Getting Our First Grey

cgs

Hello, I'm so glad I found this place. We're adopting a greyhound next weekend--I met him today. He's straight off the track--no foster home. It'll be interesting. I posted a question about the first night in the behavior forum. I'm excited, but also a little nervous. We have a small dog, but have never had a big one. I'm at home during the day, so I'll be able to focus on him. Hoping it goes well. He seems to be a pretty calm dog.

:welcome2 from Miami!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Congratulations!! :welcome2

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I'm excited, but also a little nervous

I'm like this while I'm waiting for every new dog -- a combination of "I can't wait!" and "Oh, no, what have I done?" So far, it's always worked out ok. :) Most greyhounds are so calm inside the house that you forget how big they are.

Has your small dog met him yet?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Our small dog did meet him. We went to the rescue place and checked out several dogs. The one we're getting is the first one we met. The dogs sniffed at each other a little and my dog at one point gave a little "back off" yip and the grey was fine with that. The rescue lady said it all looked good. He was also the calmest on the leash. The other one we considered also seemed good with our little dog, but was harder on the leash. He was red, which is what I wanted, but we're getting the black one, which is not what I wanted. Oh well. I thought calmer/easier (the rescue lady thinks he'd be the easiest of the group) was more important than color. Our little dog is black, so if they cuddle up together, they'll be one indistinguishable lump. I looked at a few others too, but they either seemed too interested in our dog or too hyper. There was a female I liked, but another couple was checking her out and decided to take her. The one we're getting was also pretty disinterested in the other couple's tiny little dog. My neighbor over our back fence has three chihuahuas, so I want a dog that isn't tempted to jump the fence and chase. We're getting him Saturday! Yikes! I've ordered a crate (the one I borrowed from a friend is too small) and got a coat for him and a collar and tag. He'll come with a martingale collar and leash.

Welcome, Percy! He is a beautiful "tuxedo" -- Just you wait until you find the best food for him and that black coat fills in and gets shiny and soft. :)

I trusted my adoption group's first choice when I got Jeter, and it has worked out fine. What does your little dog think of the new dog in his territory?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

At first, our little dog, Lulu, just kept looking at us, like why have you ruined my life and when is he leaving. But he doesn't bother her at all. He sniffed her butt once, she gave him a dirty look, and that was it. She seems to be getting used to him and isn't giving us that look anymore. I've taken them on a couple walks together and they do just fine. Not much interaction yet, but no issues at all. She's not territorial about us or about food. He's not territorial about food at all either. I've picked up his bowl while he was eating, just to move it. I've picked up the kibble around his bowl (he's a total slob) and put it back in while he's eating. Lulu has finished his food when he's left some uneaten. He doesn't care.

Oooo-so handsome! I'm in MD too - what group did you use?

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I love the white tip of his tail too! Thought about naming him Tip/Tippy/Tipster--something like that.

Hi ozgirl2, I got Percy from Greyhound Rescue. What group did you use? I looked at Greyhound Welfare first, but in the end, I'm lazy and Greyhound Rescue had fewer hoops to jump through. Path of least resistance.