A New Tick Threat Has Been Found In 8 American States

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/08/us-invaded-by-savage-tick-that-sucks-animals-dry-spawns-without-mating/

Posted as an FYI. No known diseases in the US from them yet according to the article, but they are known to carry numerous diseases where they originated overseas.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Afraid to go outside? Agoraphobic? You are more likely to be killed in your home than anywhere else....

Tick Solution: pave over your lawns, build a water feature moat, never walk near anything green. Coat yourselfs in a mix of vaseline and pyrethrins. Carry a flame thrower. Shave yourself and your dogs, and inspect hourly.

Home solution: Sorry, can't help you there. Other than never going home, yours or anyone elses...Even a hermit cave has the occasional falling rock... Live on the beach, dying from shark attack has a very low probability. So stay in the water a lot. Keep looking up for falling objects tho. Watch out for box jellyfish brougtht to the USA by tanker ballast water, also a new phenomina cuase by knee jerk over-regualtions..

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

I'm pretty convinced ticks, or rather TBDs are going to be our demise. :P

Seriously though, I had heard about the incident in NJ. Scary to see they're spreading like they are, including to my state. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yep. Ticks suck.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Supposedly our native opossum likes to eat ticks. Or get some guinea fowl to peck around the yard. :bgeorge

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Oddly enough no one in our old established neighborhood (with a dog in almost every yard) has a tick problem. I've been here for 16 years and 7 dogs and have never seen a tick on my dogs or me.. My vet said if one goes 10 miles north it is a different matter. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg