Hello From Virginia

Guest mhastyy

Guest mhastyy

Hello guys. My name is Maz and I am the proud new owner of a Greyhound. She is my first grey, and so far I have loved it. My baby's name is Sim. I adopted her 2 weeks ago from Roanoke, VA. I am from Richmond, but live in Roanoke for graduate school. 

About Sim- she is 6 year old, super friendly and sniffs everything. So far she has been pretty bombproof, ignoring everything from blenders to vacuums. (She does get scared by thunder) She loves walks and meeting new people. We also occasionally go to the tennis courts in my neighborhood for a frolic, which I think might be her favorite thing ever. She is a little lazy and a lot sweet. 

I have done some lurking around on the GT forums and will continue to do more. I have learned a lot so far from reading about everyone's experiences and it has really helped calm some of my nerves (I'm a worrier) 

I look forward to meeting some of you guys, and appreciate any advice you have. So far our biggest issue has been thunderstorms and a wee bit of separation anxiety, but I have a DAP collar  and we are working on alone training. It is going well, I think it is more of an adjustment issue. 

10346652_10152153920926234_7459376056243

welcome! Sim is beautiful!

our Zeke is horrible with storms too -- we now give him a Melatonin every 8 hours as needed, and found that a Thunder Shirt seems to help too (but not on every dog).

good luck -- I feel for you!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest sireltonsmom

Welcome from the land of thunderstorms! You might try lavender oil drops on a cloth thru her house collar. That helped my boy. We have a white/black girl that looks like Sim. She has some S.A. But isn't destructive. We think she's gorgeous! Wishing you many happy years with your girl.

Welcome -- I'm SW of you when you're in Roanoke, in Marion. Sim looks beautiful and sweet.

The best advice someone gave me for my first dog, who was miserable at first, was that if I treated her like she had something to be sorry about ("Oh, poor baby -- you must miss your first family and home so much"), then she would act like she had something to be sorry about. If I treated her like she was the happiest, luckiest dog in the world then that's what she would act like. It was greyt advice in general, and it might be helpful with mild thunderstorm phobia and separation anxiety, too.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest IrskasMom

Sim is Beautiful :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart Congrats and Welcome

Edited by IrskasMom

Welcome, I am just up the road from Richmond, in Stafford. Your Sim is just lovely! EVERYONE loves a cowdoggie.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Hello! I'm in Salem and just got Homer from Star City about three weeks ago :).

Cathy

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

We haven't been too social yet...but Star City is at Petsmart just about every weekend. I'm going to try and get Homer out there this weekend to say hello...and try and get more names etc. I'd like to try and be a little more involved, with Jackie it was hard on her to drive...and Xena is just a little to crazy still (she came from a bad situation and is still learning to relax and interact). But, now we have Homer and he'll love to visit other people and dogs.

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

Guest mhastyy

Cool! I will likely do the same once we are settled. Sim isn't overly social with other dogs, so I'm not too worried aboutsocializing her a ton, but it would be nice to have the option.

• 3 weeks later...

We also occasionally go to the tennis courts in my neighborhood for a frolic, which I think might be her favorite thing ever.  

Just a quick word of advice - sometimes their paws can get raw from running on concrete, especially tennis courts. Their pads need to toughen up.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest GreytOD

I don't come on Greytalk all that often, but happened to stop by today and see your post.
I knew Sim. I love that rambunctious girly! I was so happy when I heard she got adopted. Give her some ear rubbin' from me!

Here are some pictures I have of her, from meet and greets in Christiansburg.

Getting some love.
7170763349_b4d11d9b9b_z.jpg

Out for a walk

7355977180_94fb50130a_z.jpg

7355976382_20cc942e24_z.jpg

7355976164_0ddd66d003_z.jpg

7355976058_0aaf10654c_z.jpg

7355975972_0f62cac00a_z.jpg

7355976868_3b1c3c47e2_z.jpg

And a few from a day I spent hanging out at the kennel taking pictures.

I'll link these to not take over your whole thread.

Chasing Bonnie and the toy: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6733965427_4162761403_z.jpg
Waiting for me to throw the toy: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6733966493_80dccfb8e1_z.jpg

Coming to get me for lovin': https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6733967535_32d83b5fd9_z.jpg

Watching something go by: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6733977195_355f8d7581_z.jpg

Coming to get me again: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6733979069_246b8e3a55_z.jpg

Chase the toy!: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6733979421_797209a6cb_z.jpg

We adopted Pepper from SCGA as well. We're located in Blacksburg. We have play groups down in Bburg every so often, that may be a bit of a drive for you, but you're welcome to join us if you'd like (you can find us on Facebook under Blacksburg Greyhound Group). Once a year SCGA usually does a meet up for Greyhound Planet Day. And SCGA does the Roanoke St Patrick's day parade every year. I believe SCGA does a few other parades throughout the year too. Just keep an eye on the SCGA group on Facebook for posts about them.

Congratulations again on your awesome girly :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love her spots! Welcome from AZ!

Just got back from visiting VA yesterday. It is so beautiful. Wish I were still there.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)