Pain After A Run

Mazy ran laps in the yard and is hurting. She runs so hard playing with Pudge (who stands while Mazy circles around her).

Usually she comes back in the house, flops down, and pants for a while.

This time she can't get comfortable. Restless. Yelps laying down and getting up. Gingerly got on the couch. Back down again. Stood looking at the wall.

Several up and downs on dog beds, yelping a little bit less each time. Finally settling down on the couch.

I don't think this requires an e-vet visit plus she would really balk at getting in the car.

If I need to give her something, what should it be? I have tramadol, rimadyl, valium and trazodone on hand.

0c497256-6ba4-4c91-b97c-c5a534b31d38_zps Soon after coming in she wouldn't rest her head down. She is now though.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Awwww...poor girlie....I bet she's hurt her neck.

Ruby was like this a couple months ago....looked just like Mazy...sore, crying out and very awkward looking when she would put her head down.

After two doses of 'medicam' (NSAID) and 24 hours of rest, she was fine.

I'd start with the 'weakest' med and 'move up' if it wasn't enough.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

She's doing better now. Got up and did a stretch. I haven't given her anything yet. If only she would remember how she feels now the next time she wants to over do it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If you can identify where the pain is, a hot, wet towel might help ease any muscle pain and doesn't have any risks (at least that I can imagine).

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Something similar happened with Charley this morning. She and Sallie were chasing each other around the yard this morning like crazy girls. This is the first time she has really done much running and when she came in her back legs were shaking. The weird thing was, she didn't seem the least bit uncomfortable or upset. Luckily, after a few minutes she stopped shaking and was fine. I was so pleased to see the girls playing, but now I worry about her overdoing!

Maybe even some benedryl for the sleepy factor.

Mazy, feel better soon!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Crisis averted. Whatever it was has passed and she is happily roaching.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ah, she was just hoping you would spend money at the vet's! :lol

I'm glad she's okay.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

As others have said, it does look like it might be neck pain, a warm compress would be my first suggestion followed by a very gentle massage.

Scully used to get terrible cramps in his neck when he was young, poor boy would scream with pain, the compresses and massage helped him. I'm afraid I am somebody who uses pain relief sparingly both for myself and my dogs, I always think that pain has purpose.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT