Kirkland Kibble

I'm trying to find a dry food for Daisy, who can't do chicken. I took a look at the Kirkland ingredients online and it looks to be totally chicken-free (no chicken meal, no poultry fat, etc). Can anyone confim that? Also, are the kibbles small enough for a 20 pound terrier to manage? She does fine with medium sized milk bones so she's totally capable of crunching things. Just wondering how big the kibble size is :lol Right now she's eating grain free/chicken free Merrick that's $20/smallest bag size. It was the only one I could find without anything chicken in it... Would really love to get her on something that won't break the bank.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

The Kirkland Lamb and veggies is safe. Carl couldn't do chicken either, this was a good and safe alternative for him. I've switched the dog's to raw now, but as I recall it was small enough for any size dog.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Kibble is roughly dime sized and pretty flat. We're using the salmon one, going on the third week now, and so far so good. Can't speak to chicken content though.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I feel your pain. Lilly is chicken intolerant as well - as in, no chicken at all, even tocopherols from chicken fat! Finding a food is a nightmare! Let me know how you like the Kirkland! Lilly has been eating only canned food, but I caught her with her head in the other's kibble bag the other day, munching away! She stopped eating kibble about 2 years ago.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I had to stop Daisy from eating kibble because she'd gorge on water afterwards. It's like it made her super thirsty. Still does, but now I'm mixing it with rice and warm water and some canned food, and that's helping - she'll drink a lot ut she doesn't harass me for more water anymore. She got so bored with her wet food that now she stops eating when the bowl becomes mostly canned :rolleyes:

I sell things on Etsy!

Just an FYI and maybe it's a non issue for some folks but, the ingredients for the Kirkland food are sourced from China. Fwiw.

At this point, whatever she eats she gets! She got bored with her food halfway through the bowl this morning, so I think we'll soon be on to the next thing... Sigh.

Edited by Roo

I sell things on Etsy!

Have you tried adding milk? Two of mine often refuse to eat, but sometimes will go back to the bowl if I add milk.

Cheese gives her the runs, so I'm hesitant to add milk :lol I give her yogurt every day or two and that's fine, but it doesn't entice her to eat...

I sell things on Etsy!

Redbo can't eat chicken products either, so we feed him Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Recipe with Pork, Beef & Lamb (Poultry-Free). We also used to feed him Merrick, but I couldn't justify the price. This food is under the Merrick/Purina umbrella, and Redbo loves it.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Okay, well, we're going back to mostly wet food. She keeps pooping. Every time we're outside for more than a quick pee, she squeezes out some poo. She pooped three times this morning in the span of an hour. I think there's too much bulk in the dry food for her :lol

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest Loves4Greyz

I have tried many brands and flavors of food over the past year. One of our pups finally has normal poop after being put on Kirkland Salmon dry food.

My plan to return to canned food did not go as planned. She won't touch canned! And she stopped eating Merrick. Now she's on the suggested Whole Earth Farms and (knock on wood) eating it more often than not. She'll only eat if I mix in past or rice and fill the rest of the bowl with water, but at least there's some intake.

I sell things on Etsy!

How funny that she won't touch the canned food!! We mixed in a spoonful of the WEF wet food, and my hound almost passed out from delight. Sadly, he had horrible gas so no more canned food.

Good luck with WEF!

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Just an FYI and maybe it's a non issue for some folks but, the ingredients for the Kirkland food are sourced from China. Fwiw.

Diamond makes a boatload of brands including Kirkland and Natural Balance. Don't get me started again on "wholesome made in the USA" Merrick.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

How funny that she won't touch the canned food!! We mixed in a spoonful of the WEF wet food, and my hound almost passed out from delight. Sadly, he had horrible gas so no more canned food.

Good luck with WEF!

I tried to mix in some WEF canned for variety and she refused to eat. She's a weirdo! But a lovable one.

I sell things on Etsy!

• 2 months later...

Diamond makes a boatload of brands including Kirkland and Natural Balance. Don't get me started again on "wholesome made in the USA" Merrick.

You think that's bad, I got a pitch from a pet store owner yesterday and nearly started laughing (I held it together long enough to get a free sample :lol). She was pushing Farmina N&D - GMO-free food that uses only ancient grains and antibiotic-free meat. Made in Italy! $20 for a tiny bag. Now, I'm all for antibiotic-free meats, and I know personally I love ancient grains, but Daisy is a dog who eats fluff off the floor. She's picky, but she's also happy if it tastes like meat. She'll eat the super fancy kibbles, but she still picks the meaty Purina One chunks out of her bowl and leaves everything else :rolleyes:

She's gotten pickier. It's probably my fault. When she was on antibiotics, I was mixing pieces of turkey into her bowl to get her to eat (because I didn't want to give her the drugs on an empty stomach). Now she won't eat unless there's an add-in, and even then she picks out the add-in and maybe eats a kibble or two.

I tried foods with poultry fat or chicken meal to see if she'd be okay, and it didn't make her itchy like I expected - instead, her anal glands went into overdrive. She needed them expressed every week or two instead of every month. So we're moving back to chicken-free. Whole Earth Farms was a hit, so I'm going to get another bag of that.

Anyone have experience with Evanger's? There's a meat lover's medley that I think she'd like (she seems to like rabbit). This Fromm recipe might also work for her... Looks like I'm dragging her to the pet store with me later :lol They also carry a frozen raw food, so if all else fails I guess we could try that... Her appetite just seems to fluctuate so much. She'll eat great for a month and be up to a healthy 19 pounds (what she should weigh) then the next month, feeding her becomes a struggle and she barely eats anything and drops to 17 pounds. Then she'll eat again the month after that.

I sell things on Etsy!