Children And My New Grey

Guest Lofarber

Guest Lofarber

So, I've had my baby for a week and my husband and I went for ice cream last night. It's a dog friendly patio so we sat outside(he has been amazing interacting with everyone in our very busy neighborhood. A very polite child came up and wanted to pet. I was super scared because I don't want a child bit. I told her to approach from the side and pet his side, which she did. Alfred was very nervous looking and backed away so I told the girl that was enough and I walked away with Alfred. So, because my son is 14 Alfred wont have much kid interaction but I feel it will be necessary for safety in my neighborhood. My questions are: will a greyhound growl first before biting? How do I get him more used to kids? My husband suggested we sit near playground so he can watch them but Alfred is quite large and people just love to come up to us so I'm afraid a whole herd of kids would come up to us. He did *OK on our walk this morning as a kid walked by and did *OK at the ice cream shop so I feel I could definitely get him used to kids I just want to do it safely. We don't live in our home town so I no access to small children. Thanks!

Dogs pick up on your nonverbal cues, so it's possible that he was picking up on your nervousness. Don't look at it as an "OMG there's kids coming!" but rather a relaxed "hey, cute kids" and instruct the kids to hold their hands out and let him sniff before they even pet him.

Also, generally greyhounds will growl, air snap, then bite (progression) but that's not to say they won't go straight for a bite if they feel threatened enough.

I try to introduce my dogs to kids (since I don't have kids) who are well behaved and let the kids have dog treats. That way, the dog associates the child with positive items.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest Lofarber

Dogs pick up on your nonverbal cues, so it's possible that he was picking up on your nervousness. Don't look at it as an "OMG there's kids coming!" but rather a relaxed "hey, cute kids" and instruct the kids to hold their hands out and let him sniff before they even pet him.

Also, generally greyhounds will growl, air snap, then bite (progression) but that's not to say they won't go straight for a bite if they feel threatened enough.

I try to introduce my dogs to kids (since I don't have kids) who are well behaved and let the kids have dog treats. That way, the dog associates the child with positive items.

Yes, I think you are right, I have normally been super mellow on purpose with all the craziness in the neighborhood but when the kid came up I definitely wasn't comfortable. I will try to relax...and have treats on hand.

You've had your boy for only a week. He is on sensory overload - new smells, noises, people. Don't rush him in to being exposed to "all the craziness in the neighborhood."

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

You've had your boy for only a week. He is on sensory overload - new smells, noises, people. Don't rush him in to being exposed to "all the craziness in the neighborhood."

Yep, take it slow and relax :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Lofarber

You've had your boy for only a week. He is on sensory overload - new smells, noises, people. Don't rush him in to being exposed to "all the craziness in the

neighborhood."

I definitely have been trying to avoid it but unfortunately I live in a very dense urban area so it's impossible. He's been great though. :) just wanted to find out a bit more about kiddos and greys. Thanks

I live in a townhouse complex that has kids out everywhere. Teague was quite spooked when I first got him, especially if they were noisy or riding skateboards, bikes, etc. With time, he just got used to things, and he is completely trustworthy with kids now. He goes up to them all the time for pets. It just took some time and gradual interaction.

Treats are a great idea. Try to ask the kids to just give him a treat first and then he can smell their hand (and if he is comfortable they can pet under the chin). Approaching and petting from the side can actually be a bit scary for a nervous dog.

For now, only have them pet him when he's standing up. If he's laying down he may perceive them to be in his space which will add to his nervousness.

Rocket loves kids, but never wants anyone in his space. If he's laying down, I will tell them that he's being a grumpy old man today and might grumble at them until he stands up. I invite them to come back over once he stands up, or will walk him over to them as we are leaving. Kids often don't understand why you would say no, so if they are polite enough to ask, I try to give them every chance to pet him, even if it's not right at that moment.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Lofarber

Approaching and petting from the side can actually be a bit scary for a nervous dog.

I didn't know that, thanks!! Good to know your grey got better. I think mine will too in time. :)

Guest AtticusMom

I agree with the advice to take it slow, at first. In those first few weeks (and even months, sometimes), our greys are getting used to their new family and learning a lot of new things.

I don't have kids, but I live in an area with a lot of them, and my greys have always been very tolerant. We've had great experiences with kids, because they will often ask if they can pet the dog first. Many adults don't do that. :) It helps to pay attention to your grey's body language. They will let you know if they feel overwhelmed. I think it's really good for our dogs to have new experiences, and meet new people! :)

So you mean you've had your DOG for a week, not that you just had a baby?? Just making sure!

Is this your first dog?

I'm not sure where you got the idea that greyhounds, in general, don't like children. I think the opposite is GENERALLY true.

I personally NEVER let a child pet my dog unless their parent is with them and I see that the parent says it's OK. Not sure if you live in the US or not, but with our ridiculously "sue happy" society, even though my dog has never indicated he doesn't care for kids, I keep them away.

I think you did well, but I also think that you might be going a bit too fast. You don't have to explose a newly adopted dog to everything in the first 10 days! He needs to know and trust you and your husband first.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Lofarber

So you mean you've had your DOG for a week, not that you just had a baby?? Just making sure!

Is this your first dog?

I'm not sure where you got the idea that greyhounds, in general, don't like children. I think the opposite is GENERALLY true.

I personally NEVER let a child pet my dog unless their parent is with them and I see that the parent says it's OK. Not sure if you live in the US or not, but with our ridiculously "sue happy" society, even though my dog has never indicated he doesn't care for kids, I keep them away.

I think you did well, but I also think that you might be going a bit too fast. You don't have to explose a newly adopted dog to everything in the first 10 days! He needs to know and trust you and your husband first.

Ha! Yes my new dog not baby. My "baby " is 14 years old. I don't think greyhounds don't like children I just don't know my dog yet and am being overly cautious. The little girl totally surprised me when she approached from around the corner! I'm trying to avoid too much too soon but as I wrote before its unavoidable in my urban neighborhood. But he has been doing fabulous!! :)

Guest xengab

I totally agree with having your grey stand when being patted by anyone at this point. Plus you controlling others coming into his space will help him gain trust in you.

If someone approaches my grey, I tell them to stop. Some people he just doesnt want to be near and others he is happy to sniff.

When on walks, we allowed quiet, calm kids to pat him while we kept it short and positive. Always that he was a good boy, allowing him to move away if he needed too. If he moved away, the kids were asked to do so too.

He used to be rather freaked out by toddlers and kids under 10.. Over the weekend he was near a birthday party of 20, 5 yos and it didnt phase him. Took nearly 9 months of slow, calm and confident meetings of kids for that to happen. Noisy, rude or fast moving kids were always told to stop, and I got between my dog and them.

Slow and steady seems to be the key with these greyt dogs. Mine just finished a 6 week beginner training class. Started off rather nervous and ended up as the best student :) Also found out he is super gentle around puppies but also taught them a few dog manners too... he had two golden retriever puppies in his class (5-6months) and a lab/pit mix adult dog. They all got along so well.

Yes, baby steps during early weeks/months to allow your new Greyhound to adjust to his new home while your family works to earn Alfred's trust.

Every animal is an individual with a history. Many dogs will give a warning growl (often after other subtle signs like head turning away, averting eyes, lip licking, yawning, etc.); however, if a dog feels extremely threatened, or was scolded for growling previously, they might be more likely to resort to a bite. Any animal has the potential to bite without a growl first.

Depending on a hound's temperament, when I'm working with a newly retired foster from the track, I don't allow children to approach the dog during neighborhood walks/outings. (A lot of children around here too.) Most newly retired hounds have never even taken walks in a neighborhood, or seen other dog breeds, cats, etc. and may not have seen or interacted with children. Better for hounds to simply focus on walking (passing children from a distance) for a while. Treats might help, but some dogs feel too overwhelmed/stressed/anxious to eat treats. (One fearful foster was so scared of children that the hound couldn't even walk past a playground, school or park from across the street. If a child attempted to approach the dog, dog tried to back out of a collar and bolt away (fight or flight reaction). I use a collar + harness for new fosters. Fortunately, most dogs are not nearly that fearful.)

Eventually, after Alfred has settled comfortably into his new environment, ask a calm child to stand sideways (facing away from Alfred) without making direct eye contact. Then, from afar, child slowly tosses treats on the ground towards Alfred while Alfred is standing up. Once Alfred begins eating those treats without showing fear, a next step is for child to hold treats in his/her flat, open hand for Alfred to approach the child (vs. child approaching Alfred). Again, child stands sideways and looks away from Alfred's face (non-threatening position in dogs' language). Thereafter, child can briefly pet Alfred's chin, neck or shoulder (in same direction as fur growth) for a few seconds. Then child stops petting, and Alfred gets another treat reward, and Alfred's walk or other fun activity is resumed.

Avoid direct front face-to-face positions, reaching overhead, or leaning over dog since those are considered threatening behaviors in dogs' language.

Golden rule: Let resting dogs lie undisturbed. Wait for dog to stand up and approach a human for attention. :)

You may find this article helpful: https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/how-to-greet-a-dog/

Great advice here, but I'd also encourage you to enlist the kids you see to "help you train your new greyhound" - that's how we approach it when we see kids out on our walks. We've only had one that truly disliked kids, he just didn't like quick movements, loud noises and the general inconsistencies with kids - but he learned to tolerate them.

We do not have kids, and our niece & nephew are both teenagers now - but we do have kids in the neighborhood and we walk our dogs twice a day. We normally see the kids, and then they'll run at us, so we very nicely ask them to slow down or stop, and then we ask, "Maybe you can help us? Our new dog has never met kids before, so he might be a bit scared of you. Maybe you could stand to his side and hold your hand out so he can sniff you? He might not want to be petted, but you'd be doing us a big favor by letting him sniff you so we can see how he'll be!"

The kids always seem to love it, and it gives us a nice gauge as to how the pups will be around kids. Our only danger with our current boy is that he'll knock them over trying to get more pets. :)

Edited by Sundrop

Our only danger with our current boy is that he'll knock them over trying to get more pets.

Yes, I always warn kids that they're going to get a big sloppy kiss so they're not startled when Jeter licks their face. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter