Dental - Oozing/bleeding

How much oozing/bleeding is normal right after a dental? Violet is having more than we've experienced. She did have 9 teeth removed. Most of those were smaller incisors in the front, three on top and 4 on the bottom. That seems to be where the bleeding is mainly coming from (maybe). She also lost a big molar on top and the one behind the big molar on the bottom.

My poor girl. She came through the anesthesia piece with flying colors, which is never a guarantee with her, but after a few hours of napping her face is swollen and she is clearly not feeling great. :(

Just gave her another snack. Will wait a little bit to make sure she keeps it down, though she is ravenous so I doubt she will have issues and then I can give her another small meal with the first dose of Galliprant to hopefully help with the swelling. Until now she's only gotten Gabapentin.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think it can vary quite a bit from dog to dog. I’ve had a few that oozed and drooled more than I expected, and longer. As long as she is oozing rather than freely bleeding I wouldn’t worry. If the bleeding seems heavy, I would take her in (or to the evet if yours isn’t open)

After Percy's dental I sat up all night and watched him drool. A lot of blood in it but he wasn't gushing it. He'd coded on the table a few minutes after they finished but he rallied. He was a known bleeder so he'd been given Amicar during the extractions and Tranexamic Acid for the post-procedure days.

By the next morning he was fine and demanding breakfast. I soaked his kibble. Losing a whole bunch of teeth didn't slow him down at all.

I would wonder why her face is swollen. Did your vet comment on that? Don't be surprised if there's some blood in her stool. She's probably swallowed some blood today.

I hope Violet feels better in the morning.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

She lost a lot of teeth from the front where your going to see it more, so I would go with what was said above - volume is bad, oozing is ok. You might try and keep her head elevated, if at all possible.

Hopefully her swelling goes down and she recovers quickly! :kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

They did warn me she might have swelling. It's mostly in the area where the big molar was taken out so I think that's expected. She also had some pretty severe periodontal disease in some areas so I imagine the cleaning was deep? :dunno

The oozing seems to have slowed dramatically in the last couple of hours. She is wolfing down food, meds, and supplements so I think she's doing as well as can be expected.

Thanks for the reassurance about the bleeding and well wishes. :heart

She's on Tranexamic acid and Yunnan Baiyao, fyi. We start the TA 3 days beforehand and the YB one day before regardless of extractions since she was urinating blood clots after her first dental.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Do you have arnica (homeopathic remedy) at hand. Go for at least a c30 and give it to her several times a day. It will reduce the swelling very fast.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Did the vet give pain meds and antibiotics? Lucy had the 3-day Onsior for pain and it helped. She was also oozing quite a bit for the first 24 hours - I put her head on facecloths so any blood-tinged drool would end up on that.

Thanks. She's on pain meds, but no antibiotics. We discussed beforehand and she felt they were unwarranted prophylactically. The bleeding seems to have stopped, a small amount of frank blood on the blanket this morning from overnight, nothing since. Her right side is still pretty swollen, but she seems comfortable and is eating and drinking without issue. Waiting for them to call me back to see if there's anything else I can do for the swelling. I unfortunately missed their check in call this morning.

But she seems pretty good overall. Some nasty poo this morning so her morning snack was canned GI food, but I'm impressed with how well she recovered from the anesthesia. She even woke me up in the early morning because she needed to go out to pee.

Peggy has just had two bouts of gum/dental surgery. The first removed 10 or even 11 teeth and she bled for quite a while after that but with towels it wasn't a problem. There was a lot of dark tarry blood in her stool so she'd lost quite a bit of blood. The vet said they had her on fluids all the time and that surgery was longer than they would have liked. With Tramadol she bounced back to eating soft foods by the end of the next day and was good after day 3.

The second bout of surgery, which saw 6 teeth having to come out, and deep gum problems with the big 3-rooted teeth, was not so onerous, the anaesthetic cause no issues at all, and she was back to good by the end of day 2. That time she lost about 1/4 the amount of blood she did the first time. In fact the most trouble she caused was when the vet checked her mouth and gave her an antibiotic shot at the end of the second day and, for his troubles, she gave him the GSOD at full volume!

So glad your dog is feeling better.

Fwiw, just in case anyone reads this in the future, the vet said we could try cold compresses/ice packs for the swelling. We did one last night and it really helped!

I've tried them for other things in the past and she hasn't loved them, but she happily tolerated this so I could tell it felt good. It worked best laying it next to me and then having her lay down with the swollen side resting on it. A little petting and see was content to sleep like that for a good 15 minutes. I was shocked how improved it was after though some did come back. So we'll keep those up.

Glad she's feeling better and improving rapidly! Gentle {{{smooches}}} for her!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Glad she's feeling better and improving rapidly! Gentle {{{smooches}}} for her!

Thank you. :)