Aiden: The Toe Is G O N E

Aiden's second surgery on his RF toe was in August. Our awesome vet connected with a toe expert at OSU (thanks to GT!) and we learned that Aiden's toe presentation is apparently "classic for dislocation" whereby the lateral ligament tears, casing the toe to lift and the bone to pop through the skin, thus the "tearing" that we've been suturing. OSU sees this all the time in greyhounds because of their thin skin, whereas in other breeds it would be a non-issue. Under sedation, on the offending toe they cut back the nail to the base so that it doesn't make contact with the ground, which subluxates the bone. Because we routinely dremel so short anyway, we pretty much have that covered. OSU saw all our xrays including those from last year (shoulder, wrist, so much with this poor dog), and couldn't appreciate any osteomyelitis which is great. If the toe blew for a third time our options would be to put Aiden under and cut the nail way back, or amputate the toe. Cutting the nail does carry the risk of the nail eventually growing back, which would necessitate another surgery (#4), so that option came off the table.

Annnd, over the weekend the toe blew again. We are scheduled for amp a week from Friday. Sigh.

9-25-16%201%20Aiden%20RF_zps8yjggktj.jpg

Don't tell Aiden but he's also getting a dental. Sigh.

IMG_5520_zpso5jhklyg.jpg

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thoughts for you and Aiden from me and my own wonky-toed sweetie. (Might need to get that toe expert's name from you someday.) :goodluck

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

He'l feel SO much more better! Really! And the recovery is pretty easy. You got this!

:kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lots of good vibes coming Aiden's way. :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks All for the good vibes. I'm looking forward to finally having this over and done with.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Jan, you have tried everything possible, followed all the recommendations but sometimes it just doesn't work out. As others have said, he will be fine when he heals.

It's a hard but necessary decision for you to make. Remember that you are the best Mom ever!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Jan, you have tried everything possible, followed all the recommendations but sometimes it just doesn't work out. As others have said, he will be fine when he heals.

It's a hard but necessary decision for you to make. Remember that you are the best Mom ever!

Thanks M. These young'uns :crazy:lol

Hey Aiden. My name is MoMo and I am already in da Lost-a-Toe Club. It is knot too bad being down one toe. Just don't let Miss Jan start calling you Chickken Feets or you'll neber hear da end ob it. :kiss2 Best wishes for your surgery. Ice scream is da best medicine dare is post surgery. :nod

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery. We had to have one of Bailey's toes amputated years ago. But she had some issues. Her toe was not amputated high enough, so the end always touched the ground and she had to wear a therapaw. I'm not mentioning this is scare you, rather just something to check with your vet before the surgery. Other than that, no other issues, she was fine on soft surfaces, it healed it quickly and it never bothered her.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Well he will be much happier without it! That is exactly the problem Slim had on both front feet. We could not amputate his though-despite the CONTINUOUS re-injury- because too many toes were like that! So be glad he only has that 1 on that foot and that it can be removed and fixed. Hoping for a quick recovery!

My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery. We had to have one of Bailey's toes amputated years ago. But she had some issues. Her toe was not amputated high enough, so the end always touched the ground and she had to wear a therapaw. I'm not mentioning this is scare you, rather just something to check with your vet before the surgery. Other than that, no other issues, she was fine on soft surfaces, it healed it quickly and it never bothered her.

Yep, we're aware of going high to prevent exactly that scenario. Glad to hear it all worked out for Bailey and thanks for the good vibes!

Poor guy. I'm sure he'll feel much better once the foot and his mouth heal. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Ow :( . But, yeah, best get rid of that bad critter so he can get on with his life!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well dang! Was hoping that wasn't to be the case. Venus had the same problem with both outer toes of her left, front foot. She also had permanently split webbing between the middle toes on that foot. It's possible that contributed to less stability which contributed to the dislocations. Or it could have been because the girl cornered with legs going in every which way. :lol

Only one toe repeatedly split open, but my worry was that if we amputated that toe we'd just be putting more stress on the rest of her already compromised toes. In the long run, it was only a real problem when visiting family where she chased squirrels through a tiny yard with several large trees doing the Greyhound equivalent of barrel racing. If she had kept injuring it in our own yard my choice would likely have been to go ahead & amputate.Lots of dogs run safely with just three toes on one foot.

Good luck!

the girl cornered with legs going in every which way. :lol

the Greyhound equivalent of barrel racing.

Why has no one thought of including that sport at gatherings and such? Greyhound Barrel Racing :lol

Your poor girl, I can't imagine two toes on the same foot being problematic. Sigh. Thanks for the good vibes!

One of my senior dogs arrived with an amputated toe on a rear foot; never knew the story. Most of the time he did fine. Sometimes a toe next to the empty space would swell temporarily; I assumed from extra stress when he was doing his own backyard barrel racing. Kisses to sweet Aiden.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter