Help - Yukky Injury - Tendon Visible

Guest Sheilaj

Guest Sheilaj

Gorgeous Maisie (black & white Grey) came back from a squirrel chase with horrid gash just above hind hock joint (inside). I can see a tendon quite clearly. Injury is about 2 inches X 1.5 - skin gone completely so nothing to sew - only a small flap at the top which is loose and flapping.

Was away from home and because my boy (black Grey) has had a similar injury and I allowed surgery that was actually pointless and unnecessarily stressful, I don't want to go to vet. Maisie is no longer in pain - was for a day but no more. For two days now have kept it very clean and flushed it which she permitted me to do. Have not packed it with Manuka and bandaged it. I am just so worried about the visible tendon - any advice please!!!!??? I know if I go to the vet he will want to do something invasive - he always does and I really don't want my poor girl to go through it. She's had such a hard start, coming to me starved and frightened. Hates the vets so any help would be so appreciated - am I being neglectful?

No expert on the treatment, but the same thing happened to my dog in the same spot as you describe a few years ago. It was basically a hole and I could see a white (what I thought was tendon) inside. I went to the vet, where I was told that what I thought was a tendon, wasn't one (I can't remember what the vet actually said it was...it looked like a tendon to me, but apparently the hole wasn't as bad as I thought). In my case, the vet recommended stitching it up (and possibly antibiotics, but I can't remember) because she said the main concern was infection.

Ideally, it sounds like this wound should be stitched up...but I have also had some quite large cuts on my dogs that healed up just fine on their own as well.

Vet.

There are lots of things that we laypeople tend to think can't be stitched that can and should be stitched for best healing.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Vet, and as soon as possible.

It sounds likely that the small flap of skin you describe could be pulled down and stitched. if it can, and if you can definitely see tendon, it should be stitched. The reason skin is there is to keep bugs out of the body's inside parts. ;)

Asking an internet forum medical questions is great when you have a knowledge base as wide as Greytalk's, but any fool can give you an opinion, let's face it. It's no substitute for a vet actually eyeballing the thing and giving you a professional opinion based on years at medical school. I do understand that having a previous bad experience can colour your judgment, but basically, medicine is not an exact science and it sounds as if you were just unlucky.

To answer your last question... well, to be blunt and IMHO, by not taking an injury as potentially serious as this to a vet, yes, I'd call it neglectful. To be fair, I take mine when many people wouldn't, because I've worked for vets and know how things can go bad from owners attempting to treat their dogs themselves and wasting time. Some of the results I've seen have been quite catastrophic. What you've been doing sounds good (I use Manuka honey a lot) but unless you have a really sound knowledge of anatomy and medicine, you could be missing something serious which really does need attention.

Oh, and if you really don't trust your vet, I would seriously consider moving to one that you feel more comfortable with. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Go to the vet and draw the line at whatever you term invasive. Buck had a flap of skin peeled off like that and Dr..Joe glued it back and said every day it held would be better for healing.

If you feel that your current vet pushes unnecessary and/or costly procedures it's time to shop for a new one - but get Mazie looked at first.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Sheilaj

Thanks everyone. Probably should have said that I've been rescuing Grey's for 15 years and there have been many, many injuries over the years - have a permanent spot at the vet. It's not that I don't trust my vet - not at all. It's just that when Monty's (my boy) stitched pulled immediately after surgery, I ended up healing the wound at home with constant cleaning and Manuka. Guess I just wanted to save Maisie (particularly Maisie!) the stress and was hoping to be told that 'everything will be OK without intervention' - looking for approval...daft I know.

Not daft, but I think in this case perhaps a little unrealistic.

I'm like you, been caring for greyhounds since the early 90s (around 20 years now). Some injuries I do heal myself at home, but with the experience I have, I prefer to let a vet take a look at least to make sure I'm not missing something - and also because I tend to have older greys whose healing powers are not the best. Their skin becomes more fragile with age and their restorative powers wane. Manuka honey is definitely our friend, here!

Jeffie is an easily stressed dog, too, so I know where you're coming from. After his fight with a plant trough in the early hours last night and our visit to the 'ER' this morning for a quick look-see and treatment, he vomited. Predictably. It's his go-to stress response, bless his heart.

Guest Scouts_mom

Because of the time that has passed, the skin flap probably cannot be stitched, but at the very least you should get antibiotics for your pup. And remember, you don't have to let the vet do everything he/she would like to do. I once had a vet that always seemed to be recommending surgery or MRI's--I got tired of saying "no" and changed vets.

Guest Sheilaj

Thank you Scouts_mom. The flap is actually really small. I have flushed under it with a syringe and it is only loose to about half a cm. Going in the AM for possible antibiotics and to check that the tendon (or whatever it is) isn't damaged. Unless I'm absolutely convinced otherwise, not going to let them operate. This particular vet has known all of my Grey's and has seen us to the end with all...BUT, they were taken over by a corporate a while ago and every single problem seems to involve heavy-duty treatment. I am loath to change vets because we have such a long history but... anyway, thanks again.

