Kicking Up Dirt After Peeing

We've had "Leica", our 2 year old greyhound for 5 months now. Just about a week ago, he started scratching/kicking up the dirt right after a pee. I understand dogs probably do this to "spread their message around". What I'm curious is to know if this behavior is common to start after maturing a bit, or if it's just something dogs might pick up at any age, by example. As far as I know, he hadn't seen another dog do it until about 2 weeks ago, when a little Jack Russell mix displayed it in front of Leica.

I've seen it come about as a learned behavior. One dog in our walking group is a very enthusiastic kicker after potties. Multiple dogs started this behavior after seeing Louie do his thing. Some only do it on walks with him, others have taken it up as a regular habit.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I thought it was mainly dogs that did that but my fairly dominant lurcher bitch quite often does it. She lifts her leg to do a wee too.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I've seen it come about as a learned behavior. One dog in our walking group is a very enthusiastic kicker after potties. Multiple dogs started this behavior after seeing Louie do his thing. Some only do it on walks with him, others have taken it up as a regular habit.

Interesting! The Jack Russell that must have taught my boy, was ALSO very enthusiastic (like a Jack would ever do anything WITHOUT enthusiasm!).

I thought it was mainly dogs that did that but my fairly dominant lurcher bitch quite often does it. She lifts her leg to do a wee too.

It's funny to watch my grey do it. While he's scratching, he always looks off to the side, and I imagine him saying, "Yeah, that's me, and don't you forget it!"

My first sighthound, a female whippet-mix would often lift her leg too.

It must be at least partly instinct???

My Bazzy did it after a poop. He almost always pooped on walks instead of in the yard, so I had to be extra careful to have him poop only in common areas so people wouldn't think a turf aerator had run amuk.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

It must be at least partly instinct???

My Bazzy did it after a poop. He almost always pooped on walks instead of in the yard, so I had to be extra careful to have him poop only in common areas so people wouldn't think a turf aerator had run amuk.

Come to think of it, my old whippet mix onlt did it when she pooped too!

Yeah, it must be partially instinct.

It seems like some dogs do and some don't. My terrier tried it once and spooked herself and never tried again :lol

😨 LOL

My grey is a 5 year old male (I've had him 4 months) and he kicks/scratches after pooping most of the time and sometimes after pee. I don't think much of it since my childhood dog did it all the time too. She was female and a marker. We got her at 3 months old but I can't remember when the behavior started.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Marking with the scent glands in their feet\

Here it was is what I've always heard It was learned behavior - I had Barkley 5.5 year before Pitou came and he never did itt once.. After watching Pitou he does it every time. It never comes and goes with Pitou.

I've had personal experience with canine sweat glands. Many years ago, I took some lessons from a professional tracker. This guy was so good he could track over bare stone. After finding an initial physical track of a fox on a gravel path, we were able to follow it just by the scent of each paw plant.

My first greyhound learned it from another male greyhound. He started doing it soon after he witnessed a friend's dog do it. Of the two males I have now, one does it (seems to have learned it on his own) and the other does not. :dunno

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

It's fairly likely he may have seen other Greyhounds do this behavior on his breeding farm or in a kennel environment. As others mentioned, it is considered scent marking the ground as a double marker (in addition to leaving pee-mail or stool) in the territory. I've had female/male fosters do the same behavior upon arrival, but I'm usually able to redirect their behavior. Perhaps our Greyhounds just give up since they're on an equal playing field (so to speak). Their stool is picked up instantly. :)

It's fairly likely he may have seen other Greyhounds do this behavior on his breeding farm or in a kennel environment. As others mentioned, it is considered scent marking the ground as a double marker (in addition to leaving pee-mail or stool) in the territory. I've had female/male fosters do the same behavior upon arrival, but I'm usually able to redirect their behavior. Perhaps our Greyhounds just give up since they're on an equal playing field (so to speak). Their stool is picked up instantly. :)

Thanks. Yes, as I mentioned in my OP, I'm aware why they do it, but just wasn't sure if the behavior is based in nature ot nurture.

I think you may be right in him originally picking it up in his prior life. It's quite possible this particular behavior went into a kind of remission until he became more at ease and sure of himself in his new home. And quite possibly, witnessing the little strong-willed Jack Russel display it was just enough incentive to help him start it bavk up again!