Senior Greys & Changes In Appetite

LaFlaca

While my 10 year old Wendy has never been a chow-hound, she has always eaten well (2 meals a days) and enjoyed some treats (she's picky about which ones). Lately though, she's been skipping breakfast quite often. I used to pick up her food bowl after 1/2 hour if food went uneaten, but now with this new development, I leave it down all day in the hope that she'll eat eventually; and she does, sometimes, but more often, not. Anyway, she just had her old-lady check-up and everything came back within normal parameters. She's her usual, silly self in every other way and will eat her favorite treats whenever offered so it's not like she has no appetite at all. She has not lost any weight. I've been keeping her quiet for about a week now due to some hind-end shakiness and discomfort she had after rough-housing with my son's dog but otherwise her activity level has been as always.

Do seniors typically start skipping meals even though they show interest in treats or "people" food?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Colin will be 12 in July and he started skipping breakfast some years ago. I just leave the bowl with his kibbles, so he can eat whenever he likes. I do this with my two you other boys as well. Now everyone skips breakfast and they eat whenever they like.

Dinner will be raw with vegetables, noodles, rice or potatoes. All of them love dinnertime and eat all their food.

I forget to mention. Colin is like an alligator when I offer him some treat. If I'm not fast enough he tries to eat my fingers with it. He is a healthy senior with some crazy ideas about how he likes his meals...

...and he decided that he has to try everything he wants....

...those crazy senior citizens.., 😉

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

My 14 yr old stopped eating breakfast or would eat it a bit later. I tried to make it yummier for her with special treats added in. That helped but she kept changing which ones she liked!! If weight and health are not a problem, I guess it does not matter too much.

Is she eating a meal later in the day?

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Most of my seniors have self selected out of a meal as they've aged. I try to not hyperventilate about it, though it's hard!

If her weight is stable, bloodwork OK, potty habits good, and her energy level is appropriate for her age, I would let her eat her one meal a day and supplement it with a larger snak of something yummy later in the morning. Yummy is whatever she will eat though I don't go nuts with the catering. It's something I can easily fix and set down - instant oatmeal, a tin of canned food, some tuna, a chicken leg or wing if you do raw, some fat balls.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

smurfette: I forget to mention. Colin is like an alligator when I offer him some treat. If I'm not fast enough he tries to eat my fingers with it. He is a healthy senior with some crazy ideas about how he likes his meals...

This sounds like my girl! :hehe

My 14 yr old stopped eating breakfast or would eat it a bit later. I tried to make it yummier for her with special treats added in. That helped but she kept changing which ones she liked!! If weight and health are not a problem, I guess it does not matter too much.

Is she eating a meal later in the day?

I've tried different add-ins and different canned foods. She'll scarf them down one day and reject them the next. <SIGH> Her health is fine and she's maintaining her weight, somehow.

She's eating her dinner just fine with one exception; after 8 years of going walkies after dinner, the Duchess (as we call her) has changed the rules and will eat only if walkies occur before dinner. :whiteflag

Most of my seniors have self selected out of a meal as they've aged. I try to not hyperventilate about it, though it's hard!

If her weight is stable, blood-work OK, potty habits good, and her energy level is appropriate for her age, I would let her eat her one meal a day and supplement it with a larger snack of something yummy later in the morning. Yummy is whatever she will eat though I don't go nuts with the catering. It's something I can easily fix and set down - instant oatmeal, a tin of canned food, some tuna, a chicken leg or wing if you do raw, some fat balls.

Thank you, greysmom! This makes me feel a bit better although trying not to hyperventilate is a challenge! I have been supplementing with the healthiest snacks I can come up with - raw turkey necks, sardines, Wellness CORE protein bars, etc.

Thank you all! I feel better knowing that this can be a typical senior Grey thing.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My boy just turned 9 and he is a chow hound, but lately he will only eat 3/4ths of what I give him for breakfast. He's fine otherwise and not losing weight and he does get a mid-day treat. He downs his entire dinner with gusto, so I'm not worrying.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Seems to be a common thing that they just don't eat as much as they age. Kasey was always terribly picky, so it was hard to get food into him normally. When he was sick though, it got more scary. I'd say if your hound is otherwise healthy, one skipped meal isn't a major concern.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I would try adding both a probiotic and a digestive enzyme to her food. Can't hurt, might help.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would try adding both a probiotic and a digestive enzyme to her food. Can't hurt, might help.

She's been getting FortiFlora since day one, recommended by our vet. Which digestive enzyme would you suggest?

She's been getting FortiFlora since day one, recommended by our vet. Which digestive enzyme would you suggest?

Prozyme is the one that the holistic vet I've used recommends.

if you google "Dr Doug Kneuven digestive enzymes" you'll find his article on the 5 supplements he recommends, with a brief explanation of why these are especially good for aging pets. I can't link the article because I'm in my office.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

As dogs get older, it will be harder for them to eat what they used to eat like kibble - their teeth may not be as good, the gums might hurt. Also, the food is so processed, it's not going to digest easily and they might be having digestive issues and they can't tell you. A solution is to switch to home-made. The food is easy to digest and soft so it is not going to hurt their mouth. It will smell better and probably help their appetite.

• 3 weeks later...

I was always a strict food person. No add-ins, no coddling. Eat it, or go hungry - then you'll eat later. I still feel that way for young, healthy dogs.

My Diana changed into a "senior" at age 11. MUCH sooner than I expected. She started totally skipping breakfast, and her food needs dropped.

So - I'd suggest free-feeding if you can. And, maybe consider adding some home-cooked to entice the appetite. The dietary needs definitely change as they age.

So - I'd suggest free-feeding if you can. And, maybe consider adding some home-cooked to entice the appetite. The dietary needs definitely change as they age.

Thanks for validating what I've been doing intuitively. I've always been the type that picked the food up if it was not eaten in 1/2 hour; now, if she doesn't eat breakfast by the time I leave for work, I just leave it down. Sometimes it'll be gone when I get home, sometimes not, but at least it's available for her if she wants it. Dinner is not so much of an issue. I'm feeding some raw and the healthiest treats I can find and adding good quality "people" food. Whatever it takes to keep them >>> :ghplaybow

Edited by LaFlaca