Stinky Farts

Guest TomOfGreyhounds

Guest TomOfGreyhounds

Hello

I have had my hound «Friday» for over a month now.

He has terrible gas!

Have you guys encountered this? If so what have you done to be able reduce this if at all?

I am feeding him the Costco brand of dog food, but when that is over I plan on switching him to Dehydrated Raw Dog Food (Canisource)

Yogurt, probiotics, and whatever else you can think of. When you find what works, stick with it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It's most likely the food. Try a different type of protein for the next food. In the meantime, you can try plain yogurt with the food, or a probiotic as Irene said above. Be sure to only make one change at a time so you know what works and what doesn't. I believe that Costco will take food back if it doesn't work for the dog, so you don't have to make him eat the whole bag before switching.

Also, some treats are also the cause of nasty gas, so pay attention to what treats the dog is getting, and if it continues, change the treats. Again, one change at a time or you will never know what works and what doesn't.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Could be the food, could be anxiety. What ever the cause, probiotics have worked lessen the frequency of Wendy 's paint-peeling poots for 10 years now. Our vet recommended Purina's Fortiflora and we've stuck with that.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

If your dog is new from an adoption kennel or track, it could also be hookworms, which can cause bad gas. Even if he's been treated once or twice, he could still have a stubborn infestation as they are horribly difficult to clear. A strain from Florida seems to be resistant to most of the normal treatment regimens. Look down the thread list for the most recent one for hookworms for some suggestions on treatments that have worked.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

These dogs can clear a room and take paint off the walls. Usually silent and deadly too. Some kibbles work better than others, every individual is different so just do some trial and error but introduce new food slowly and go through the whole bag before switching again, unless it turns into terrible D. I feed raw now....zero stink :)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

We changed food from Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, which was ~mostly~ ok, but Monty could still clear a room a few times a week, to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Venison and Sweet Potato and the air has been clear for months! We switched him because the other dog needed lower fat food and it was easier to switch both than keep them on separate foods, but this side effect has been wonderful (and was completely unexpected).

You may need to try different foods, and watch (or eliminate entirely) treats that he gets. Our experience shows that a fix may well be out there. Good luck. :)

Edited by Fruitycake

Johnny's trigger is beef, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest TomOfGreyhounds

These dogs can clear a room and take paint off the walls. Usually silent and deadly too. Some kibbles work better than others, every individual is different so just do some trial and error but introduce new food slowly and go through the whole bag before switching again, unless it turns into terrible D. I feed raw now....zero stink :)

What is the raw diet that you feed him?

And how quick did the gas subside afterwards?

The gas is gone nearly immediately because what is going in his system. I'd say within 24 hours for sure. It's the same if you ate asparagus for example, and your urine has that smell. You've just ingested it, and once it's in your system and then out of your system, well there you go.

I feed a version that is entirely ground, and there are many companies around but this is who I use up here - http://www.bigcountryraw.ca/whyraw.phpYou can also feed whole (for instance bone in chicken leg and some organ). Lots of good info in the Food section of the forum if you decide to turn to the raw side.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015