Collars For Your Greys?

This might be in the wrong place, sorry if it is! But I was wondering what kind of collars you guys use for your greys?

I'm having an issue with Dory's collar right now. It's a plain black martingale from petsmart, and it works okay, but she's a leaner. She likes to lean against the leash/collar so its snug around her neck, and I haven't really been able to train that out of her. It doesn't seem to hurt her, but the problem I'm having is that it's rubbing all the fur off her neck. The front of her throat is almost completely bald, as well as two spots behind her ears from where the martingale tightens. I know that it isn't the end of the world but it makes me feel bad :/

Do you guys have any better collar suggestions or tips on how to stop this?

I'll definitly look ion Etsy!

What harness would you suggest?? Most of the harness's that I've tried on her have fit super awkwardly because of her being so narrow with such a deep chest.

We have the Freedom No Pull Harness from 2 Hounds and are very happy with it. Sweep is a little over 60 lbs and hers is a large.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

bald necks seem to be a common problem, i agree w/ the silk lined collars. our female can get out of any harness except harnesslead. the hardware and buckles on the no pull harness wore the fur off of felix when i tried it on him, he too used to loose hair under his neck from martingales.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=harness+lead+video&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

is she leaning or pulling???

if leaning then read this:as to getting her not to lean,i don't think it's a matter of collar or appliance used to walk her. how about using a piece of cheese to lure her into a straight standing position, use a clue word- stand straight - when she is straight reward her w/ the cheese. very shortly she will get the meaning of stand straight and will do it on command then add it to your walking, and go from stand straight to walking, correct her w/ the cheese and maybe throw in the word straight. dogs are smart, just one word and the reward when she's moving as desired. people who show dogs use "bait" a reward/treat to have their dogs set up for the ring. they learn what's expected quickly.

It's totally normal for greyhounds to have little or no fur in those places, and it's really not likely to be from the collar.

I have tried literally every possible kind of collar and it made no difference at all.

Does your hound also happen to have a bald butt and/or belly? I just call it "greyhound pattern baldness"!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We have the Freedom No Pull Harness from 2 Hounds and are very happy with it. Sweep is a little over 60 lbs and hers is a large.

I also agree with the Freedom No Pull Harness from 2Hounds - and they also have many beautiful satin limed martingales and velvet tag collars too.

That looks really nice - I only worry about it chafing behind her elbows when she runs. Do you notice that in your dogs at all??

bald necks seem to be a common problem, i agree w/ the silk lined collars. our female can get out of any harness except harnesslead. the hardware and buckles on the no pull harness wore the fur off of felix when i tried it on him, he too used to loose hair under his neck from martingales.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=harness+lead+video&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

is she leaning or pulling???

if leaning then read this:as to getting her not to lean,i don't think it's a matter of collar or appliance used to walk her. how about using a piece of cheese to lure her into a straight standing position, use a clue word- stand straight - when she is straight reward her w/ the cheese. very shortly she will get the meaning of stand straight and will do it on command then add it to your walking, and go from stand straight to walking, correct her w/ the cheese and maybe throw in the word straight. dogs are smart, just one word and the reward when she's moving as desired. people who show dogs use "bait" a reward/treat to have their dogs set up for the ring. they learn what's expected quickly.

It's kind of a mix between leaning and pulling - she isn't actively trying to pull away or to move away when we stop, but she moves just far enough that the leash/collar is pulled taunt and is snug around her neck. It's the weirdest thing, and I've tried correcting it with heel but she's a stubborn little thing, and if I'm not actively watching her/staring at her she'll just sloooooowly start to walk away until it's tight again. Either way, I think I'll try that on our hike today and see how she does!

It's totally normal for greyhounds to have little or no fur in those places, and it's really not likely to be from the collar.

I have tried literally every possible kind of collar and it made no difference at all.

Does your hound also happen to have a bald butt and/or belly? I just call it "greyhound pattern baldness"!

She does have a bald butt and belly, much to my family's endless amusement, but I know that the bald neck came from her collar as she didn't have it before. So I know the collar caused it! I'm hoping that it will grow back, I've left her collar off for a couple of days except for when we went outside, and it's definitely growing back (if really slowly) but it wont matter if I put the collar back on and it just rubs off again

That looks really nice - I only worry about it chafing behind her elbows when she runs. Do you notice that in your dogs at all??

Sweep pretty much only runs when she's loose in our fenced backyard and wearing only her tag collar, so I can't say for sure, but there's been no chafing in her three daily walks for the year or so we've been using the harness. The part that goes under the "armpits" is velvet, so that helps! (I see Cynthia just mentioned that too as I was typing this!) BTW, Sweep's tag collar is also velvet and all her neck fur grew back once we switched to it. We got it on Etsy. We also have and can recommend the 2Hounds velvet jingle-free tag collar. (Sweep has a ridiculous collar collection!)

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Remove it ;)

The straps behind the elbow are velvet, it is as soft as can be :) I love that harness

I might definitely look into that then... When I refer to running I mean dog parks/when we go hiking and she gets a chance to run around a little bit. I think the main reason I haven't switched to a harness yet (other than none of them fitting her right...) was I'm not used to using one and wasn't sure how much of a hassle putting it on and taking it off would be.

Sweep pretty much only runs when she's loose in our fenced backyard and wearing only her tag collar, so I can't say for sure, but there's been no chafing in her three daily walks for the year or so we've been using the harness. The part that goes under the "armpits" is velvet, so that helps! (I see Cynthia just mentioned that too as I was typing this!) BTW, Sweep's tag collar is also velvet and all her neck fur grew back once we switched to it. We got it on Etsy. We also have and can recommend the 2Hounds velvet jingle-free tag collar. (Sweep has a ridiculous collar collection!)

Oh those are super cute!! I'll definitely add it to my list, I have probably 20 collars lined up that I want to get Dory, but I can only afford one right now @-@ So trying to find an all time favorite/one that won't rub off all of her fur.

I use a satin Martindale for tags but I walk him with the easy walk harness. Size large for my 85# boy.

Easy walk harness?? I'll look that one up too! And I'll start searching etsy for velvet/satin lined martingales. I know my family has an old martingale that our past lab used, I might switch to that for a little while, though its a bit big for her.

I jog with one of my girls, using the 2 Hounds harness, and haven't had any chafing issues. I realize that some people prefer to have more control over the dogs head, but harnesses have worked well for me. One of my other girls has two collapsed disks in her neck (this was becoming an issue before she landed in our home) and cannot wear a collar. However, I still have a slew of collars just for fun!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

"That looks really nice - I only worry about it chafing behind her elbows when she runs. Do you notice that in your dogs at all??"

felix was as bald as can be from the velvet lined harness, no problem with the harness lead, less harness, less areas to rub, different material.

he was also totally bald w/ any velvet lined collar, ok with the two hounds plain martingales or laser cut silk(mcKenzie collars have that and she guaranteed that he wouldn't bald- he didn't)

Edited by cleptogrey

Yeah, those plain nylon webbing collars can definitely cause baldness. Hair gets trapped in the webbing and pulled out. Leather martingales don't rub the hair off - both of mine wear them and one is a puller. They wear them for walks and are naked in the house. My old boy lived in his leather martingale 24-7 and it never rubbed the hair off his neck, either. Long Dog Leather makes excellent collars which will last forever :) Here's their Etsy store. I also use a Freedom harness for one of mine as when we are hiking or potentially running into other dogs, I need control over his body, not his head (he can be a bit...snarky with rude dogs and he sometimes gets into stuff he shouldn't on hikes. Wild animal poop. Yum.). As mentioned above, the leg parts are velvet lined and do not rub under the elbows. I have it adjusted a little loose though. My other greyhound refuses to walk in a Freedom harness, no matter how I have it adjusted. I think he doesn't like how it tightens above the shoulders. :dunno

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Aleta

We use the Martingale collars from https://www.etsy.com/shop/40mphpupsand I keep Charley's collar loose. You don't need to keep it tight because when you walk them it tightens up. These are handmade of soft cloth and are washable. My hound came to me half naked of fur from underneath his neck, chest, belly and butt. It comes off at bedtime.