Freedom To Roam?

Guest JosieP

Guest JosieP

Hi everyone, I'm a new (5 weeks) owner and wanted to find out thoughts on which rooms to let my grey into? She's 6.5 years old and raced til she was 5. We've had her 5 weeks now and for the first couple of weeks kept her in the kitchen only, in case of toilet accidents (it's a tiled floor). Her bed is in there. When she showed she could be trusted I let her come into the lounge if we were in, and she would lie with us no problem. (Lounge is carpeted with lovely soft deep carpet!).

However I think this probably confused her, as at night I put her back into the kitchen (just in case of toilet issues), and after a couple of days she would howl and scratch the door because she wanted to go into the lounge, even though we weren't in there. (She's got a lovely big soft bed in the kitchen).

Do you think I gave her conflicting messages with where she was allowed?

I'd love her to lie in the lounge with me in the evening then when I go to bed she does too (in the kitchen).

My husband doesn't want her to sleep upstairs with us. He grew up in a house that kept their dogs either outside or kitchen only, so he thinks I'm being soft wanting her in the lounge with us at all.

Thank you

Guest JosieP

Thanks, to be honest I agree with you, but my husband doesn't want her upstairs. I will have to work out a plan so he doesn't realise I've talked him into it lol.

I have allergies and a small bedroom, so no dogs in the bedroom at our house...

BUT a bed in the hallway outside our room (cheap twin duvet folded in quarters) and a real dog bed in the office (bedroom next door to our bedroom) works for our dog.

He often goes back and forth between the two at night. When he was younger and didn't have arthritis, he would sometimes go between the upstairs and family room beds at night. Now, I think that's "too far", lol.

If she's clean in the house, and you do a "last out" before bed, I'd at least put a bed in the lounge and let her sleep there. Greyhounds want to be where their "pack" is, and few people keep them in the kitchen only. The "kitchen only" dog is a bit of an outdated dog notion along with keeping them out in the yard all the time (unless the dog and climate work well for that--greyhounds need temperature control, so that is NOT an option).

In our own experience, a dog with run of a room will consider it part of her den and won't soil there. If a room is off limits, it's not part of her home, so she is more likely to potty there in an emergency.

From a practical standpoint, however, if she's in the bedroom on a dog bed or in the hall outside the bedroom, you'll hear and see if she gets up, and then you can take her out if you think she needs to go--she's LESS likely to soil in the house at night if she's near you. Many greytalkers baby gate the dog in the bedroom, upstairs hall or shut the bedroom door for that reason.

Helpful hint: If you are prone to midnight bathroom trips, choose a duvet or bed color that contrasts with the dog so you're less likely to step on him, or plug in a night light (Black dog on navy duvet was hard to see at night. Black dog on light grey or turquoise was actually visible.)

Afterthought hint: read up on "sleep startle" so you don't get bitten if your dog isn't as mellow as mine (mine barely looks up if he does get accidentally nudged with a bare foot)

Edited by Willowsmum

Guest JosieP

Thanks, we have a tiny spare bedroom that I was thinking maybe she could have a bed in.

I forgot to say, she can do stairs no problem and if given the chance likes to explore up there.

I think I just need to convince my husband about letting her out of the kitchen.

Thanks, we have a tiny spare bedroom that I was thinking maybe she could have a bed in.

I forgot to say, she can do stairs no problem and if given the chance likes to explore up there.

I think I just need to convince my husband about letting her out of the kitchen.

Can you not let her go into the lounge during the night (I am assuming your bedrooms are upstairs?). If she hasn't had any accidents it sounds like she will be fine. Is your husband only wanting the dog to ever be in the kitchen? I understand some people not wanting dogs in the bedroom, but to only live in a kitchen isn't very ideal for greys who tend to like to be near their people.

Guest Scouts_mom

Greyhounds are pack dogs and want to be with their pack. Because of how they are raised, this pack instinct is very strong. And guess what?--you and your husband are part of her pack. She will only be truly comfortable if she can sleep near you (in your room or at least within sight or sound of you).

