage since. I woke up this morning to rain and put on a sandwich baggy as best as I could, but it fell off and now its wet. I called my mother, whose away at the moment, and she told me it would be fine. I asked her to call the vets since I'll be going to a doctors appointment at 10 am. She said it would be fine and I told her it wasn't suppose to get wet, that it could cause infection, make her more uncomfortable and miserable, etc. Its only been four days! She has been taking a pain pill once a day and an antibiotic twice a day.

What should I do? I'm so scared! I feel like an idiot.

First don't worry. She will be fine. Yes the bandage will need to come off if its wet but in my experience you have a few hours to get her back to the vet for a bandage change or else change it yourself if you have the materials and know how.  It may not even need rebandaging depending on what it looks like. Regardless you will need to keep her from licking it etc.  Many people wind up having to bring their dogs back to the vet for various rebandagings for various reasons. You might ask the vet for their suggestions on what to put on the foot to keep it dry. As you found out a baggie is not strong enough.  Some people get used IV bags and tie them on with a ribbon or something gentle. You can even use plastic grocery bags and tie it on with the handles of the bag. Just make sure it is not too tight. But it will be OK. You did the right thing by coming here and asking. This is the best place  IMO to find such answers. Let us know how it all works out.

She needs to see the vet and have a clean dry bandage put on. This happens all the time so don't beat yourself up about it. It is hard to keep bandaged feet dry. You can try Glad Press N' Seal, it works fairly well. You can ask your vet about Medi-paws, they are boots made to fit over splints and bandages when going outside.

Good luck and hope River heals quickly. 

One of my hounds had a toe ampt. also, it did heal quickly and easily.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Yes.  Bandage change.  It's a bit early to try and go without the bandage, so you do need to have one put back on.  You should just be able to take her in for an appointment with one of their techs to do the rebandaging.  Cheaper and faster that way.

For legs and feet I always insist on rebandaging every 3-5 days anyway.  Greys lower extremeties are easily and quickly capably of getting pressure sores under bandages, so I insist on and pay for extra sessions so the covering gets changed and the leg gets looked at much much more often than your vet will tell you is fine.

You won't be able to order it in time for this one, but a Mediboot is really good for covering bandages on legs and feet.  They are a good thing to keep on hand in your first aid kit.  For potty trips and quick outs in rainy weather or even just dewy grass Glad Press N Seal work really well.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

3 hours ago, greysmom said:

Yes.  Bandage change.  It's a bit early to try and go without the bandage, so you do need to have one put back on.  You should just be able to take her in for an appointment with one of their techs to do the rebandaging.  Cheaper and faster that way.

For legs and feet I always insist on rebandaging every 3-5 days anyway.  Greys lower extremeties are easily and quickly capably of getting pressure sores under bandages, so I insist on and pay for extra sessions so the covering gets changed and the leg gets looked at much much more often than your vet will tell you is fine.

You won't be able to order it in time for this one, but a Mediboot is really good for covering bandages on legs and feet.  They are a good thing to keep on hand in your first aid kit.  For potty trips and quick outs in rainy weather or even just dewy grass Glad Press N Seal work really well.  

This. Ask your vet if they carry the boot though. That's where I got mine.

Otherwise, the largest size of the PAWZ boots might also work.

https://smile.amazon.com/PAWZ-Extra-Large-Dog-Boots/dp/B018OID984/ref=sr_1_9?crid=19AWYZNJ0UUS6&keywords=pawz+dog+boots&qid=1563825307&s=gateway&sprefix=pawz+dog%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-9

They fit snugly (they're like balloons for their feet), which is why I'm suggesting the largest size possible. It wouldn't be my first choose because it may be a tight fit, but they're available through Amazon so if you're a Prime person you could have them tomorrow. Tons of other dog boots on there that are intended for winter weather, but might also work in a pinch.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes go to the vet and get it rebandaged. They can check on the healing progress and more importantly it'll give you peace of mind. :)

When Grace had her foot operation I used to cover the bandage with a food bag and then cover that with an old sock to give her some grip and protect the bag. The sock would go far enough up her leg to be gently fastened around her ankle with micropore tape stuck to the sock not her fur. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time