Greyhound Cannot Hold Water Down

My greyhound cannot hold his water down but he is eating and pooping normal. He just started with this. He is not over drinking and I stand there with him. The minutes he drinks a little bit of water he gags and throws it out. If I hold his head up Fter he drinks he holds it in. What coild be wrong? Some times I am seeing him pant until he falls asleep.

The symptoms you're describing could be several things so it's difficult to say. He needs to be checked by a vet for an accurate diagnosis and you want to make sure he doesn't become dehydrated due to this inability to keep water down. Doesn't sound like you need an E-Vet visit, but I would call your vet in the morning and get him in ASAP.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Try elevating both the his food and water bowl. Our first greyhound did this, elevated bowls helped stop it. Once you elevate the bowls, evaluate him for a day or two. If the water issue stops. problem solved. If it continues, Vet time. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Try elevating both the his food and water bowl. Our first greyhound did this, elevated bowls helped stop it. Once you elevate the bowls, evaluate him for a day or two. If the water issue stops. problem solved. If it continues, Vet time. :)

Thanks for picking up on the fact that I totally forgot to suggest that, even though I've done the same for Rocket. :riphair Glad you thought of it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

His bowels have always been elevated and I have been giving him the water bowl to make sure he is drinking some water. I called his vet but has nothing available to a week from this saturday. I will call them again tommorrow mornibg and see if I can get him in this week as an emergency.

I wouldn't be as casual as some of these folks if this is new and it's happening every time he drinks.

I agree, this doesn't sound like a normal thing :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yes. Its new and its everytime he drinks water. Whats weird is that he is holding down his food but not the water. Now he does not want to drink water. So I am getting bread and soaking it in water or a handful of pasta in water so he does not get dehydrated. He has a vet appointment tommorrow morning. Iam hoping its not something serious. I just went through a big scare with my other greyhound with cancer and had a medal plate taken out of his leg and now dealing with a corn with him.

No water intake at all is rather serious. Dehydration can lead to organ failure.

Is the skin at the back of his neck tenting?

What color are his gums, and how long do they take to get from white to pink when you apply thumb pressure?

What color is his pee?

Is he weak?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Well it's Wednesday, and you had originally said he won't be seen until Saturday, which is a long time to only have water through food.

Let us know how he's doing tomorrow after the vet. Good luck!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Can you experiment with a different type of bowl for the water: metal vs plastic vs ceramic? What if you add some low sodium broth to the water or add extra water/broth to his kibble?

If your vet can't quite put his finger on this I would think he/she would give your boy water via subQ.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I just finish feeding him in which I add water to his kibbles anyways to water down the pumpkin that I also give them. I noticed he drank a little bit of water on his own after his meal. But he does have an appointment tommorrow morning just in case, I noticed he coughed this evening. What worries me is that both them go to daycare every saturday to exercise but they are not mixed with any other dog. I want to thank evetyone for their responses and support. I will post tommorrow after the vets. I hope they can pinpoint it right away because he does not like the vets.

You need to learn a bit about the basics of what to do and what NOT to do, and what's an emergency (this was an emergency, and I cannot believe I'm one of the few who thinks so).

I would urge you to buy a book on veterinary care for pet owners.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The vet saw my dog today and everything looks fine. They checked him and I had them do a bacteria test came back negative. They also checked to see if he had a fever and he did not. He does not look deyhidrated and he is holding his food down. The doctor just recommended to give him gatorade instead of water. So when I got home, he started drinking the gatorade and held it down. Because gatorade has so much sugar, I am adding it to their water because I think the sugar is giving my other dog gas because he was drinking it as well. I will be watching him closely to make sure he continues to intake water.