Guest JosieP

Thanks for the replies. I think it's my husband I need to work on, and my lovely dog is fine! I will have to work out a plan as he is very resistant so I need to approach it in a way he thinks it's his idea!

If she raced until 5 she has never been alone. In fact she was in a crate with dogs all around her. Now she is in a kitchen, no other dogs and her "people" are out of site. Her entire world has changed.

If you don't want her upstairs you need to make sure that she doesn't feel so alone. A radio or a TV left on sometimes helps.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

The solution is a very easy one. Kick your husband out and get a new one, a greyhound-person would be best.

That's a joke, of course.

Men are easy creatures. They just have to think that the solution for a problem was their idea. Then we look up to them and pretend never to have been able to find this wonderful solution.

I wish you luck. Our dogs are permitted to every room in the house, but they normally choose to stay in the living-room during the day (or the kitchen when someone is there) and in our bedroom or the spare bedroom during the night, sleeping on their dogbeds.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest JosieP

Thanks, I do leave the radio on and we are in and out of the kitchen often.

The RGT gave us leaflets about separation anxiety, I think we are unsure whether letting her roam all over the house will make that appear. As we're new owners we're not sure what to do to make sure she feels secure but we also need to be able to leave her when eg we go to the gym or shops. I tend to be a worrier and want to make sure I'm looking after her the best way possible.

The RGT gave us leaflets about separation anxiety, I think we are unsure whether letting her roam all over the house will make that appear. ...

No, most likely not. :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Ha ha smurfette, I have thought about your suggestion, believe me, lol

You won't believe it, but I did the same thing. When Colin came to live with me, my boyfriend did not like him and wanted nothing to do with him. I kicked him out and when I met my husband to be, I made sure he liked him. He did not like hime, he adored him, spoiled him, always brought things for him... and still does.

I swear, I can count the times I got a bunch of flowers on one hand, but everytime he goes shopping, he finds something for the greys... treats, stuffies, even a matress for the living-room, if someone does not want to sleep on the sofa.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I agree with all of the above. By 5 weeks, she should be house trained and, if it were my girl, I'd let her have the free roam all over the house. It's her place too. :--) Greyhounds don't like to be alone. She had other Greyhounds and trainers and kennel people when at the track as family. Now she has you and your husband. You are her family. She wants to be with you. Please have your husband read this topic and other posts on the forum about Greyhounds and their family-oriented personality. She will be a sad girl if you don' let her into all your life.

Edited by Feisty49

I agree with others. She should be allowed far more freedom within the home at least while you're home and awake. Being locked in the kitchen all the time isn't really fair in the long term.

I hope your husband can be presuaded. Good luck.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Greyhounds don't like to be alone.....Now she has you and your husband. You are her family. She wants to be with you......She will be a sad girl if you don' let her into all your life.

Amen. What a sad situation for the dog. :(

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Op, I hope you can convince your husband soon to allow her to be part of the family. If he insists that she remain in the kitchen, for this dog's sake, you need to return her to the group you got her from. This is no way for this dog to live the rest of her life.

I think this is something that adoption groups really should start enquiring about when doing a home check. Not just whether or not the dog will be allowed in the house, but will it be allowed to spend it's time with the family or will it be banished away to a single room.

Good luck convincing your husband I do believe your heart wants to do the right thing.

Guest Scouts_mom

I remember when my family got our family dog, a Sheltie. I think I was in 3rd grade. Anyway before the dog arrived Dad laid down the law--the dog was to be an outside dog only. Then it rained one night, guess who thought the dog would be more comfortable sleeping in the garage? Then we had a thunder and lightening storm, guess who allowed the dog to come into the kitchen, because the poor pup was afraid outside? You get the idea. Within a year, the dog was sleeping at night on a dog bed in my parent's room.

Guest JosieP

Thanks for the replies. I've stood firm (with husband) and opened the kitchen door this morning as I'd spent the night last night sitting in there with her. She came straight upstairs and husband started worrying but I told him it will be fine lol. She's had the run of the house today so we will see what she does overnight. I'm going to close the lounge door only and all other doors will be open.

Use baby gates, not closed doors. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****