Attacked By Another Dog

Guest xengab

Yesterday morning on our usual walking route, we were set on by a poodle ( small) .

Thankfully I had my pooper scooper on a stick on me and blocked the lunges the dog made and ME and my grey.

Yes he tried to run from it, but stopped when the leash went tight. He lifted his feet up and pranced around.

I am pretty sure if I hadnt blocked the other dog, we'd have been bitten.

It followed us for 1/4 mile barking snapping and running circles around us. I had to mind my dog and the other dog as it was on a busy road. As much as that little dog was ticking me off, I didn't want him hurt or someone getting the shock of hitting a dog with their car.

I was able to circle my grey, in a wide driveway until the elderly owner caught up and grabbed the poodle.

He asked if we'd been bitten. Um if you know your dog bites keep it on a leash!

I told him he was VERY lucky my dog didn't react aggressively to his dog.

My grey was very jumpy for the rest of the walk, but stopped yawning and panting near home. I was very proud of his behavior, he minded me in a very stressful situation.

I walked him that afternoon avoiding that house, and he was jumpy still but only in a short section (the new part). I tried my best to stay relaxed and not worried.

This morning he didn't want to go for his morning jog/walk so I just played with him in the yard and will start over tomorrow. Really doesnt help his fear of small dogs though, he was getting better. Now he is back to sqaure one.

Do those dog avoidance sprays work? Does it harm the other dog? DO those dog whistle things work? Someone in my rescue group mentioned it.

Don't know about the whistle thing, but the sprays are hit and mis. Mostly miss. We have had reports from people who carry *bear* repellant say it doesn't stop a determined (large) dog from charging. And yes, pepper-type sprays do hurt. I doubt anything less, such as citrus sprays, would be very effective.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You did good.

Wasp spray. The advantage is that it will shoot a stream a long distance. Disadvantage is that it only comes in big spray cans.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Do those dog avoidance sprays work? Does it harm the other dog?

Yes! Check out Halt! spray. The Postal Service has been using it since the 1960's as a non-lethal repellant for aggressive dogs. It's made with capsaicin, so it stings their eyes, but does not cause longterm damage. You can buy it on Amazon for about $8.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Your foot works very well too. You wont permanently damage a small dog. You may sting it if you kick it, but that's about it. Dogs are pretty tough. One swift kick in the flank (with about 50% power) and it should dissuade the animal from bothering you any more.

Yes! Check out Halt! spray. The Postal Service has been using it since the 1960's as a non-lethal repellant for aggressive dogs. It's made with capsaicin, so it stings their eyes, but does not cause longterm damage. You can buy it on Amazon for about $8.

That is with me any time the dogs and I are not in my back yard.

Oddly, my grey seems to trust me more now. I've walked him like normal but avoid that house with a small detour. Only issue I have is him adjusting to the new detour.

No other new behavior or fear from him out on the walks. I guess protecting him the way I did gave him some comfort or made sense as I'm his pack leader. (on walks, at home its the cat.)

Sprayshield isn't a bad thing to have on hand (it's a citronella spray). We keep it on hand in our doggie day camp to break up scuffles. Its not going to stop a very determined dog, but in a situation like the one you just described it would have probably given the dog pause at least.

The thing that worries me about pepper sprays and the like is that actually hurting an attacking dog may only aggravate it. I also believe there are laws against carrying that type of stuff in certain states though I'm iffy on that.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Halt! isnt allowed to be shipped to California. Only one I can seem to get is sprayshield as petsmart has it. I might grab some just in case. Giving us a chance to even get some distance is better then nothing.

I walk with a rechargeable stun gun/pen. Totally legal in CA, I checked with the LAPD after I got sick and tired of all the off-leash dogs in my area. We were charged, I kep the dogs safe, but sprained my knee badly. I'm very happy with my investment, I never leave the house with the dogs without it. A greyhound owner in OC had a stun gun, was able to keep the other dog from attacking just because of the sound of the device. Works for me. I've had it for years, have turned the on switch on twice, but, mercifully, have never needed to use it.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014