You can stitch things next day, day after, etc. Sometimes you have to debride first but you can do it. You can also do a local instead of general anaesthetic although local can be kind of weird with a leg; need another person to hang onto the dog in the car going home, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My Larry has had his fair share of damaging cuts/severe scrapes to his legs and while most did not require stitches, some did. Late one night, he slipped on the outside stairs and ended up with a gash and I waited until the next day to take him in ... I should have taken him in ASAP as the skin started to die around the edges and they had to remove more of the flap to get a good seam when they stitched.

Guest Sheilaj

Me again. As I've already said, thanks for all the advice/comments. Went to the vet first thing yesterday. Unfortunately because there really was no spare flesh, all had been 'scraped' during the incident, nothing could be done - antibiotics given of course. the small flat wasn't big enough to pull. I just have to pray that it heals. Cleaning regularly and packing it with the best available Manuka. I have everything crossed because failure to heal is a horrid thought. Going back in five days. Feeding extra fish oils and cooking every day for her - just to help. Thanks again all.

Hope the healing goes well.

Here's something to encourage you - I hope! My old boy, Rebel, had a huge open wound on the inside of a front leg in the elbow to shoulder area following surgery at Christmas. The vet chose to keep the wound open and uncovered because of location and lack of skin. He advised using a saline spray and also 'purple spray' (commonly used by farmers) and Rebel was on antibiotics until the wound healed. It took two months, but it has completely healed.

Dippy (Dinky Dipstick) and Velvet (Redbrick Velvet). Remembering sweet handsome Rebel (Emporio Rebel).

Manuka honey is wonderful stuff. We got the go-ahead to use it for a few more days on Jeffie's injury, and then I have some gel called 'Intrasite' to use. It's supposed to be very good at promoting healing, especially in the older ones. Jeff got this because he is old and frail and his skin is thinner than thin. Might be worth enquiring about for your Maisie, too, perhaps?

Vet--

And just my own opinion--treating a dog who was once abused as a "poor dog who was once abused" is a huge disservice to the dog. She has a new life with you. Make her NOW the best it can be. Forget about her past.

Good luck!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You might try water therapy at home. If Maisie doesn't mind standing in the tub just let water run over the wound. Helps if you have a shower house. Do it a couple times a day. Distract her with something tasty.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Sheilaj

Again, thanks all. Just a thought. GeorgeofNE, I realize that you can only go on the information I have provided and I may have (to you) sounded pathetic. But I have been rescuing for 15 years and as I said earlier, have a permanent chair at the vet. When posting here, I was kicking myself for being in the middle of no where and being unable to get Maisie to the vet in a timely fashion. Thereafter, I simply asked for advice from people who may have experience of treating wounds that were 'old' because I also take the dogs personality into consideration. Maisie has had to be treated over and over again for symptoms emanating from the historic abuse and accidents thereafter...the faintest smell of the vet causes her enormous stress - no matter what we try to make it easier. I simply wanted to TRY and save her some stress. This site confirmed I should take her regardless. She is a beautiful animal whose first five years were horrific. She hasn't forgotten her past and therefore, neither will I.

Thanks everyone. Probably should have said that I've been rescuing Grey's for 15 years and there have been many, many injuries over the years - have a permanent spot at the vet. It's not that I don't trust my vet - not at all. It's just that when Monty's (my boy) stitched pulled immediately after surgery, I ended up healing the wound at home with constant cleaning and Manuka. Guess I just wanted to save Maisie (particularly Maisie!) the stress and was hoping to be told that 'everything will be OK without intervention' - looking for approval...daft I know.

I think that sometimes vets seem to have trouble with stitching Greys because their skin is very thin and it doesn't seem to be as "loose" as other breeds, maybe because their muscles etc are so well developed. I would agree with vet visit, even if it can't be stitched. Infection near a joint is best avoided at all costs. Wishing speedy healing thoughts for your pup.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

• 1 month later...

Hi Maisie's Mom,

i have a very skittish hound and his foster mom hated meet and greets because he would deficate in the car. Well we went to the vet for a wellness check last week and a small scrape on the back of his leg and yep- he pooped in the car. he has another scrape on his knee today, it has been cleaned and dressed with wound sealant.he just finished his antibiotic from last week. i have a close vet (2min away) and a greyhound vet (20 min drive). he is wearing innertube collar, and that stresses him and he has to deal with my son being home from college and taking over the hound's room. he likes to isolate.

sorry you get lots of opinions- and some grief. keep rescuing- and keep coming to Greytalk, lots of love here.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps