Vestibular, Fca, Stroke, Brain Tumor?

Guest egoodz

Our 12 year old grey's coordination and balance has been getting progressively worse since Tuesday. On Tuesday we noticed that she was having a hard time walking, getting up and laying down - falling often and unable to walk straight. I thought yesterday that it was getting better, her occurances off falling were less and we managed a walk without any falls, but last night to today its gotten progressively worse. She fell almost 5 times on our walk last night and she can't lie down on her own, she just falls on her butt. She is noticeably one sided as well with a tendency to drift left and she's displaying a head tilt that wasn't there Tuesday thru yesterday (Friday). I was thinking geriatric vestibular but she wasn't displaying any of the other symptoms such as nystagmus, circling or nausea/vomiting, although she's now displaying a head tilt to the left - something that wasn't there prior to last night. It's also strange that it appears to be getting progressively worse and she's been like this for 4 days and I thought vestibular would begin to clear itself up by now. We have a vet appointment on monday and we're praying its not a brain tumor. Her appetite/thirst seem to be normal although yesterday she didn't eat much. Does FCE or stroke present symptoms like this?

Edited by egoodz

Do you have an E vet you could take her to today?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

FWIW, I've had two with FCEs, and two cats with vestibular disease. All were sudden onset with gradual improvement.

Another dog went from bad to worse (faster than your girl). It did not end well. :( We suspect it was a tumour.

I hope something can be done for her.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A stroke, if it happens in the cerebellum, can certainly cause vestibular signs. However, patients will tend to get better fairly quickly, not worse. With FCE, the vast majority of patients will have their symptoms reach their peak no more than 24 hours after onset, and usually within the first 6 hours.

The key to figuring things out will be determining if her signs are originating from the peripheral or central vestibular system. An information sheet about vestibular disease from the neurologist at which I work is here: http://bvns.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/Handouts/BVNS_vestibular_disease.pdf

Good luck with everything - neurologic disease can certainly be scary.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Is your dog Mercedes? If so, I sent a private reply to Liz who posted for you. Get her to a vet and then follow up with the neuorologiat as instructed. Too many worrisome possibilities to mess around here.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just an update. We took her to the emergency vet, but being the weekend they had no access to an MRI or Neurologist. Vet could only diagnose it as vestibular with potential neurological cause. Symptoms got worse and we put her down yesterday. We suspected brain tumor. Thank you for your help.

Edited by egoodz

I'm so sorry. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am very sorry for your loss. Please feel free to post her eulogy in Remembrance when you are able. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****