Dog Bite

Guest driser

Guest driser

I did do a search first and didn't see any convos regarding dog bites.

Our neighbor got a purebred Shar Pei from shelter. My first thoughts were hmmmm, can be aggressive, aren't you curious WHY it was at shelter? Today, I think we learned why. He bit our Greyhound today.

Thankfully he was on a leash (not short enough) so it was over as fast as it happened. It was just a brief mouth-open blow to his shoulder. 99% of the marks (there are three points of contact; wide mouth on that square scrunch face) are quite superficial...more like abrasions than puncture, but there is a shallow 1/4" puncture. I shaved the areas so I could really clean them with cotton pads soaked with hydrogen peroxide and have applied antibiotic ointment a few times since this encounter.

Our county only has a one-bite law. If we can avoid an unnecessary bill and report of the incident, we'd prefer.

Would you think diligent home care and keeping an eye out for any sign of infection would suffice at this point? Or does he automatically need an oral antibiotic? We're conservative about such things as taking them for not can make them less effective when it really matters. True in humans and our beloved animals.

Appreciate input/opinions.

Guest Greekgrey

I'm glad your grey is okay. You might call the vet just to ask if they think he needs an antibiotic.

As for the other dog, if it bites once it will bite again. You need to report it. You don't want this to happen to someone else, especially a child.

I speak from experience. Our neighbor's dog bit our son three years ago, and since it was mostly a scratch we didn't report it. Then last year, she bit our daughter and it was very severe. Both instances were totally unprovoked. The 'opportunity' was strange children within her reach.

The threads on this topic usually have the words attack, attacked, or aggressive in them. if you search those terms you will find those types of threads.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Do not repeat the hydrogen peroxide. The 1/4" puncture might be worse than you think. You really need a vet to assess the risk of infection and get the right antibiotic.

You might also see bruising or bruise pooling down from the attack site.

If your vet asks how it happened, be truthful. If another attack happens would you be comfortable with that? Since the owner is your neighbor would you really feel safe near this dog? You could say do didn't report the bite to animal control but that the vet did.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Don't vets have to legally report a bit?

I think that's generally the rule if a person gets bit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest MnMDogs

Please check with your vet. We had a dog bite in the house and the vet prescribed abx. Puncture wounds/bites can be worse than they appear. Hope you're all doing ok.

I assume that since the dog was recently adopted from a shelter, the dog was current on its rabies vaccine?

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Get your dog checked by a vet and please report the incident to the proper authorities.

Don't wait for him to do it to someone else....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Take the dog to the vet. Give the bill to the owners of the Shar Pei.

My dog is other breed aggressive. It is easily handled. He loves all people. Just because this dog bit your dog doesn't mean he's going to maul a child--I'd leave it up to the new owner to deal with myself.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Particularly with a puncture, I'd have it looked at, your vet may want to prescribe an antibiotic.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I don't think it is true that if a dog bites once, it will be apt to bite again.

Five years ago, our foster dog Alex bit me. (I take the blame - he was new to us, and I hadn't built his trust - I stupidly played around and took a rawhide out of his mouth.) We ended up adopting him. He has never shown further signs of aggression and in fact, he has a wonderful personality.

It could be that the neighbors new dog is stressed with its new environment and will settle in as soon as its new owners establish a solid routine. I'll bet the owners are pretty upset about their dog biting your dog and have learned a valuable lesson about being diligent when around other dogs. Especially at the beginning of their relationship.

I hope your dog is on the mend.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).