Need To Put Weight On A Kidney Compromised Nine Year Old

Fenway was diagnosed with "minor kidney damage of an unspecified origin" a few years ago, probably when he was around 5 or 6. He is now nine and has his picky days that he doesn't want to eat his food. He eats Iams Healthy Naturals lamb. I have to make sure he's fed a food with 20% protein or less. He is otherwise in good health, I'd just like him to gain weight.

What home cooked recipe can I feed a kidney compromised dog that will help him gain weight?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Ugh. I don't know if my fiancé would be thrilled about that. He's not fond of the times I've given the dogs sardines.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I don't know how you feel about Dr Dodds, but here's a link to the kidney diet on this site. Scroll down to the bottom

http://www.nutriscan.org/knowledge-center/cleansing-diets.html?utm_source=tumblr&utm_medium=blog%20post&utm_campaign=liver2014Q2

If he can do dairy, cottage cheese is a good food - low in protein but you can get it higher in fat. You might also try large bred puppy food, which will also be lower in protein, but higher in calories. Sweet potatoes and pasta will also help add calories to his diet. You'll want to avoid things like satin balls as the protein will be too high for his compromised kidney function.

Smooches for Fenway! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't know how you feel about Dr Dodds, but here's a link to the kidney diet on this site. Scroll down to the bottom

http://www.nutriscan.org/knowledge-center/cleansing-diets.html?utm_source=tumblr&utm_medium=blog%20post&utm_campaign=liver2014Q2

If he can do dairy, cottage cheese is a good food - low in protein but you can get it higher in fat. You might also try large bred puppy food, which will also be lower in protein, but higher in calories. Sweet potatoes and pasta will also help add calories to his diet. You'll want to avoid things like satin balls as the protein will be too high for his compromised kidney function.

Smooches for Fenway! :wub:

Thank you! I'll try cottage cheese and will look for a large breed puppy food. Good ideas.

He's a weirdly picky guy. He's not a fan of rice or pasta. Eggs are his favorite food.

I add rice bran oil to my older boys diet. It is like natural anabolic steroids, helps with muscle building. My nearly 12 year old is healthier and more energetic than before the new oil.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Percy gets a couple of tablespoons of the Select Pet chicken (in the refrigerated section of pet foods), with the OK of my vet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Well that only lasted a few days. Now we're back to not eating, even with the cottage cheese. I might have to start adding eggs and cheddar cheese to all meals now. He loves eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

Egg whites are better than whole eggs for dogs with kidney issues. But you can do scrambled, fried, boiled, etc egg whites. Bread is good! Toast, bagels, etc. Add no-salt butter to everything (fat is GOOD).

Loss of appetite is pretty normal for the kidney-compromised. Switch up the food often. Find other brands of commercial food that are appropriate, wet and dry and switch them out every couple days. Variety is now your new spice of life. Add-ins are important now. Calories!

Do a search on GT for my posts about Diana, or anything kidney-related. Tons of good info here.

Well that only lasted a few days. Now we're back to not eating, even with the cottage cheese. I might have to start adding eggs and cheddar cheese to all meals now. He loves eggs.

It's normal that something wonderful doesn't last long with a kidney dog. Rotate the add-ins.

• 4 weeks later...

i would like to add that after boosting felix's carb intake he's up to the weight i like him at. he dropped a good 4+ lbs between being boarded and going on a low fat diet(87 calories less per cup). i have been cooking oatmeal, rice(white), small pasta(orzo) and yams or white potatoes and mashing them up and adding this gruel to his food. in one month, just adding 2 heaping tablespoons per meal. the carbs are easy on the kidneys and boy do they like that oatmeal!