Should We Try The Dog Park?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi All!

We're getting our new girls on Oct 1, and we are almost fully ready for them. We've hooked up with the local greyhound group (GLOHW) and went to the romp & roo yesterday to see what that's all about, and it looks greyt!

But that's only 1x a month, and since we are getting 2yr olds, I'd like more opportunities to socialize them and hopefully they won't have issues with other dog breeds and maybe they won't have issues with them?

Our previous grey didn't do awesome at dog parks-- Haka had *very* high prey drive and was ok with bigger dogs but if anyone had a small one in with the big ones, bad things happened. This led to muzzling and we weren't comfortable with him muzzled and other dogs not (obviously) so we gave up on the dog parks unless there was a grey-only event.

So-- we checked out the local spot-- seems to have good medium sized dogs, though a few smaller ones (like, big pugs, small bulldogs) in with the others, although there is an area for "small dogs".

The question, since we are so out of practice--

do you go to regular (non-grey) dog parks?
How do you introduce your greys to the other dogs if you don't know your new dogs that well?
How long should we wait before going? Should we try going in the first week or so?

How do you keep you anxiety under control :) ?

TIA!

Soren

I hate the traditional small field, fenced dog parks. They're very unnatural for the dogs and also can quickly become overcrowded. The only dog parks I typically take my dogs to are large walking trail type parks. It's much more natural and less threatening for the dogs as they tend to meet up with only a few new dogs at a time, they have space to circle each other to sniff properly, enough space to just walk on by if they don't want to meet, and meetings are not typically prolonged as people are walking in different directions. If we meet up with a dog walking the same direction as us that seems to have a similar energy and the dogs are enjoying playing with each other then I'll typically strike up a conversation and walk with the other person for awhile. Unfortunately, most of these types of parks are not fully enclosed. We do have one in the Edmonton area that is like this that is completely fenced, but that's not really common/typical, so sadly this isn't a very easily accessible option for most sighthound owners who do not have the recall training to offleash.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

None of my greys ever liked the dog park except the water access to the lake. That was one reason we quit going. Rex especially hated it unless he was in the water access part. He'd just stand at the double gate exit and look mournfully at everyone leaving in hopes that they'd take him with them. Buck would sniff the perimeter, poop. then walk under all the other human's hands for pets.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest sorenkkg

I hate the traditional small field, fenced dog parks. They're very unnatural for the dogs and also can quickly become overcrowded. The only dog parks I typically take my dogs to are large walking trail type parks. It's much more natural and less threatening for the dogs as they tend to meet up with only a few new dogs at a time, they have space to circle each other to sniff properly, enough space to just walk on by if they don't want to meet, and meetings are not typically prolonged as people are walking in different directions. If we meet up with a dog walking the same direction as us that seems to have a similar energy and the dogs are enjoying playing with each other then I'll typically strike up a conversation and walk with the other person for awhile. Unfortunately, most of these types of parks are not fully enclosed. We do have one in the Edmonton area that is like this that is completely fenced, but that's not really common/typical, so sadly this isn't a very easily accessible option for most sighthound owners who do not have the recall training to offleash.

I agree. Where we used to live, we had a bad thing happen at the enclosed type, and then we found a fully enclosed huge space that you basically walked around which was nice. Haka got humped though (aggressive female lab) :o and then another time, he and Aleeya double-teamed on a puppy schnauzer (they were muzzled, thank G-d) and so that was the end of that. Sigh.

The one we're thinking about is a traditional fenced area but is quite big. I guess we may have to just try it to see?

There are lots of other places where we can walk with them on-leash and yes, may run into some other dogs, and our neighborhood has lots of dogs, most are on-leash (I worry about the ones that aren't, in the local park, sigh). I'm hoping that at 2yrs old the girls we are getting aren't breed-ists yet and can make friends all over.

None of my greys ever liked the dog park except the water access to the lake. That was one reason we quit going. Rex especially hated it unless he was in the water access part. He'd just stand at the double gate exit and look mournfully at everyone leaving in hopes that they'd take him with them. Buck would sniff the perimeter, poop. then walk under all the other human's hands for pets.

our previous greys had no love of the water, but I can relate to that gate-stalking thing... isn't that so typical at a greyhound play date? They all just hang out by the gate? Or go to any human for pets and cuddles? I do love that about them :)

The one we're thinking about is a traditional fenced area but is quite big. I guess we may have to just try it to see?

Are you thinking of Totoredaca? Be mindful that large areas gives you less ability to keep an eye on what's going on with your pup and if any issues happen, it's a long way to run to go to the rescue.

There is a greyhound only hour on Sundays I believe from 1-2 at Prospect Park in Acton. Been many times long ago, decent park, but since it's breed specific is a greyt alternative for you. There is also access to a lake right opposite the park so they can have a quick dip to cool off when they are done their run.

I stopped going to dog parks, just because they were more of a pain than of a joy. My boys would always return with an injury of some kind (hurt toes, a bout of D because they ate something or just ate grass constantly, scrapes, running INTO a hole that was dug out by a dog and not filled, scraps with other non grey breeds especially little ankle biters). Plenty of reasons for me to never go again. Stick with the Romp and Roos or grey specific runs in a controlled environment if you want socialization with other greys IMO.

At 2/3 years old, a good few walks a day keeps them in decent shape. Give hiking on the Bruce Trail a go, you'd be surprised how much they love it and it tires them out pretty good!

Don't go to a park within at least a month of getting your dog. I would say 6 months even. They are still settling in to your routine, and being fresh off the track still want to show off their muscles. You don't know your dog well enough to know what's going to happen if you are in an all breed park. And this goes without saying not to muzzle in an all breed park because they can't defend themselves, but they might just get aggressive - and they haven't lived in your home long enough to know that about them yet.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I might suggest not going the first week as you do not know your dog and what they are capable of. It could end up being overload on your dogs with so much that is new going on. I would suggest instead doing walks around your area and bonding with your dogs and getting started on training. If your dogs can handle 10 to 20 minute walks, then increase it to 40 minutes or so. After 3 to 4 months then try out the dog parks however, ensure that your dogs have recall to come back to you immediately just in case there is an issue.

The dog park in MyTown is a former baseball field. Since we know Missy Soul is not fond of other dogs, we only allow her in the park when there are no other dogs present. If she's with another Greyhound, like when Miss Cocoa visited earlier this year, only the two Greyhounds, both muzzled.

We've had one incident where we were leaving the park, and an owner with small fluffies allowed them to jump out of the car trailing a leash, or were being held by a toddler who was not capable of controlling the dog. One fluffy charged Missy Soul as I was loading her, and attempted to snap at her. We all know who would have come out on the losing end of this battle, and whom would have been blamed, even though Soul was leashed to me at the time.

You! Out of the gene pool!

Guest sorenkkg

Are you thinking of Totoredaca? Be mindful that large areas gives you less ability to keep an eye on what's going on with your pup and if any issues happen, it's a long way to run to go to the rescue.

There is a greyhound only hour on Sundays I believe from 1-2 at Prospect Park in Acton. Been many times long ago, decent park, but since it's breed specific is a greyt alternative for you. There is also access to a lake right opposite the park so they can have a quick dip to cool off when they are done their run.

We've moved to Grimsby now :) . We went to Todoredaca once... just Haka, unmuzzled. Someone had a yorkie there, rolling around on her back and literally squeaking. That didn't go well. :o

We used to go to the Acton thing often when we lived in Mississauga and it was good, though I also agree about the constant issues (not a fault of the group)-- either D from being at the park or a broken toe or whatever. But they sure did love to run around!

Good point about getting to know the girls and waiting a bit. I think we'll wait till spring or maybe a really quiet day later in the winter in a few months. We do have a large backyard so it's not so much the exercise as the socialization aspect that I'm wanting to make sure we cover somehow.

I might suggest not going the first week as you do not know your dog and what they are capable of. It could end up being overload on your dogs with so much that is new going on. I would suggest instead doing walks around your area and bonding with your dogs and getting started on training. If your dogs can handle 10 to 20 minute walks, then increase it to 40 minutes or so. After 3 to 4 months then try out the dog parks however, ensure that your dogs have recall to come back to you immediately just in case there is an issue.

good advice also, thank you!

