It's Not The Nose, It's Whats Behind It.

I have always said my greyhounds had good noses whether they were supposed to or not hehe. Octane is amazing. Not only is it sensitive and accurate but what really amazes me is that he will readily use it on his own-even though he is a sighthound. He will quickly pick up an air scent or follow ground scent. I have known of greyhounds actually getting tracking titles. And really one of THE most amazing things is that Octane love love loves it and actually gets so excited (for a greyhound hehe!) to get to use his nose and do Nosework. And now it is officially reported: " the turbinal morphology of the borzoi and most probably the sighthound group in general clearly shows no skeletal evidence for a reduced olfactory sense." So this confirms what I have observed for years.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1616504718300533?fbclid=IwAR1-DeLIoqv2AJjHQRRhcGljGiGTMCJ4gxqcXTWUpP9aFOasSyMpxIfrHWw

Edited by racindog

That's cool. Every greyhound I've ever walked with spends more time sniffing than observing anything around them. With Rocket, his nose was to the ground for the entire walk.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

That is cool. Noseworks is so much fun. Paddy Mayhem was just getting started and he was a quick study and loved it. It was one of, if not the one, thing that tired him out and you could see how satisfying it was for him. You will have a blast with Octane.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I've seen Johnny execute a perfect scent-catch head turn for a pee-mail--it's too bad that's about the only thing that catches his interest!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

:lol Reminds me of when Buck and I went to look for a lost greyhound in a partially wooded area in East Texas. We got out of the car and about twenty steps in Buck alerted me he smelled something. I was so excited...until he led me straight to the live trap with the McDonald's Filet-O-Fish inside. Their noses do work.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks for the stories GTalkers! I really enjoyed reading them. I'm reading them and shaking my head and saying 'yep-thats right-see they do use their noses-and they like it too!' What hunters they truly are to have good noses AND extraordinary vision!

:lol Reminds me of when Buck and I went to look for a lost greyhound in a partially wooded area in East Texas. We got out of the car and about twenty steps in Buck alerted me he smelled something. I was so excited...until he led me straight to the live trap with the McDonald's Filet-O-Fish inside. Their noses do work.

:rofl