In Gratitude To The Difficult Dogs

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

Every dog that has come to me has been difficult in the beginning. Each one brought a particular set of challenges. Sometimes I cursed fate and wished for an easy dog to spend time with and enjoy life.

But early on I came to realize that each of them brought me something unique and special that I needed to learn about myself, about my own approach to life, about my own beliefs.

I will always be grateful to all of them for those difficult gifts. They dragged me through, always more gracefully than myself, and taught me what is important about life. Building the relationship with each one created such a special treasure.

Easy dogs are easy. But difficult dogs can be hidden gems, and when you find them, they are even more precious :heart

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I agree. The super-shy ones, the reactive ones, you name it, the more difficult they seem to be, the payoff seems to be better.

I agree. The super-shy ones, the reactive ones, you name it, the more difficult they seem to be, the payoff seems to be better.

This also goes for dogs that aren't necessarily yours. All the shelter dogs I've helped over the years - the tough ones, the fear aggressive ones, the dog aggressive ones, the reactive ones, the ones with such an obsession with balls that nothing else mattered, and the ones who were afraid of their own shadow... :beatheart

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

DH and I tend to think we have "easy" dogs - and they are in many ways - but each one has had its challenges when I think about it. I'd like to think my horse Gracie has helped me tremendously too when it comes to my dogs. Handling 1,100 lbs. of chestnut mare has taught me a lot about animal behavior,

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

The day I turned on the coffee grinder and Myka took off running, only to stop when I reassured her it was ok, was THE BEST DAY. She was a different dog after that. :beatheart

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I still tear up when I think about the day Cash actually came up to ME for attention for the first time! Even the smallest signs of affection from her are worth the world to me.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I foster the difficult hounds as well. It is so rewarding to help them along to where they can be adoptable. These hounds are the best things in life.

Guest Greylover3803

Thank you for posting this as I needed to see it this week. I am trying to appreciate the little victories each day and not get discouraged by the set backs. I thought I knew what to expect having had a Greyhound before, but now realize I was really naive to think that she wouldn't be so different. Week 2 begins today!

Guest BiggiesOwner

Threads like this make me feel so much better as well. It seems like every grey owner I meet in my area has the "perfect dog - no problems ever". Then I come back and read some greytalk to reassure myself it isn't just my dog with "quirks".

I agree with the OP's sentiment so much. I've worked with 3 shy and unsocialized dogs now, 2 of whom are still with me, and know the rewards of gaining their trust and love. I'm about to embark on a new adventure (waiting on group approval) of a reportedly aggressive dog and am looking forward (although not without some misgivings) to helping this boy, too.

I've learned much from my shy girls and boy, and my 2 confident girls and protective boy (some angels now), in the times they've shared with me, and have not one iota of regret about having brought any of them into my life, or my pack. Thank you for the reminder.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I agree. This is my first grey that has been a real challenge. I've had 6 Greys over the years and the one I have is super reactive, and suffers from SA. But I would not give her up for the world. ♡♥

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Every dog that has come to me has been difficult in the beginning. Each one brought a particular set of challenges. Sometimes I cursed fate and wished for an easy dog to spend time with and enjoy life.

But early on I came to realize that each of them brought me something unique and special that I needed to learn about myself, about my own approach to life, about my own beliefs.

I will always be grateful to all of them for those difficult gifts. They dragged me through, always more gracefully than myself, and taught me what is important about life. Building the relationship with each one created such a special treasure.

Easy dogs are easy. But difficult dogs can be hidden gems, and when you find them, they are even more precious :heart

Beautifully said and so very true.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

One of this kind became my heart dog. she is gone now but through the many difficulties in the beginning became one so very special to me~we were tuned in to each other. People think that when you talk of the great loves of your life it means a person but it can also mean a dog.

I love this quote and it's sort of applicable here. You can sub "adopt/foster greyhound" at the beginning.

"With everything that has happened to you, you can either feel sorry for yourself or treat what has happened as a gift. Everything is either an opportunity to grow or an obstacle to keep you from growing. You get to choose."

-- Wayne W. Dyer

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest DeniseL

My love, my best beautiful baby boy Miami was horrific in the beginning. In fact, he was down right dangerous, especially for new greyhound owners. He almost took out my eye and left me with a horribly bruised face for weeks. He also bit me twice on the arms. I learned to back off and to have true patience. We worked with trainers and behaviorist and it took a year to really make progress.

But boy do I love him. It doesn't feel right to say that I love him more than my other babies, but it is very different. To see him trust me and give me affection and follow me around and come to me when he is scared means the world to me. He is my gorgeous baby boy and I love him to death. We have a special connection that my DH definitely does not have with him and I think it is because of the rough road we had in the beginning.

However, I still have flashbacks sometimes and will always have a great respect for his toofers. :)

So true. Quiet Man was my first greyhound, and my most difficult in many ways, but he was the love of my love and I was lucky to have 7 amazing, life-changing years with my Bubba! :heart

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com