Hookworms

Guest kidwellca

I have. It used to be quite common that a dog didn't have hooks. And if your dog had hooks, they could be eliminated with one round of drugs. I think I've had 4 that didn't ever need meds for parasites. (Oreo, Jacey, and Silver--and now Jane. And Tigger had tape worms, but not hooks.)

Jane was a 7-year-old retired brood mom when she came to Atlanta in July 2016. I don't know if she ever had hooks then or earlier, but she didn't have hooks when I adopted her in November 2016, and hasn't acquired them since. (She and the boy dog both tested negative this January.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Both of my Greys have come home with hooks. Lola has had a particularly stubborn case. These hookworms are the roaches of the intestinal parasite world...they're everywhere and they're indestructible.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I have never had any dog with hookworms.

The only issue my pets have ever had is giardia or coccidia, and both of those nasties rode in on some purebred kittens that were shipped from breeders out west.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Do you have a dog with hooks?

The track a dog comes from might tell you nothing. How would anyone know if the dog got the hooks at the track or an adoption group? That's not a knock on either the tracks or adoption groups, just saying any parasite can come from a number of places. Plus your dog may have moved around.

What was your dogs track name?

Hooks are very hard to eliminate.

It has nothing to do with greyhounds specifically or the track where they raced.

Dogs from kenneled environments often have hooks, as do cats for that matter. And because they are very hard to eradicate, a negative test at adoption is not necessarily true. This has no reflection of the level of care the animal received prior to adoption nor prior to arriving at the kennel situation.

Hooks happen and they suck. Well, literally they do, but it is a PITA to get rid of them.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Those of you who have had greyts without hooks, what track did your dog come from?

One from palm beach in 2012 -no hooks, never had worms the whole time we had him, died of imuno-deficiency at 7

One from derby in 2015 at 75% of race weight and full of worms, 2 courses of panacur and worm free since

One from derby in 2017 -dewormed at vetting and again in the prison program, still fighting hooks 4 months later

There are many hookworm threads here, but the next most recent one to this is all about the difficulty in getting rid of these "new" hooks.

Guest kidwellca

Do you have a dog with hooks?

The track a dog comes from might tell you nothing. How would anyone know if the dog got the hooks at the track or an adoption group? That's not a knock on either the tracks or adoption groups, just saying any parasite can come from a number of places. Plus your dog may have moved around.

What was your dogs track name?

I did have a grey that had hooks. She's gone now, leaving this world last week. And, yes, I'm plenty upset about watching her body be depleted by these nasty little worms! If it weren't for hookworms, I'd still have her and about $3,000 more in my checking account. My dog came from the Sandford Orlando Florida track. According to my vet, new studies are showing a particularly resistant strain or hookworm coming up from Florida. As grey adopters and advocates we should be particularly concerned about this issue, afterall, who wants to adopt a pet that is going to get deathly sick, cost thousands of dollars, and possibly inevitably die!

Soji's Mom

Edited by kidwellca

I'm so sorry about your soji. My Grey raced in WV and I think spent time in a kennel in SC before getting picked up by a rescue located back in WV. Came with hooks. We've been treating and will retest next week.

Guest kidwellca

Over 23 years of having greys, my 10 came from all over. Including 2 from Sanford Orlando.

No hooks.

Once again, I am so very sorry about Soji.

That is awesome news!

I'm so sorry about your soji. My Grey raced in WV and I think spent time in a kennel in SC before getting picked up by a rescue located back in WV. Came with hooks. We've been treating and will retest next week.

Best of lucky to you with the retesting!

I'm sorry to hear about your pup.

I haven't heard anything about a new resistant strain of hooks only in Florida.

What's your dogs racing name? I'll see if he raced at other tracks.

Her name was Shotgun. Thanks for you help!

Guest kidwellca

I have. It used to be quite common that a dog didn't have hooks. And if your dog had hooks, they could be eliminated with one round of drugs. I think I've had 4 that didn't ever need meds for parasites. (Oreo, Jacey, and Silver--and now Jane. And Tigger had tape worms, but not hooks.)

Jane was a 7-year-old retired brood mom when she came to Atlanta in July 2016. I don't know if she ever had hooks then or earlier, but she didn't have hooks when I adopted her in November 2016, and hasn't acquired them since. (She and the boy dog both tested negative this January.)

Are these paintings or photographs of your greys? They are gorgeous! You have been so fortunate! Thanks you for your response!

Over 23 years of having greys, my 10 came from all over. Including 2 from Sanford Orlando.

No hooks.

Once again, I am so very sorry about Soji.

Thank you so much for your response! You have been fortunate, indeed!

A friend, Adrianne Kimbrell, has taken my hi-res photographs of the dogs and turned them into hi-res artwork. She changes all the boring background in the photos. She did it as a fund-raiser for an adoption group.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest kidwellca

You are so right, they truly do suck!

A friend, Adrianne Kimbrell, has taken my hi-res photographs of the dogs and turned them into hi-res artwork. She changes all the boring background in the photos. She did it as a fund-raiser for an adoption group.

Very classy!

Edited by kidwellca

That is awesome news!

Best of lucky to you with the retesting!

Her name was Shotgun. Thanks for you help!

There is no dog registered in the past 10 years named Shotgun, but there are over 50 with Shotgun in their name. Some ran recently and others not so recent. Some at Sanford Orlando and others not, but since I do the thread How Your Dog Ran At The Track I know people think their dog ran at X track and the dog either didn't run there or ran there and a couple of other tracks.