Hello Everyone

Guest kelsow

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself.

My real name is Rob but my screen name in Kelsow as that's what it is on every forum I belong.

I'm 52 (on Sat) and have been dogless for 40 years but hope to be this coming Saturday.

My wife and I have had the meeting with our local Rescue http://gpac.ca/ and were OK'd that day.

About 25 dogs arrived last weekend and this weekend the adoption starts.

There are 3, two year old boys with brindle colouring that I would love to have but will be happy with any animal.

Question. The only need we have is that the dog has to be cat safe. Other than that, I want the dog to pick me. Is that how everyone got their pet or did some have a predetermined idea of what they wanted?

Thanks and I hope to spend a lot of time here.

Welcome! We expressed interest in Sweep after seeing her picture on the adoption group's website. We had previously specified only that we'd prefer a cat-safe female or smaller male. (At this point I'd be open to a big boy, but for our first dog the difference between 60 lbs and 80s lbs seemed massive, especially in our smallish townhome.) They brought Sweep and two other cat-safe females for a home visit, and Sweep immediately came in and leaned on me, and when I sat she rested her head on my leg. She also went up the stairs successfully on her own after only one try. So, for us it was a combination, but I truly feel we got the one we were meant to have.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Welcome from Kitchener! My dogs all chose me from a pool of cat safe hounds.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

You have your eye on awesome looking Greys. I like hearing stories about how others chose, or were chosen by, their houndies.

Annie picked me.

After many, many years of wanting a Greyhound, my personal situation was finally at a point where I was ready to adopt, so I researched local Greyhound adoption groups in my area and went to the first M&G that one of them was having, the upcoming Saturday. I went just to look. I thought I'd spend a few weeks checking out Greyhounds in my area and then make a well-thought-out decision. Ha!

As usually happens when going to a M&G, 5 or 6 Greyhounds swarmed around me, each pushing with its nose for attention and lovin'. I fell in love with all of them, and after my attention, they all moved on to another sucker person, except for Annie. She stayed, and she leaned.... and leaned... and leaned. She had been in foster care for over 2 months because she was an aloof girl. I was told she never sought out people and thus was thought to be too shy by potential adopters. I was the first person from whom she sought attention, and as it turned out, the last.

I stayed at the M&G for about 3 hours, petting Annie, walking her around the store and taking her outside for potty. On her part, she never left my side. I was more than smitten, and considered it a sign that not only did she like me, but that her name was also the name of the first dog I had as a child (a boxer) and and she was cat safe.

Long story short (I love to tell this story, can't ya tell? LOL) is that a week later I adopted her and she was mine! It took the group just 48 hours to vet my application and give approval. She's been my girl since July 2011 and we're best buddies.

Adopting a Greyhound is a happy experience and watching her/his personality change and bond with yours is even better. Good luck!

Guest Bean_Scotch

Welcome from Indiana! I picked all my dogs. I don't like adoption groups picking my dog for me. I only wanted to adopt black ones. I prefer males, but females are okay too...I found a group that lets me pick my dogs and we've all lived happily ever after! Good luck in getting your new guy/girl!

Well, I did it. Went to the kennel this am, talked to the owner/adopter for about 5 hours.

There was a ton of great information to try to remember and it was fun as well.

There was only one other couple there but there were only 3 dogs available out of 25 or 30

They ran into a bit of a set back with trying to get them all spayed/neutered in time.

It didn't matter as the dogs that were there were great. One was named Kelso so I thought that

wouldn't be a good choice.

Meet Jackson or Jax for short. He was formally known as Dynaguy.

Jax1.jpg

That's the way it goes. You went for a brindle and came home with a fawn. There are plenty of us with that story. Welcome from Delaware.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a handsome fawn guy Jackson is -- Congreytulations! What a terrific birthday present. (Will your wife get a hound on her birthday, too?) Wishing your family and Jax many many happy years together.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Congratulations and welcome to GT! :confetti And welcome home handsome Jax!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks all. He's turning from an alien and into a dog slowly but surely.

He's a bit of a finicky eater as he won't eat peanut butter or cream cheese. He even turned his nose up at carrots and cheddar cheese.

We just got in from a short walk and he had a poo. yeah! I was getting concerned.

The only gross thing is getting all the ** off your hands after you place it in the bag...

:rofl

Thanks all. He's turning from an alien and into a dog slowly but surely.

He's a bit of a finicky eater as he won't eat peanut butter or cream cheese. He even turned his nose up at carrots and cheddar cheese.

No peanut butter or cheeses? Wow. Those are a couple of the go-to treats I give Annie for something special or to get a med into her. Are you sure he's a Greyhound? :hehe

I like the way you say he's turning into a dog slowly. You must never ever let him hear you call him "a dog," as if that's all he is. :bgeorge Greyhounds think they're more than just a dog and we tend to reinforce that. LOL

Edited by Feisty49

Guest sireltonsmom

Rob, congratulations on Jax! You're beginning a fun journey. You are guaranteed a smile and a laugh a day! We have a big fawn boy, Beau (3) and a white and black MINDY (10). We put a piece of newspaper under their butts when they commit. Makes cleanup easy and rarely have to clean hands because....... :-). Enjoy your boy!

I was going to tell you how one of our hounds picked us- he leaned against only us for 45 minutes at a M&G. We were not even looking to expand the pack but Diego clearly told us that we were his people! That was almost 7 years ago!

Congrats on Jax- he is a handsome houndie!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.