We Just Returned From E-Vet...

Hello everyone,

His name is Apollo he is my 1 year 8 month Foster. Today during a short run he and PETE and REMY colided. There was a yip like he got hurt, but he is sensitive. well i checked his ears and neck, didn't feel anything wet. the dogs came in got cooled off ,hubby got home i told him i heard a yip, but there is no blood. well we all had dinner they kibble, us human stuff. all dogs relaxing, i lean over to pet the boy and oooohhh, there is flesh showing through his fur under his collar.I immediatley dial the vet (they have an app) with extended hours, and they take walk in emergency's and not super high cost. explained the urgency, and i ws told to call foster coordinator and /director of operations to get her clearance to treat. the wound was just skin cut open in a perfect triangle about 3 inches across, not bloody, not bothering him, he was just roaching. So the Twin Peak Vet Cntr said bring him over. they were open to 9 and i was only 5 pm. TG.

Apollo now has a line of sutures about 4 inches long. They were just waking him when we got there to pick up. so he was woooozy to get in the car. the ride home was easy.

Right now he is awake., he is whineing, didn't want water, he dosen't want to lay down. i gave a half of each pill, and had to shove down throat. instructions do say start these medications tonight. i only gave half of each, in case he throws up. Caprofen100mg and Cefpodoxime200mg. given with a piece of smoked sausage to disguise. he didn't want to try the smelly stuff.( he was trying to climb over the xpen to get into kitchen for yesterday).

My lesson is find the muzzles and use daily. it happens in a nano second.

and it's a terrible feeling to know it could of been prevented.

He is a sweet foster, so full of Puppy spirit. I was asking my sis GreyWrangler for some help the other day and she told me about. NILIF. i looked it up here and had be using it with the pup and it was going great for us.

we have a harness to use while the skin heals. i was going to have a question about getting him to settle, but he has finally.

thanks for letting me vent.

but while home after taking him to e*vet and taking other 3 dog outside and they run like always, we have an acre fenced, but now, i have the fear, who will get hurt next. yikes....

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Muzzles have prevented so many vet visits for us through the years. Glad he's going to be okay.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Injuries happen. Just a fact of life with greyhounds. But muzzles will help a LOT with stuff that could be avoided. Hope your foster boy heals up quickly!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I know the fear you speak of but I also now that you MUST let them go. They were born to run; with most it is hardwired and to keep them from it would be like caging a wild animal-many would slowly dissolve and die. I have seen them get so old that running is really the only enjoyment they have left in the whole world. And I have marveled at the speed and agility of OLD (14-15 year old) hounds and the happy look I see on them as they drink in the freedom of the run and for a few seconds they are young and happy again. I truly believe this is one of the reasons that they lived so long. I have seen them so debilitated that they take off in a discombobulated 'run'- but that happy look is still there. I remember 'the fear' when my tripod started to run after her amputation.....what if something happenned to the last remaining front leg?...and she would run fast-you couldn't tell she was a tripod when she ran because she still ran so fast. I discussed it with a vet and the vet wisely smiled and said she understood but that 'you've got to let her run.' She was right. I will never forget the glee, ectasy, glory whatever you want to call it that this dog smiled with when she would come in panting after a good run. For a few minutes she was whole again-fast and proud. And I have noticed that it seems that their running is the very last 'thing to go' many many times. I have observed that it seems like they feel that as long as they can run-in whatever capacity- life is good. BUT if they lose that- I have seen them throw in the towel straight a way and cross over. Thats what happenned to the tripod Ivy (Dream Irish). She ran happily for months after the amputation and then SUDDENLY cancer developed in another leg. She knew at that point she would not be able to run anymore and she left immediately. So I hold my breath sometimes but I give them their freedom to run however they desire. I figure its just the price I pay for being a greyhound Mom-which is small indeed when compared to the love in those BIG ol greyhound hearts. But don't be afraid to let them be greyhounds. Let them experience the wind surging past them and the happiness of their God ordained speed and enjoy it. It IS beautiful and majestic and every bit as much a part of them as their other special quallities. PS- I always use muzzles too. I learned it is always the best thing to do. But his neck could have just got torn from the crash.

Felix had the same tear but on his side,right over his rib cage.14 staples later and a bite not collar he managed to get nabbed on the back a couple of months later. He basically had a dart each time. He too was under 2 years of age. Lots of nicks,dents and bangs were a standard occurrence until he was 4. At age 8i miss those crazy days of running like a mad dog.

I know the fear you speak of but I also now that you MUST let them go. They were born to run; with most it is hardwired and to keep them from it would be like caging a wild animal-many would slowly dissolve and die. I have seen them get so old that running is really the only enjoyment they have left in the whole world. And I have marveled at the speed and agility of OLD (14-15 year old) hounds and the happy look I see on them as they drink in the freedom of the run and for a few seconds they are young and happy again. I truly believe this is one of the reasons that they lived so long. I have seen them so debilitated that they take off in a discombobulated 'run'- but that happy look is still there. I remember 'the fear' when my tripod started to run after her amputation.....what if something happenned to the last remaining front leg?...and she would run fast-you couldn't tell she was a tripod when she ran because she still ran so fast. I discussed it with a vet and the vet wisely smiled and said she understood but that 'you've got to let her run.' She was right. I will never forget the glee, ectasy, glory whatever you want to call it that this dog smiled with when she would come in panting after a good run. For a few minutes she was whole again-fast and proud. And I have noticed that it seems that their running is the very last 'thing to go' many many times. I have observed that it seems like they feel that as long as they can run-in whatever capacity- life is good. BUT if they lose that- I have seen them throw in the towel straight a way and cross over. Thats what happenned to the tripod Ivy (Dream Irish). She ran happily for months after the amputation and then SUDDENLY cancer developed in another leg. She knew at that point she would not be able to run anymore and she left immediately. So I hold my breath sometimes but I give them their freedom to run however they desire. I figure its just the price I pay for being a greyhound Mom-which is small indeed when compared to the love in those BIG ol greyhound hearts. But don't be afraid to let them be greyhounds. Let them experience the wind surging past them and the happiness of their God ordained speed and enjoy it. It IS beautiful and majestic and every bit as much a part of them as their other special quallities. PS- I always use muzzles too. I learned it is always the best thing to do. But his neck could have just got torn from the crash.

So true. My Topaz chased after a deer in the field the day before she died of liver disease. With the way she ran I figured she can't be that sick. Until the next day.

And my tripod Diamond ran full speed in my yard (1 acre) until cancer hit another of her legs as well.

And I do remember the look of ecstasy on my 15 yr old Onxy as she ran around the yard in her old lady gallop. She's been gone 5 yrs now and I can still see it plain as day.

I love the way your write racindog. so eloquent and so true.

they do love running. the foster is so puppy and not able to turn the corners and spin to a stop the way Pete does. Remy runs into the area behind the peach tree and has a 6 foot dug dirt circle he will dig and spin in. Pete absolutely hated the turn out muzzle today, he has been with us 3 years and only worn when small dogs visit, and that has only been twice. But he wore it today and did the kick n' scrape around the yard. (it didn't come off)

Thank you all for the comments, and the tributes to past racers. they will live forever in our hearts. <3 Murphy & Harry, doggie neice and nephew.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

IMG_2169_zpsr9bovevv.jpg

test photo- test

how do i make it smaller?

IMG_2171_zpshyuy1lg1.jpg

Edited by peglywegly

and after..... any tips on how to keep him from scratching or bruseing it?

I'm thinking a snood may help keep him from scratching the sutures open. once we are a couple more days healed.

Edited by peglywegly

Yes, you'll need something to cover it as that's a prime back-foot scratching area. A snood will work well. Or you can go to Goodwill and buy an old turtleneck sweater. A large tube sock perhaps. You might also need to have him wear a sock to cover up his back nails. Which he will definitely hate! ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Nasty,it will look pretty nasty even once the stitches are removed. Watch for festering and contact your vet if any occurs. I wouldn't put anything on it for a while..years ago we used BFI foot powder for the itch when stitches were healing. Ask your vet for something when it starts to drive hm crazy.

We cut the sleeves off old t-shirts to use as neck covers. Legs of sweat pants also work well if you need something thicker.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

So true. My Topaz chased after a deer in the field the day before she died of liver disease. With the way she ran I figured she can't be that sick. Until the next day.

And my tripod Diamond ran full speed in my yard (1 acre) until cancer hit another of her legs as well.

And I do remember the look of ecstasy on my 15 yr old Onxy as she ran around the yard in her old lady gallop. She's been gone 5 yrs now and I can still see it plain as day.

"old lady gallop"

What a beautiful way to describe it!

vetricyn can help the skin heal faster.

I've found Copaiba (essential oil) is a natural anesthetic to the wound (put on after vetricyn) to keep the itchies down a LOT. Then a snood on top, with a baby sock or boot on the back (scratch) foot.

good luck!!