Behavior Issue

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

Joey since I got him always worshiped Casper. He was a little mini me as he mimicked everything Casper did. Casper of course being a Dogo and not a Greyhound was a lot more aggressive, territorial and protective. But if Casper liked someone, Joey went gaga over them, all friendly and very affectionate.

Since Casper has died, Joey is no longer friendly with people like he used to be. He is wary of them and aggressive at the gate or in the car when people approach. He actually bit my neighbor on her hand when she was petting Repo. He was quick, went behind my roommate and grabbed the top of her hand. He did break skin and bruised her pretty good.

He was ok when my Dad and his friend came over to help cut down 2 trees yesterday. He never showed any aggression and he did approach them to be petted, but not all friendly, happy like he used to be.

I just want my old happy boy back. I hope he gets out of this funk he has been in. He still loves to play and is very active. I don't know if the aloofness with people is all because of Casper or just him maturing, or a combo of both. But it didn't start until a few days after Casper died. Ronon is not friendly at all with strangers, He hides behind and me and shakes, he is spooky around people. Casper was the one to always to up to greet people and Joey went with him.

Any suggestions for dealing with this?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Maybe he is trying to assume the role of protector as Casper did? Since he no longer has Casper prompting him, he feels lost and confused, and is essentially regressing in his behavior? Very interesting. I have had some minor issue with Dudley ever since he was bit at the park last year, he is no longer comfortable with other breeds, I have to re introduce him to the same dogs he used to love... Maybe you need to treat this like a socialization issue? Basically start from square one. Wish I had better advice.

Guest WhiteWave

Maybe he is trying to assume the role of protector as Casper did? Since he no longer has Casper prompting him, he feels lost and confused, and is essentially regressing in his behavior? Very interesting. I have had some minor issue with Dudley ever since he was bit at the park last year, he is no longer comfortable with other breeds, I have to re introduce him to the same dogs he used to love... Maybe you need to treat this like a socialization issue? Basically start from square one. Wish I had better advice.

That is kinda what I was thinking. He feels he needs to step up and take on the roll as protector like Casper was. Ronon will not because that is not him. Joey is now the biggest dog in the pack. The other night my friend and her kids came over and it was dark and Joey was acting like cujo at the gate. Ramming it, growling, barking. Those were all typical Casper behaviors when anyone approached the gate even known people. Casper didn't allow anyone in unless I opened the gate and let them in.

Yes, it does sound like Joey is trying to take over Casper's role as guardian. You know a whole lot more about dog behavior than I do, so I don't have any suggestions (nothing I tried really worked to change my territorial guardian greyhound :rolleyes: ) just wishing you good luck!

edited to add, Joey is probably still grieving for Casper as well.

Edited by Remolacha

It sounds like he's stressed at the loss of his companion, a dog he was very very bonded with. I would limit his interactions with people you don't know as much as possible, keep your routine as normal as possible to try to help him adjust to the loss, and when people do come over, make sure he has a safe space to retreat to (you may need to actually gate him away or crate him for safety) and ask guests to toss him really yummy treats from a distance to remind him that people are associated with good stuff (or if you have to separate him, give him a really yummy stuffed frozen kong or other high value item to work on). I would also consider natural or prescription anti-anxiety remedies until he adjusts. You could try a DAP diffuser or collar, l-theanine supplement (Anxitane is the name of the dog version, or you can buy human capsules, 100 mg 2x/day for a male greyhound), Melatonin, etc. If those don't work, I would consider trying something like Prozac short term until he's back on track, then you could try weaning him off of it.

I'm sorry, it must be tough dealing with this on top of losing a pup. Hopefully this is temporary and just part of the grief process for him. As much exercise as you can manage should help take the edge off too. Or you could always consider adopting another confident dog, but there are no guarantees there and that could backfire, but if you had the option to foster perhaps and were interested in adding another dog to your pack anyway, it would be worth considering.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Maybe it's not so much that he is trying to take over Casper's role by stepping up, but that he is stressed and fearful because he doesn't have that taken care of for him any longer. Maybe he doesn't want to be the strong one but he needs a strong one to take over once again?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I don't know enough about Joey, but here is my thinking. Let Joey know that YOU are in charge. If someone comes over put the leash on him (before they enter the house or yard) and make him stay by your side. Let people know they are not to pet him. Reward good behavior and redirect behaviors you don't want. If you are sitting he needs to sit or lay down. You know how well trained he is or isn't so you will have to gauge what he can do and what you can ask of him. Basically let Joey know that now you are the one who says who comes and goes and he doesn't have to. Also, If you are not already doing it I'd start NILIF with him. Help him to know that he doesn't have to be in charge because you are and he can look to you for cues of how to behave.

If I'm way off base with this I apologize, but that is how I'd handle one of my pups should something like that start.

Guest WhiteWave

Joey was really bonded with Casper, but some of I do think is him just being a butthead. He is 19 months old and wants to be the dominant dog now. He loved Casper because Casper was the dominant dog and Joey was 8 weeks old when he joined the pack and he just took right to Casper and pestered him until Casper accepted him. He could get away with stuff Casper would have killed another dog for doing! He is not fearful and has never appeared fearful to me.

We get very few visitors. Maybe 4-5 people a year and most are family who have zero interest in the dogs and would not help with training at all. Everything we do is very routine and other than work, it is all revolved around the dogs. The go more places than most peoples children! I am on vacation this week so we are doing more than usual. Probably take them hiking again tomorrow.

