Corns

Like most greyhound forums there are always questions about corns. Greyhound-Data has a forum and a person from the U.K. just posted this.

My ex racer Enchanted Halo developed corns when we brought her home from racing kennels. It is fair to say I tried every remedy I read about in an attempt to relieve her pain. Nothing was effective although we had some success with gaffer tape.

Early last November I read about a pioneering experimental flexor tendinotomy technique used to treat corns EXTERNAL LINK

I contacted Mike Guilliard in the UK and the treatment was provided here in Ireland by Denis Beary at the end of November 2019 in his Canine Treatment Centre. He treated both her corns with the surgical procedure.

I took her yesterday for her final follow up consultation and her corns have gone, she is no longer in pain and no longer hobbles on hard surfaces. There is no doubt she is a much happier dog as a consequence of this pioneering treatment.

Just something else to ask your vet about if you have a corn dog.

Dick

WOW, that could change a lot of dogs' lives! Having had a corn dog, I would have done ANYTHING to make those evil corns go away....it's too late for Jack, but I hope others will try this!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Thanks for posting this!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Ronee suffered from corns, but would let us hull them for her - she is gone now :( Phog (beware of phog) suffers and wont let us near his feet! So excited for a new treatment possibility for him!

Thank you for posting!

Edited by teri_d

Thank you so much for this.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

This vet initially began researching corns due to a relative having a greyhound with horrible ones. On the "Greyhounds With Corns" Facebook page there are quite a number of UK (where Guillard is located) hounds who have had the surgery. No long term results as of yet, but it appears to be successful for as much as 6 months with no pain, no limping, and no return of corns (which disappear after surgery).

Several vets in the US have tried the surgery after reading his information with similar results.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This vet initially began researching corns due to a relative having a greyhound with horrible ones. On the "Greyhounds With Corns" Facebook page there are quite a number of UK (where Guillard is located) hounds who have had the surgery. No long term results as of yet, but it appears to be successful for as much as 6 months with no pain, no limping, and no return of corns (which disappear after surgery).

Several vets in the US have tried the surgery after reading his information with similar results.

This is good to know.

This is good to know.

Yes, it's very exciting for those of us with corn dogs!

Along with this he's also done research into what causes corns, and it seems that most - if not all - are caused by some sort of deep toe ligament damage. It's always been thought that at least some of them are viral in nature like human plantar warts. But he had loads of people send their hulled corns to him and found no viral component in the samples. So he settled on this type of surgery to see what would happen.

Finally we might have a real cure rather than years of only management.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Fingers crossed it is a long term/permanent cure for this affliction. I only hope that by removing the pressure from the centre two toes it doesn't transfer it to the outer toes which will become the load bearing ones.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 1 month later...

Not yet. I imagine it will be a while since he just started doing it about 6 mos ago. Though there are a lot of vets here in the States talking with him about it - many, many people on the FB page are asking their own docs to talk with him.

HeyRunDog, I'm sure displacment is an issue they are exploring. I mean, this basically just creates a "sprung toe" - something that happens quite frequently on it's own, so I wonder if owners are seeing corns on their "naturally" spung toe dogs?? :dunno