Nighttime Growling/snarling

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

Hey all, I haven't posted in a very long time. I've googled my face off looking for an answer to this nighttime problem we were having. I found next to nothing, even deep in T&B forums. But since I've found the solution, I feel like it's the right thing to do to put this right here.

Ozzy has woken up snarling and barking nearly every night for a few years now. It's not just once, it's over and over again. We thought it was that he needed more space or that he was having bad dreams. Thinking it may have been regular ol' sleep aggression, we tried setting up barricades between him and Laika, we tried moving him to another part of the bedroom all together. We've tried correcting him and we've tried soothing him. We took him to the vet and got everything checked, and nothing was abnormal. We were about to try anti-anxiety meds. What we did eventually notice was that the barking and snarling would stop as soon as we turned on a light. Without turning on the light it would go on and on. After many months of turning a light on 4-5x per night we had the bright idea of getting him a little night light. And sure as :censored , the barking and snarling completely stopped. As it turned out, our boy was afraid of the dark. All this time. Now he sleeps next to his night light and hasn't had the issue since.

Mystery solved. Who knew?

Interesting. Congrats on finding an easy solution!

Have you had his vision checked in light (Ha!) of this discovery? Probably by a professional canine eye vet since it may be something esoteric.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Interesting. I've noticed that with older dogs too that they like some kind of nightlight. Even a charger with a LED light will suffice. Their contrast/dynamic range deteriorates similar to how ours does as we get older. Like when we no longer find driving in just after the sun went down to be easy. I really dislike driving in a westerly direction in Spring and Fall too and will often wait til the sun has properly set.

Good job! I love that you care enough about your dog to work at finding a solution to his discomfort.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Maggie has a very difficult time seeing in the dark and gets very anxious. Our home has nightlights in the places that she frequents and life is much quieter now! Congrats on finding a solution!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Well done! I keep those little electric holiday candles plugged in year round in various places around the house, just enough light to help the seniors without disturbing my sleep.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 2 months later...
Guest nicky604

Good for you for figuring that out!

And thank you for posting!

I was wondering how well greyhounds see in the dark.

I've been walking my greyhound at night in the park (it gets dark at 4 pm now...ugh!)

and he seems to do better seeing in the dark than me but I wasn't sure.

So I take it that yours was growling and barking until either his eyes adjusted or a light was switched on..