Looking For Feedback On Vomiting 6 Year Old

we have littler-mate girls now 6.5 years old. Frannie has started vomiting in the past couple of weeks. She does not vomit food and has a decent appetite, she is spirited and otherwise acts normal. She vomits yellow bile, small amounts. Lot's of dry heaving. It happened about 5 times total and always while in her crate, early morning, maybe late night after we've gone to bed. She never has done this during the day. We've taken to muzzling her while she hangs out in the kennel because she like to eat roots and dirt sometimes. Anyone ever experience this?

we give our Larry a 20mg famotidine daily as he will vomit bile often if we didn't give it. We feed at 6:30am and again at about 4:30-5pm and I will give him a couple medium milkbones or other treats around 12pm-1pm just to keep something in his stomach.

how often do you feed? when she's vomited has it been a while since she last had eaten something?

also curious, why is there roots and dirt in her kennel? is she kept outside?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

She probably needs a little something more on her stomach. Try portioning out her current amount of food into three feedings, or add a substantial snack if she can handle the extra without gaining weight.

A generic acid reducer given 20 before one meal a day will likely help as well.

FWIW - While dirt eating, and pica (eating non-food items) is quite common in greyhounds, and usually isn't a sign of anything wrong in her diet or hysically, in my dog with IBS, frantically eating non-food things is always a preursor to having an attack of her IBS. A day or so of soft, mucousy diarrhea follows, then it seems to pass. She doesn't have these spells often anymore since we've gotten her diet figured out (she intolerant to any amount of chicken), and I only mention it as something to maybe talk with your vet about, particularly if your girl's poops are not good along with the pica symptoms.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with the snack suggestions above. If it seems to happen only during empty stomach periods, she might need some food in her stomach to help settle it.

Totally agree with this. I give our Grey and our Poodle mix a late night snack every night. Our Grey doesn't really need it, as she can go a whole day with no food, but our little one will not eat in the mornings if I don't give her something, and she vomits yellow bile.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to leave a follow up reply here. Giving my sweet Frannie a little kibble before bed has stopped her rising early with an upset stomach. Thanks everyone. Of course her sister Chloe thinks this is a great idea, so we'll have to keep an eye on her svelte figure for her...

I wanted to leave a follow up reply here. Giving my sweet Frannie a little kibble before bed has stopped her rising early with an upset stomach. Thanks everyone. Of course her sister Chloe thinks this is a great idea, so we'll have to keep an eye on her svelte figure for her...

You could always just trim a little of their normal food from a prior meal and give *that* as the small meal just before bed. It doesn't have to be extra food, and doing it for both would make it an easy routine for all. No weight gain required!

That's great. All of ours get a bedtime snack, but only one of them needs it. We just deduct the food from mealtime so it works out the same for the daily total.

It is also an incentive for no shenanigans on last outs, since they all want that bedtime snack. Quick business and all back in right away. If anyone dawdles, the others go get him.

It is also an incentive for no shenanigans on last outs, since they all want that bedtime snack. Quick business and all back in right away. If anyone dawdles, the others go get him.

:lol

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter