Harness Recommendations Please

Guest Lupin290

Guest Lupin290

Hi everyone!

I adopted a 3 year old male greyhound in early August. He is very outgoing and LOVES people. He is very good about walking politely and not pulling, until we see a person. Then he wants to drag me to them (whole body wiggling) so that he can say hello. Unfortunately, not everyone appreciates a 75 pound greyhound's head in their lap. I am looking at front clip harnesses to help with the pulling while we work on appropriate greeting behavior. But I am worried about the security/safety of harnesses. I live in a city and if he were to get loose the road is not far away. Does anyone have a favorite harness they would recommend?

We also use the 2Hounds harness and love it. Our Arya is very similar to your hound and is pretty good most of the time until she sees a small, yapping dog or a squirrel. At those times, she tends to pull. The 2Hounds harness has a tightening martingale-like strap around the chest as well as the front attachment. The two in combination have really helped us redirect Arya's attention back to us and prevents sore arms on our part if she gets too excited and forgets her manners.

I second the 2Hounds harness as well! Before I started using the 2 Hounds harness. I was using the Premire Easy walk harness on my now Bridge girl Angel with little luck. Tried her on the 2Hounds harness and she was a completely diffrent dog on leash. I highly recommend it!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

I use the harness from Silk Road Collars. I recommend it highly. I have also used the 2Hounds harness and liked that one.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I love the no pull - no escape harness from One Stop Harness Shop. The store is on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/568743733161925/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Another vote: love this one! And when I called for advice on the sizing, they were super helpful.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

i use the harness lead, http://www.harnesslead.com

annie has slipped out of the 2 hounds design and silk roads harnesses. this one seems foolproof. i ended up purchasing it from a rescue group at GIG and LOVE IT! no buckles or velvet lining which seems to wear felix's thin coat.

Edited by cleptogrey

One thing I like about the 2Hounds harness is the velvety straps that go behind their front legs, so they don't chafe. I'd look for something with padding or a soft material to prevent chafing at the "underarms" area as their skin is so exposed and vulnerable there. A friend of mine uses a Ruffwear she likes but she sewed some coverings over the straps that went under the forelegs as there was some chafing going on.

Guest MarieKlaus

Klaus is reactive and lunges, so I've been using the EasyWalk and double clipping the leash to his collar. Looks like the 2Hounds harness works really well. I'll have to try it.

Guest peacehound

I absolutely loved the Ruffwear Harness..our old grey needed help with stairs for years and this was a lifesaver, easy to put on and seemed comfortable for Peace, she would go the harness hanging on a hook when she wanted to go walking or in the car for an ice cream cone..yes, she trained us well

I love the no pull - no escape harness from One Stop Harness Shop. The store is on Facebook.

:nod

Another version of this harness is by Majestic Collars. One of the attractions is the second set of straps around the torso (absolutely necessary for a galgo, less so for a grey). The second lead clips onto the dog's martingale.

Freedom harness

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I also have this one at Robin's recommendation. My galgo can't drag me after squirrels anymore and he can't back out of it.

The 2 Hounds harness always worked well for my greyhounds, but my galgo backed out of it.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mgodwin

Another vote for 2Hounds Freedom no pull harness. Ginny was really bad about pulling when I first brought her home, even in a borrowed harness. I bought a 2Hounds harness and most of the pulling stopped. She'll pull if she gets spooked, or if someone walks close enough that she feels they're coming to say hi. But, a gentle tug on the leash is usually enough to redirect her. As others have mentioned, there is a front clip on the harness that you could attach the leash to so that if he pulled he would be immediately redirected. I've never used it though. I've found that the pressure created by the martingale loop is enough to interrupt Ginny's train of thought.