Lame After Fall, Foot Clubbing, Leg Withering

Sorry this is long...

We have an 8.5 year old grey (Ava) who was pretty active up until a month or so ago. On the afternoon of May 28, she was roaching on our bed and in her sleep rolled off onto her side. We have a low platform bed. I went to her and she seemed ok and got right back on our bed. We were headed to a bbq (birthday and Memorial Day) so I gave her some Tramadol in case she was sore. She seemed better, still active. A week later I noticed that she started clubbing her left foot. That same night (Sunday June 4) I felt something on her ankle and it was a long gash with red around it. I cleaned it with saline spray and covered it. I had jury duty the next day, but I called the vet on the way there and was able to a late 7pm appointment for that day.

At the appointment, they cleaned the wound and gave her antibiotics and we were told to return in a week for a follow up exam. The wound healed nicely, but she was still having issues walking. Suddenly, she couldn't walk on our floor without falling, she was like a deer on ice. I ordered her Pawz boots on Amazon and they helped a lot just to get her outside to go potty. I called the vet and said that she wasn't getting better and I didn't want to wait for her recheck appointment that Wednesday evening, so I got in that day (Monday).

This vet (our regular one) took x-rays and said they looked perfect?? Then when she was showing me the films on the monitor, she asked the techs to take her back and get another film. She still was pleased with the films, but wanted us to make an appointment with a neurologist at the specialty hospital (the neurologist is already Ava's doctor because she has epilepsy). There was one tiny spot on the films on her spine (or vertebrae) that she was questioning. The vet also took bloodwork that day for a future teeth cleaning appointment.

Our vet called me on Saturday 17 to tell me that Ava's bloodwork is perfect. That same day I noticed that Ava had a huge bruise on the back of her left thigh (they're bald). I told her that they said she had a bruise when they cleaned her wound at the first visit, but I didn't know it was on her thigh. She said the bruise was on the ankle wound, not her thigh. I took a couple pictures and texted them to the vet and asked if I should put anything on them, cold, heat or leave them alone. She said to leave them alone.

In the meantime Ava and I have a routine to get her out to go potty. I put all 4 of her boots on, her collar and leash and she gets up and we walk together to the back door. Once we get off the vet and into the grass, I take her off the leash and she goes and does her business. Her left foot is clubbing when she squats and she has fallen a couple of times (not fallen down, just collapsing or toppling into the ground) as she is going and I hose her hindend off before we go inside. She can trot at a good clip, but has the left leg lifted. I was walking her back up the deck steps with the leash on, but I was messing her up because we were going slow and she would trip. Now she is able to *run* up the steps quickly without leash and does better.

I did make an appointment with the neurologist, but we can't get in until July 12. In the last few days I've noticed that her left hip is so boney, like it's withering away. She still has an appetite, but doesn't seem excited like she did before. She still sleeps on her bed in a roaching position. She's just not herself, too subdued.

I am fearing she has osteo. Our last grey had osteo, amputation and chemo. I don't think Ava would be able to handle that (since she won't walk in the house). Could this be something on her spine that she could get better with surgery? If her leg/hip is withering, is that irreversible? I called yesterday and we have another appointment with our regular vet at 1015 on Monday. I am scared she won't be coming home.

Yesterday I had my mind made up that she won't, I don't want to put her through all these tests/procedures if there's no point. I talked to my friend last night and she was shocked at what I was saying. Now I have second thoughts, I hate that she hasn't had long to enjoy her retirement, we've only had her 5 years, she's not even a senior.

Agh, sorry this is all so jumbled and rambling! Does the spot on the spine x-ray make sense to anyone (with the symptoms she's having)? The withering of her hip and leg, can that be reversed?

Thanks all,

Kim & Ava

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

A few things come to mind--the fall she had may have nothing to do with the symptoms she's currently having. She could have a clot, nerve damage, disc issues...and yes, cancer. You really need to have further diagnostics done to determine the cause. When they did the rads did they get various views? We're the rads reviewed by a radiologist?

July 12th is unacceptable-is the neuro vet located in a emergency/referral clinic? Sometimes what you can do is go in on emergency the night before and then her care will be transferred to neuro in the morning.

She may need an MRI at this point.

Edited by tbhounds

You need to talk to the neurologist. At this point, all we would be doing is speculating. It could be any number of things that are related to her fall off the bed, or any number of things unrelated to anything else.

If it's osteo, it's likely not in her leg, if the vet didn't see any sign on the first set of x-rays. Unless she's very pain sensitive, an unseen tumor in her leg likely wouldn't cause such a drastic limping issue. Nothing rules it out, obviously, but s/he should have seen something. Plus, the symptoms sound more nerve related to me. And it could be cancer in her spine, or a disc issue, lumbosacral stenosis, or something/anything else.

You just don't have enough information right now. You might call the neurologist and see if he has emergency appointments, or if you can get on a cancellation list.

Good luck :hope

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

A few things come to mind--the fall she had may have nothing to do with the symptoms she's currently having. She could have a clot, nerve damage, disc issues...and yes, cancer. You really need to have further diagnostics done to determine the cause. When they did the rads did they get various views? We're the rads reviewed by a radiologist?

July 12th is unacceptable-is the neuro vet located in a emergency/referral clinic? Sometimes what you can do is go in on emergency the night before and then her care will be transferred to neuro in the morning.

She may need an MRI at this point.

I don't think the fall was that severe to cause all this, or it maybe it just triggered something that would have happened eventually. No, I don't think the x-rays were read by a radiologist, our vet was going to send them over to the neurologist.

The July 12 appointment, I agree she can't wait that long. Yes, her neurologist is at a specialty/referral clinic for regular hours. They are open 24 hours though, so you can go there on an emergency basis. I will check tomorrow and see what our vet's thoughts are on Ava's present condition. She may be able to just send us there for an MRI right from our appointment.

Thanks for your response!

Edited by brindlebaby

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

You need to talk to the neurologist. At this point, all we would be doing is speculating. It could be any number of things that are related to her fall off the bed, or any number of things unrelated to anything else.

If it's osteo, it's likely not in her leg, if the vet didn't see any sign on the first set of x-rays. Unless she's very pain sensitive, an unseen tumor in her leg likely wouldn't cause such a drastic limping issue. Nothing rules it out, obviously, but s/he should have seen something. Plus, the symptoms sound more nerve related to me. And it could be cancer in her spine, or a disc issue, lumbosacral stenosis, or something/anything else.

You just don't have enough information right now. You might call the neurologist and see if he has emergency appointments, or if you can get on a cancellation list.

Good luck :hope

--------------------------

I am hoping tomorrow that our vet will call the emergency clinic and see what she can do, possibly send us there for an MRI. Her spine has been becoming more pronounced (visible) over time, it wasn't sudden, so could that be a sign of something? She has lost weight over the last year although she has a really healthy appetite. She had a really serious UTI that she was hospitalized for a couple of nights a few months ago. She has also had issues with a a nose that won't stop bleeding, not a nose bleed, but her nose becomes raw on the surface. She finished a couple of rounds of antibiotics and prednisone and that finally cleared it up, but now I notice it's back tonight although she hasn't worn a muzzle in a couple of weeks.

I think you're right that they may be nerve related.

Thank you for your thoughts, I am going to bring this all up tomorrow.

I can't help. Just wish your girl well.

Thank you so much!

I forgot to put in my original post that they also put her on Metacam on the second visit (if it makes any difference)!

Edited by brindlebaby

Please also have your dog seriously checked for Lyme disease, or other TBD.

Whatever is causing her deterioration needs to be found immediately. I hope it is something treatable. Dogs can be far too stoic for their own good when it comes to being in pain.

You said the bloodwork was fine so Metacam can't be blamed for Stomach, Liver or Kidney issues

Any updates?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Ava had a tumor on her spine and the prognosis wasn't good. I couldn't put her through any more pain. She and I were on a couch and she passed away in my arms. My heart is shattered, I can't believe she's gone so soon.

Thank you for all your help.

:(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."