My physio guy only wants *me* to do 20 min walks (working on a wonky ankle) so I'm planning a couple per day with the new girls and some backyard time figuring out "fetch" hopefully, and recall games etc. Lots to do with new hounds!

The dog park in MyTown is a former baseball field. Since we know Missy Soul is not fond of other dogs, we only allow her in the park when there are no other dogs present. If she's with another Greyhound, like when Miss Cocoa visited earlier this year, only the two Greyhounds, both muzzled.

We've had one incident where we were leaving the park, and an owner with small fluffies allowed them to jump out of the car trailing a leash, or were being held by a toddler who was not capable of controlling the dog. One fluffy charged Missy Soul as I was loading her, and attempted to snap at her. We all know who would have come out on the losing end of this battle, and whom would have been blamed, even though Soul was leashed to me at the time.

My old dogs and fluffies did NOT work out either, and we did give up dog parks entirely. I guess I'm an eternal optimist? Glad you didn't have a bad outcome in your situation.

If you want to socialize your dogs, classes are a better option - as long as you can find some fun things to try out with a positive reinforcement only trainer. They are good for bonding with new dogs and teaching them some really important skills.

But I think you need to know your new greyhounds a bit before going. A particularly shy or timid dog won't do well thrown into a big class, whereas an outgoing one will be in his/her element. So I would give it a couple months at least before deciding what they can and can't handle well as individuals.

Congrats by the way!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My greyhounds didn't seem to like dog parks but my galgos love them. I'm very careful to take them during off hours and I leave if it becomes crowded. I agree with waiting a while before taking your new dog. Get to know each other first.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Fetch?

Good luck with that.

I think with two dogs you will have zero need for "socialization" since they have each other, and if you have a fenced yard, they will no doubt wear each other out.

I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to teach a sighthound how to fetch. That there is retriever work! ;)

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest sorenkkg

Fetch?

Good luck with that.

I think with two dogs you will have zero need for "socialization" since they have each other, and if you have a fenced yard, they will no doubt wear each other out.

I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to teach a sighthound how to fetch. That there is retriever work! ;)

LOL!

Haka LOVED fetch! It took him a bit to catch on, but he would jump and get the ball or whatever out of the air, and if it was snowy, he'd track it and dig dig dig in the snow, and then bring it right back to us. He wasn't bad with the "give" command, and then we'd do it all over again.

I have to say the whole game lasted maybe 5-10 minutes tops ;) but he was great at it!

When we got his sister Aleeya, she loved the fun and the running after the ball, but never ever got the hang of "give" so she'd do zoomies past us waving the ball or toy and never stopping and just running around like a psycho with her prize! :D :D :D lol.

So I guess we'll see if the new girls like the game or what! :)

If you want to socialize your dogs, classes are a better option - as long as you can find some fun things to try out with a positive reinforcement only trainer. They are good for bonding with new dogs and teaching them some really important skills.

But I think you need to know your new greyhounds a bit before going. A particularly shy or timid dog won't do well thrown into a big class, whereas an outgoing one will be in his/her element. So I would give it a couple months at least before deciding what they can and can't handle well as individuals.

Congrats by the way!

Good idea Chris, thank you. Sounds like we'll wait till Spring to do anything and just spend fall and winter with the girls getting to know them, and I guess some encounters with our neighbors will suffice for a while. I've never been to a class with a dog actually, so that might be a fun idea. We managed to teach our previous dogs a few things (Haka could sit and he learned fetch, and Aleeya could give Paw and also Other (paw) but did *not* like learning to sit. They both mastered stairs and knew their names well enough).

We are counting down the days till oct 1! Very excited!

One socialization idea is to take the dogs to a store that allows dogs inside -- a pet supplies store, big box hardware store, etc. You're likely to meet another leashed dog there.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

"How do you keep you anxiety under control :) ?"

I would think this is the first thing to work on - your attitude. If you are uptight around strange dogs or locations, I would not be surprised to see your dogs pick up on that.

How?? Heck, I don't know.

• 1 month later...