Our Brendan Passed Away Today...

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

It is a gift to wake up this morning to read everyone's posts. You all know what I am going through, and I do feel comforted by all your thoughts. Thank you. I was numb yesterday. Today my grief is waking up. Brendan was always there for me. He was the perfect companion animal. But I'm second-guessing a few things. I work full time. He was home by himself a large part of the work week. I had somebody come in to visit him mid-day, but I only saw him at night and weekends. In retrospect, it doesn't seem fair to him. I had people convince me that he was happier with a little of me than languishing in a shelter. I'm not sure...I'm not sure.... All I know is he seemed so happy to see me everyday when I came home. He loved to be fed and get treats. He loved going for "pack walks" with me and my husband. And he was so sad when I left in the morning. That is what I remember more than anything, and I can't fix it. He was such a great dog. I keep thinking he deserved better. He deserved to at least have another dog with him during the day. If you can't be home with them, at least give them a friend. Or day care. Toward the end, as he slept more and more, he didn't see me off or greet me anymore. More than not eating, that was what told me it was time to say goodbye.

Brendan, wherever you are, I miss you. And thank you for giving me the happiest years of my life.

Guest TahoeMom

Yes, you guys are the best. You all give me hope. I loved Brendan very much. I know he will be with me for a long, long time. I will keep him in my heart. Thank you so much for all your kind posts!

It is a gift to wake up this morning to read everyone's posts. You all know what I am going through, and I do feel comforted by all your thoughts. Thank you. I was numb yesterday. Today my grief is waking up. Brendan was always there for me. He was the perfect companion animal. But I'm second-guessing a few things. I work full time. He was home by himself a large part of the work week. I had somebody come in to visit him mid-day, but I only saw him at night and weekends. In retrospect, it doesn't seem fair to him. I had people convince me that he was happier with a little of me than languishing in a shelter. I'm not sure...I'm not sure.... All I know is he seemed so happy to see me everyday when I came home. He loved to be fed and get treats. He loved going for "pack walks" with me and my husband. And he was so sad when I left in the morning. That is what I remember more than anything, and I can't fix it. He was such a great dog. I keep thinking he deserved better. He deserved to at least have another dog with him during the day. If you can't be home with them, at least give them a friend. Or day care. Toward the end, as he slept more and more, he didn't see me off or greet me anymore. More than not eating, that was what told me it was time to say goodbye.

Brendan, wherever you are, I miss you. And thank you for giving me the happiest years of my life.

This is a typical reaction many of us have when someone so dear crosses over. We find so many things that we tell ourselves we could have done better for them with. But they are simply not true. It is just a normal phase of the grieving process. There is NO WAY that Brendan would have been happier in any way shape or form without you. HE PICKED YOU. He loved YOU. No one would have or could have loved him more or done better by him. You two were meant for each other and it is a beautiful story and nothing-not death or anything else-can change that. He knows that and in your heart you do too. My soul mate Slim.....I NEVER said no to him. I gave him everything he wanted whenever he wanted it-EXCEPT when I had to leave to go to work in the morning. He did not like it when I left for work. That is the ONLY time he didn't get what he wanted. And he was a remarkable dog-he never abused that privilege. And he would smile when I came home-beside himself with happiness as Brendan was. But he knew how much I loved him and understood my commitment to him. Never once did we spend a night apart until the last one. And Brendan knew how much you loved him too and no way would he want you to ever think it upset him in ANY way. He UNDERSTOOD. And when you were at work it didn't matter, because your hearts were one still- as they are now. You gave him the happiest years of his life too! You and Brendan are a beautiful story of the power of those big greyhound hearts to love us like we have never known before. It is beautiful. Try not to second guess yourself and hang in there. It will get better.

Guest TahoeMom

This is a typical reaction many of us have when someone so dear crosses over. We find so many things that we tell ourselves we could have done better for them with. But they are simply not true. It is just a normal phase of the grieving process. There is NO WAY that Brendan would have been happier in any way shape or form without you. HE PICKED YOU. He loved YOU. No one would have or could have loved him more or done better by him. You two were meant for each other and it is a beautiful story and nothing-not death or anything else-can change that. He knows that and in your heart you do too. My soul mate Slim.....I NEVER said no to him. I gave him everything he wanted whenever he wanted it-EXCEPT when I had to leave to go to work in the morning. He did not like it when I left for work. That is the ONLY time he didn't get what he wanted. And he was a remarkable dog-he never abused that privilege. And he would smile when I came home-beside himself with happiness as Brendan was. But he knew how much I loved him and understood my commitment to him. Never once did we spend a night apart until the last one. And Brendan knew how much you loved him too and no way would he want you to ever think it upset him in ANY way. He UNDERSTOOD. And when you were at work it didn't matter, because your hearts were one still- as they are now. You gave him the happiest years of his life too! You and Brendan are a beautiful story of the power of those big greyhound hearts to love us like we have never known before. It is beautiful. Try not to second guess yourself and hang in there. It will get better.

Thank you. I believe everything you said. I look forward to getting past this phase of the grieving process. I hope to adopt again in about a year. I am holding on to that hope in the back of my mind. But for now, Brendan cannot be replaced. I am cherishing his memory for a little while. Just a little while. He was the perfect companion animal. Always there for me. Always. I need to remember him and all the things he taught me. And I want to honor his memory by getting it right some day. Some day.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Brendan. I think you know that so many of us understand, not only the loss of a beloved pet, but the feelings of guilt, regret, or second guessing. I'm sure your emotions are raw now, and in your pain, you are putting blame on yourself. Please try not to do this. Easier said than done, of course, but know that in time you find comfort in the memories of truly happy and safe and loved he really was. He would want you to celebrate that love.

And please come and talk whenever you need to. It really does help.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest TahoeMom

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Brendan. I think you know that so many of us understand, not only the loss of a beloved pet, but the feelings of guilt, regret, or second guessing. I'm sure your emotions are raw now, and in your pain, you are putting blame on yourself. Please try not to do this. Easier said than done, of course, but know that in time you find comfort in the memories of truly happy and safe and loved he really was. He would want you to celebrate that love.

And please come and talk whenever you need to. It really does help.

I totally agree. I will celebrate him. He was such a good dog. So sweet. I miss him every minute now.

I am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy.

Run free Brendan, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest TahoeMom

Thanks so much to everyone for your posts. Your thoughts are precious to me. You all know what I am going through, and I will try to take your advice. I think that I am finally understanding how you can hold them in your thoughts and heart, and it isn't unbearable. It is a comfort. I've been taking memorial walks. Going to spots that we enjoyed together. This morning there was a wonderful breeze and beautiful sunshine. And i didn't hurt. It felt wonderful. I called to the wind: Run Free Brendan!!!! Run Free Sweet Pupcheks!!!!!! I imagined he was with me. I was worried I couldn't go on without him. Maybe I can now. xxxxxx

I'm so sorry. :grouphug Our bond with our animals is pure love, and it hurts so much when they are gone. Your memorial walks and other things you'll find to do in his honor will gradually help turn the pain into comfort and smiles when you think of him.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest TahoeMom

I will honor Brendan by adopting again. They need homes. Brendan was so special with special needs right up to the end. I felt honored taking care of him. After he passed, a neighbor said to me, "You worked so hard with him." I said, "Really? Because I didn't think it was all that much work. I enjoyed every minute." I miss him terribly. I will take a much needed break, and then I will adopt again. Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments.

Guest TahoeMom

You can’t see anything properly while your eyes are blurred w/ tears. C.S.Lewis

Just hang in there. In time you will discover that he is still with you. Love that strong cannot die. Love is energy and cannot be destroyed. It is THE most powerful force in the universe.

"For love is as strong as death....

Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.

If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."

"What we have enjoyed we can never lose…All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."-Helen Keller

And this is a message another beloved pet sent from the bridge that I have found to be true:

"The love is bigger than the pain. I know your heart is breaking terribly. But I promise you that your pain will subside over time, and our love, our love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but our love will still be vibrant and alive. Love is always bigger than pain. When you are hurting, reach for the love and I promise you will feel better."

:f_red :f_red :f_red :f_red

Thank you. True words. Every one.

Very sorry for your loss.

Thank you. I hold him in my heart now, and I won't let him go.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug Our bond with our animals is pure love, and it hurts so much when they are gone. Your memorial walks and other things you'll find to do in his honor will gradually help turn the pain into comfort and smiles when you think of him.

All the dogs who lived on the street we walked on were looking for him today. It made me sad, but I think they understood.

I am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy.

Run free Brendan, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Thank you. I have not posted more pics of him, but he was just perfect. He was beautiful.

Add my sympathy - my heart hurts with you. And yes, aren't gt peeps, who all get it, the absolute best? Hugs

Thank you. I knew the day would come, and I knew it would be hard. Thankfully I knew about greytalk.com. I feel so lucky to be in touch with people that get it.

If I don't respond to everyone's posts right now, I am just feeling overwhelmed. I have read and appreciate each and every comment. Thank you. Your thoughts and prayers are helping me so much.

Guest TahoeMom

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed their sympathy and advice. You all know what we have gone through. have had a week to think about Brendan's euthanasia. I know that my pup was not feeling well for a long time. A whole year. He started telling me that he wasn't going to be with me much longer. And I knew it. The last morning, I bent down to kiss him, and I told him I would take care of him, as always. I did not expect what we saw during the procedure. Quite simply, Brendan did not go peacefully. It was something I hope to never see again, although I know he is in a better place now. We are trying to figure out if we should talk to somebody about it. Has anybody else experienced something less than peaceful??