Eating Poop

Guest Jewelberry

Guest Jewelberry

So we have had our retired racer about a couple of weeks and she is doing great!!! Only problem we have is that she keeps eating her poop! We try to always go out with her and watch her but it cannot always be done. We are also trying to get out there almost every day and keep it cleaned up. Welp she was sleeping soundly as I was up late wrapping and she started to cough and then threw up. Of course it was nasty and smelled like poopl ugh! does anyone elses female or male do this? I know it has to be bad for them. and its disgusting. Thank you

!

Let her go out wearing a kennel muzzle with a stool guard.

http://www.greyhoundsonly.com/greyhounds-only-store/accessories/236-stool-guard

That set up is also handy to have if you need to help her not lick a wound or bandaged area. It also helps when my greys decide to help me harvest from my garden...tomatoes are a real favorite.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Actually, yes, it can be done that you always go out with her. There are plenty of us who leash walk 100% of the time!

As "Lbass" said, get a turnout muzzle and add a stool guard.

Also, if it's just the one dog you have, I had good luck using a product called "Forbid." You sprinkle it on their food, and after they digest it and then try to eat their poop, it makes their stool repulsive to them! Worked great for me with my mixed breed dog--completely cured him after one attempt to eat "Forbid" tainted poo!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's pretty common.

You can try some of the products out there and see if any of them work (do a search here for the *many* threads regarding it), but the easiest thing is a muzzle-and-stool guard.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Our girl needed to be watched constantly. I got the poop guard and yelled no each time she approached a pile. She stopped doing it and hasn't done it in over two years. For some reason, dogs that never do it, seem to like the frozen offerings.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Jewelberry

I have been putting her muzzle on her when letting her out to potty and have seen an improvement. Thank you! I dont know why I didnt think of that simple fix.

Guest Jewelberry

She is able to get her muzzle off now! It is on tightest setting. Do they do well with those soft muzzles? I didn't think they were supposed to get their muzzles off.

Edited by Jewelberry

NO to soft muzzles. If she wears a tag collar, you could get a little strap that attaches the muzzle strap to the collar, makes it harder to get off ... but not as safe if she gets tangled in something. Or, unless you are gone a lot and she has a dog door, just watch her when she goes outside. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

NO to soft muzzles. If she wears a tag collar, you could get a little strap that attaches the muzzle strap to the collar, makes it harder to get off ... but not as safe if she gets tangled in something. Or, unless you are gone a lot and she has a dog door, just watch her when she goes outside. :)

Yes to the extra strap in the muzzle. Actually we slipped a snap on the muzzle strap and would just snap the muzzle to the D-ring.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Some dogs are poop-eaters, some are not. MOST do it when they're new, and then stop. Some continue forever, but only do it selectively. My Diana loved "Poopsilces". Frozen poop. After her first year with us, she only went after poop in the winter. The WORST was when she'd carry a "poopsicle" in the house, to her bed. That was NASTY. And yes, a couple times when she was new she ate it and threw it up. The smell of vomit and feces is..... something to be remembered.

The muzzle is a simple fix. And time is too. After a couple months, it won't be necessary IMHO.

I've found that our grey likes it when it's frozen will only do it when we feed certain flavors of food- chicken or duck most often. As soon as we switched her to a venison flavor of the same brand, she stopped. She's also less prone if we go outside with her and follow closely as she wanders through the yard. Watch them closely from a few steps away, give a stern "no" when they get close to eating one, and redirect their attention back to doing their business before hurrying them inside so they don't have more of a chance.