Joey at the beach on Monday. He spent 2 hours running in the woods on Saturday, 3 hours on Sunday and spent an hour and half at the beach on Monday chasing the tennis ball and frisbee. He gets plenty of exercise. The more the better with him. He would run until he dropped if I let him. He is super high energy though. He runs daily and we try to go hiking 2 times a week at least and now that the weather has warmed up, will be going to the beach. Running in the water keeps him cool and tires him faster than just running on land. But as long as I can throw the ball, he will go get it and bring it back.

RivernJoey_zpsfdad3fb4.jpg

Joeyrunning_zpsd002033f.jpg

Mytennisball_zpsa803c265.jpg

Lure coursing 2 weeks ago

Joey_zpse9158f44.jpg

Playing with the new puppy

Joeyandpup2_zps9a7ef1e4.jpg

Out hiking

Theboys_zps17d9392b.jpg

I wonder if he's not so much guarding you but the new puppy?? Puppies?? Our Whiskey is the biggest wimp in the world, EXCEPT when Lilly was a small puppy and he was sort of "in charge" of her. He protected her from the other dogs and seemed to hover over her when we were out places with them. Now that Lilly is grown and almost 3 years old, he's backed off considerably.

Just a thought.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest WhiteWave

I wonder if he's not so much guarding you but the new puppy?? Puppies?? Our Whiskey is the biggest wimp in the world, EXCEPT when Lilly was a small puppy and he was sort of "in charge" of her. He protected her from the other dogs and seemed to hover over her when we were out places with them. Now that Lilly is grown and almost 3 years old, he's backed off considerably.

Just a thought.

That is a possibility. He did NOT want the neighbor touching Repo. He didn't seem to care about the other dogs. He bit her when she was touching Repo. But she used to pet Casper all the time. And even Ronon will go up to her to let her pet him and she is like 1 of 4 people in the entire world who can pet him with his permission!

I wonder sometimes if dogs get used to certain things (barking etc.) happening in certain conditions, and if the regular guy isn't there to do it, well, somebody has to ......

It might be worth practicing the things you want him TO do in those situations -- "wait," "easy," whatever. Give him a new job to do, if that makes sense.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wonder sometimes if dogs get used to certain things (barking etc.) happening in certain conditions, and if the regular guy isn't there to do it, well, somebody has to ......

It might be worth practicing the things you want him TO do in those situations -- "wait," "easy," whatever. Give him a new job to do, if that makes sense.

That's exactly what I was thinking about why he is doing the barking.

I don't have any advice that hasn't been posted already, just hoping that you'll find your new "normal" and all will be well again. :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Tiffany, I'm so sorry that Casper passed away. I somehow missed it on here. :grouphug

I don't really have any advice to offer, but I know what it's like to have a bonded pair. When Henry started going through his cancer treatment, it really took a toll on Truman. His stress would manifest in different ways. He'd compulsively lick. He was much more jittery and jumpy all the time. If I took Henry to a vet appointment by himself, Truman would cry and whine and sit out in the yard for hours watching for my car. It was pitiful. I made the decision to put him on an anti-anxiety medication, and it's actually has helped a lot. He's still not happy when there's a change in his environment (I spent $200 on new dog beds, and he immediately peed on his). And he's still very attached to Henry. But at least it's an improvement from before. I don't know what Truman would do if we lost Henry, though. I worry about it all the time.

Guest WhiteWave

Tiffany, I'm so sorry that Casper passed away. I somehow missed it on here. :grouphug

I don't really have any advice to offer, but I know what it's like to have a bonded pair. When Henry started going through his cancer treatment, it really took a toll on Truman. His stress would manifest in different ways. He'd compulsively lick. He was much more jittery and jumpy all the time. If I took Henry to a vet appointment by himself, Truman would cry and whine and sit out in the yard for hours watching for my car. It was pitiful. I made the decision to put him on an anti-anxiety medication, and it's actually has helped a lot. He's still not happy when there's a change in his environment (I spent $200 on new dog beds, and he immediately peed on his). And he's still very attached to Henry. But at least it's an improvement from before. I don't know what Truman would do if we lost Henry, though. I worry about it all the time.

Thank you. We all took it hard. I was planning on Pongo going first and Casper has issues in December and came back and then his back went completely out and he was paralyzed. :(

I honestly don't mind the barking, but I don't want him biting people. I am hoping maybe it was a just a freak one time incident but I started carrying a muzzle with us when we go places and keeping a closer eye on him.

It could be he now feels like he should step up and be the protector. Minny did this after my Slim crossed over and previouly Minny was far far from a protector. But he taught himself and learned and actually became a good one. It was very touching. When I was removing Slim's tag from a collar Minny stuck his neck out and made it very clear he wanted me to put Slim's tag on him. You can't get more obvious than that.

"Those were all typical Casper behaviors when anyone approached the gate even known people. Casper didn't allow anyone in unless I opened the gate and let them in." Another possible reason is that he let Casper visit through him. It is known that animal's (spirit) that have crossed over can return via the earth suit of another animal if the earth animal allows it. This happens a lot and most people are just puzzled at how their current dog suddenly is exhibiting the exact behaviors of a crossed over dog and had never done them before. When the current dog allows it that means he really loves you a lot as he is placing himself behind the crossed over dog that he knows you so loved. It is like the crossed over dog periodically visits via the earth dog. In between times the earth dog acts like his usual self.

So perhaps you have a combo of both things going on. Regardless, what it really means is that Joey loves you deeply and wants to provide you what you need to be happy, whether it be protection or a visit from Casper. JMO based on quite a bit of experience with this kind of thing.