Training Command Suggestions

Hello! Just curious what other, more experienced owners have trained their greys to do. So far, my boy has learned some basic manners: stay (especially at meal time), down, down with a stay, and drop it.

What would be your top other commands for a grey to know? Any special tricks that are fun? I can get him to twirl in a circle with a treat, target my hand (for a treat) and jump up (no treat needed!).

Koshi- formerly known as Osh Kosh Harley

"Paw" on command, also helpful if you have a harness that you want them to walk into instead of always picking up their feet!

"Bark" or "Sing" or "Beg" on command to ask for an audible sound. Ryder is also capable of doing a loud bark and using a soft "ruf" as his "inside voice" which can be fun :)

"Back" to get them to back up out of your way! Can come in handy.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

"Leave it," "come," "go to bed," "kennel up" (if you crate), "watch me" or "look at me." Sweep's very good at "sit," but I wouldn't force it for a grey that doesn't ever do it naturally or seems uncomfortable in that position.

A favorite here is "roach," which started out being silly but actually comes in handy when we dremel Sweep's nails. She just rolls right over onto her back and we do her nails upside down. :)

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

"Wait" is the most important word every dog needs to learn.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

"Wait" is the most important word every dog needs to learn.

Well said! He's got that one figured out on walks or going up/down stairs, but I haven't tried that with doors (cars or homes), which would really come in handy.

"Leave it," "come," "go to bed," "kennel up" (if you crate), "watch me" or "look at me." Sweep's very good at "sit," but I wouldn't force it for a grey that doesn't ever do it naturally or seems uncomfortable in that position.

A favorite here is "roach," which started out being silly but actually comes in handy when we dremel Sweep's nails. She just rolls right over onto her back and we do her nails upside down. :)

Thank you! Now that I think about it, "come" needs some work and the "watch me/look at me" command will be helpful for additional training.

I wish I could teach him roach. Unfortunately I haven't seen him do it yet though he's gotten kinda close.

"Paw" on command, also helpful if you have a harness that you want them to walk into instead of always picking up their feet!

"Bark" or "Sing" or "Beg" on command to ask for an audible sound. Ryder is also capable of doing a loud bark and using a soft "ruf" as his "inside voice" which can be fun :)

"Back" to get them to back up out of your way! Can come in handy.

"Paw" is genius, especially for snowboots in the winter. Were you greys already vocal? He'll whine but that's only when he feels I'm ignoring him. He doesn't make a sound otherwise.

You can train them to do all sorts of things. My dogs know dozens of cues.

In descending order of importance (though it becomes a bit of semantics as you get lower down the list):

1. Come

2. Stay

3. Down

4. Leave it/Drop it

5. Relaxed down (I use "Relax" for a rolled hip and "Chill out" for flat on the side)

6. Paw (helpful for putting on sweaters, cleaning feet, trimming nails, etc)

7. Watch me

8. Not jumping up on people

9. Go to place

And then lots of fun stuff!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I had a VERY big red dobie { over 95 pound female} and I always liked EAT while pointing at bad people...but that is not what you meant is it.... :hehe

Hahaha! He's more likely to run up and try to sniff them!

You can train them to do all sorts of things. My dogs know dozens of cues.

In descending order of importance (though it becomes a bit of semantics as you get lower down the list):

1. Come

2. Stay

3. Down

4. Leave it/Drop it

5. Relaxed down (I use "Relax" for a rolled hip and "Chill out" for flat on the side)

6. Paw (helpful for putting on sweaters, cleaning feet, trimming nails, etc)

7. Watch me

8. Not jumping up on people

9. Go to place

And then lots of fun stuff!

Yep, definitely sounds like I need to work on our recall training, paw, and another way for him to get "down." Thanks to all for the suggestions!

"On your bed" forgot that one. I just did a round of commands for Ryder so add that. Helpful if you need them to move from one place to another.

We also did "heel" during our obedience training and I seldom use, but he still remembers it. I use it if he's getting a little out of control on our walks or I want to keep him closer as we walk past people.

"Leave it" well exactly that, don't want him to smell, lick or pick up what we're walking by.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

We use 'big' for a lound bark, with our hands up and 'little' with a shhhhh sign to our lips for a very small woof. She will also bow on command and shake.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Commands? What are these commands of which you speak?

:)

Buck really doesn't do anything wrong, so I have not found it all that necessary to teach him much. When I have visitors, he remains motionless on the couch. He walks nicely on a leash. I guess our big "commands" are "let's go tinkle" and "let's go potty."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest DarkHorse

We've got a few that are specific to our house.

"Down the stairs" means for them to go down a level, either from the bedroom to the family room or from the family room down to the workshop where they get fed. "Up the stairs" is obviously the opposite.

"Through" is used to get them from the family room to the foyer, as their leashes and coats are kept in the closet in the narrow hall between the two. It also works in reverse to get them out of the foyer when we have visitors arriving.

"Out" (or "out of the closet/kitchen) is used for when they follow us into our master closet or are hanging around in the kitchen while we cook. It's different from "go to bed" because they can hang out just outside the door to watch us versus having to lay on their beds.

More general commands include

• "go to bed" (they have to stand on their beds)
  • "outside!" (for going out into the backyard)
  • "walk on" (for ignoring other dogs that are barking at us on a walk)
  • "four on the floor" (for when KB is jumping)
  • "3, 2, 1" (the countdown for them to pee or keep on with the walk when they're taking their time sniffing).

I am impressed with all the commands you good trainers have taught your dogs. Just to offer an alternate perspective, I don't train at all - nothing. I used to do some recall but I now leave that to the dog as well. If he doesn't want to be close to me when we are outside than the leash stays on. Perhaps it's just good luck that I have dogs that don't get into trouble, and seem to always behave in such a way that I never need to correct anything. I feel bad asking my grey to do anything that he is not inclined to do on his own. I now follow the EILF philosphy (Everything In Life is Free). I am sure I would function differently if I had a more rambunctious dog.