Same Toe Keeps Getting Cut!

Guest Magzy68

Guest Magzy68

Hi everyone,

Our grey, Cosmo, sliced her outer front toe back around Thanksgiving. She went under and was stitched up and healed. About a month later(mid January), the exact same toe and spot split back open while she was in the house.(this time not deep). She wasn't doing zoomies or anything so he thought maybe the other dog accidentally stepped on her. So we went back to the vet and she went on antibiotics and we kept her Bandaged. After about a week it wasn't healing so we took her back and the vet stitched her back up. Then a month after that it happened again (early march). This time it split worse and we did need to go back to the vet. Once again, she wasn't doing anything. Possibly hopping up or down for a treat. That's it. He decided to staple her this time and give it a full 2 weeks to see if it needed more time to heal. We went the whole 2 weeks, didn't let her go crazy, jump or even go down the stairs (bc she tends to Jump at the last couple steps). She healed nicely. Two weeks later which bring us to yesterday...my husband came home and saw the exact same spot was bleeding. It wasn't very bad compared to what it has been, but it definitely was bleeding. While bandaging her up I noticed it's the same exact spot. It looks slightly "sliced" but not very deep. We are calling the vet again this morning to bring her in. We haven't let them free run in the backyard since this first incident back in November (with winter and all it hasn't been an option anyway). She's been leash walked this whole time so we are just so confused. The vet is confused too. We still think the original cut could have been due to her back legs interfering with her front when running and possibly sliced the toe. However, since she has not run since then and this same toe and same spot has split 3 more times since then...we are so disheartened.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us? Would an X-ray even help since it doesn't seem to be a bone issue. We will definitely talk to the vet today too, but I want to throw this out there and see others thoughts as well.

Thank you all!

Michelle

Here is Aiden's toe saga. Does it resemble Cosmo's issue? If I'd known earlier what I knew later on I would have gone straight to the amputation and not messed around with multiple failed surgeries to try to correct a problem that was never going to heal.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Magzy68

Wow. Looks like the EXACT same issue. I'm so "happy" to hear you say amputation because I've been kicking that idea around my head thinking if that makes any sense. I was going to bring that up to the vet. Aiden's story gives me hope that this can be corrected! I will share this story with my vet today. How long was the whole healing process? How is he doing today? No issues? (Knock on wood). Thank you for your insight into this.

It did take a bit of time for Aiden to settle in with his new mode of travel but it was so worth it. Today he is doing just fine without that lateral (non-weight bearing) toe. Good luck, keep us posted ok?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Emma did the same thing as Aiden, just 3 weeks behind him. She also ended up losing her toe. We worked from June until Jan to try to get it to heal.

But she's doing great now. Hardly bothers her. The snow was a bit cold but it is still just a couple months post amp.

Emma did the same thing as Aiden, just 3 weeks behind him. She also ended up losing her toe. We worked from June until Jan to try to get it to heal.

But she's doing great now. Hardly bothers her. The snow was a bit cold but it is still just a couple months post amp.

Emma :kiss2

I am going through something similar with Val, although "only" since the beginning of the year. She is going in on the 19th for more x-rays and a probable amputation. Sigh.

:goodluck Val! Please let us know how she is, ok?

Guest Magzy68

Thanks for sharing Emma's story. Glad to hear she healed up nicely!

I am going through something similar with Val, although "only" since the beginning of the year. She is going in on the 19th for more x-rays and a probable amputation. Sigh.

Ugh. It's not fun that's for sure. Paws crossed for you & Val!

Michelle, please let us know how Cosmo is doing, ok? :goodluck

I had one of these dogs as well. The toe is not getting mysteriously "cut". It is dislocating and tearing the skin. From my experience there is absolutely nothing you can do about it except amputate the toe. If it affects more than one toe-as it did on my hound- then even that option is out. I did find some help from putting TUFF-FOOT on his feet every night but it will continually tear open forever. My vet was board certified. There really is no way to fix it and I realize they are "bad" tears. On my hound's you could see down to the bone when it tore as the ligaments etc had shriveled up basically after being damaged. Nothing is really holding the toe on so to speak..

Just thinking out loud here as I had somehow missed that the explanation for Aiden's toe was dislocation - and I know it's too late for this pup as it was for Aiden - but for anyone who might come find this thread because the problem has just started with their pup...I wonder if it is possible to fix it by wrapping the toe for a long time so the dislocated toe can heal properly. Zuri had a toe that would pop out frequently. Luckily his skin didn't tear as a result, but we had it happen multiple times before realizing it would be a chronic problem. Instead of amputating, we just wrapped it before he would be off leash because that tended to be when it would pop out and were able to successfully prevent additional dislocations for the most part. I don't have a yard so that tended to only be trips to the dog park or hikes so it was manageable for us, but I wonder if I had been more diligent about keeping it wrapped after the first event if the tendon/ligament would have healed properly so it didn't become chronic. I really don't know, I imagine for some the dislocations were happening at the track and it's probably too late regardless. Like I said I'm just thinking aloud. For us we were able to manage it, but last January he did pop it out just walking in deep snow. Had his skin torn every time his toe popped we would have been forced to amputate it, no doubt.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Magzy68

Here is Aiden's toe saga. Does it resemble Cosmo's issue? If I'd known earlier what I knew later on I would have gone straight to the amputation and not messed around with multiple failed surgeries to try to correct a problem that was never going to heal.

Guest Magzy68

Wow! I owe you a HUGE thank you! You solved mystery. I told my vet about what you said. I let him read your post and Aiden's story. He also thought it sounded exactly like Cosmo's situation. He called some surgeons he knows to see what they thought. They both told him he was crazy and that's not possible. They said she must be interfering with herself while running. Our vet told him that she has been leash walked the past few months so that's not the case. Anyway, he put her under today to check things out. He decided to "tug" on that toe in different ways and low and behold...exactly what you were saying happened. He showed us the X-ray of it. So we scheduled a surgery for next Thursday to amputate the toe. I'm happy to finally have answers and to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know it'll be a long recovery road, but I'm hopeful that this will be the fix that Cosmo needs. I can't thank you enough for how helpful you were!!

Glad you finally have some answers! And a toe amp is a relatively easy surgery to get and to recover from for most dogs. Two weeks post amp and she should be good to go for you!

Glad Press-n-Seal is wonderful for keeping the bandage dry during short potty trips. Watch the bandaged leg *very* carefully as Greyhounds tend to develop pressure sores quickly, which will complicate her recovery.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Wow! I owe you a HUGE thank you! You solved mystery. I told my vet about what you said. I let him read your post and Aiden's story. He also thought it sounded exactly like Cosmo's situation. He called some surgeons he knows to see what they thought. They both told him he was crazy and that's not possible. They said she must be interfering with herself while running. Our vet told him that she has been leash walked the past few months so that's not the case. Anyway, he put her under today to check things out. He decided to "tug" on that toe in different ways and low and behold...exactly what you were saying happened. He showed us the X-ray of it. So we scheduled a surgery for next Thursday to amputate the toe. I'm happy to finally have answers and to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know it'll be a long recovery road, but I'm hopeful that this will be the fix that Cosmo needs. I can't thank you enough for how helpful you were!!

Glad we could all offer some helpful history and suggestions.

Please be sure your vet knows to remove the toe as high up as possible so that after she heals up Cosmo doesn't have the toe stump in contact with the ground. That is incredibly painful and would necessitate yet another surgery to remove that piece of bone. Keep us posted and best of luck with your girls upcoming surgery.

Guest Magzy68

Cosmo had surgery yesterday morning. She is in good spirits and doesn't show any sign of pain or discomfort. I think she's so used to her paw being bandaged that this is "cake walk" for her. She's was her normal happy self this morning when it was time for breakfast and tonight for dinner! Let's hope it stays that way! Thank you everyone for your thoughts about this. Praying for a nice speedy recovery!

Thanks for updating us. Very glad to hear that surgery was successful and Cosmo is now on the recovery road. Let us know how she's doing, ok? Good healing thoughts for your girl, sent special from Aiden 1-5!