List Of Unsafe Flea Meds, Other Meds & Anesthesia Protocols?

Do we have a compilation somewhere on GT of the best flea, tick and heartworm meds and those never to use?

Do we have a list of safe anesthesia agents and those never to use?

Do we have a list of medicines that should never be used? Isn't morphine or opiates on the "no" list?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Editing to add: please read all the posts in this thread to get more complete information.

Thanks, LuvEarsies.

Culled from that list:

never use

any Thiobarbituates

commonly used pre-medications

sedatives

- Acepromazine (I thought this was a bad one?)

- Medetomidine

opioids

- Torbugesic

- Butophonal

- Buprenorphone

- Morphine (I thought this was a bad one?)

anti-cholinergics

- Atropine

- Glycopyrollate

induction agents

Telazoz

Propofol

Ketamine/Valium

gas anesthesia

Isoflurane

Sevoflurane

Intravenous catheters preferred

Pre-surgical bloodwork necessary

Temperature monitoring

Vets and vet techs, can you comment on this list?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Editing to add: please read all the posts in this thread to get more complete information.

Here's a list of flea, tick and heartworm meds. Please add or comment on these regarding their safety and effectiveness:

any flea collar

any tick collar

Adams Flea & Tick spray

Advantage

Advantix

Frontline

Frontline Plus

Heartguard

Heartguard Plus

Interceptor

Sentinel

Comfortis

Trifexis

Pyrethrin-based products are safe.

-including Permethrin, Allethrin, Resmethrin

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Marsroving

Mars came from GAO and honestly did much better on morphine than bupe for pain control after his stitches. He reacted so badly to the bupe I went back to the vet the next day and she gave him a two day supply of morphine. Worked much better for him. He was completely whacked out with the buprenorphine.

About a month after Mars came home he chased an animal up a tree, one of the branches tore his back leg apart and he needed somewhere between 17-30 stitches to put it back together. Poor guy...

Edited by Marsroving

In terms of flea/tick/HW meds, greyhounds aren't all that different from other dogs, and there are few meds that should 'never be used'. Products that have safety concerns are usually ones that apply to all dogs, not just greyhounds. There really also aren't any "best" products, as each covers a slightly different spectrum of parasites, so it's more a matter of what kind of protection you need based on your area, neighbors, and lifestyle. Best to discuss these products with your vet so that you can make the best choice for your individual dog and situation.

All of the newer flea/tick/HW meds marketed through vet clinics are fine to use. Most of the tick collars are fine. I don't recommend any of the OTC flea collars for any dogs, mostly because they're not effective, and expose the pet to unnecessary chemicals. Pyrethrin is safe. Permethrin and pyrethroid compounds are more likely to have side effects, but are usually ok if dosed properly. Keep in mind that many of the opinions you read on various forums about products or meds "never to use" are often just that - individual opinions based on personal experience that may not apply to all greyhounds. I've heard people say that you should never use permethrin in greyhounds. But K9Advantix contains permethrin and apparently the OSU greyhound program used it for all their blood donors.

Most modern anesthetic agents used these days are safe for greyhounds. The ones that weren't were barbiturates, which are rarely used anymore. Rather than asking for specific drugs or protocols, the safest one is often the one your vet is most familiar with. Dr. Stack's article on anesthesia is another good resource:
http://www.greythealth.com/anesthesia.html

Morphine and opioids aren't necessarily a problem for greyhounds. There is some thought that greyhounds may be more likely to have dysphoric reactions, but IMO, that's not a reason to completely avoid these drugs when they are often the best option for pain control after invasive surgical procedures. They should obviously avoided in individual dogs with a history of having had a bad reaction.

Acepromazine is also safe to use in greyhounds as long as it is an appropriate, low dose. It's a standard part of my preanesthetic protocol, although I use a lower dose for greyhounds than other breeds.

I don't think it's changed a lot, but here's a newer version of Dr. Feeman's Greyhound Health Packet:
http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/Library/2010-greyhound-medical-packet.pdf

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Does anybody have experiences with COMFORTIS? My vet recommended this orally taken pill against fleas but I read that it can

cause quite a few disagreable side effects.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Does anybody have experiences with COMFORTIS? My vet recommended this orally taken pill against fleas but I read that it can

Sweep's been on it for the past year. The first two doses, she did seem a bit "off" (possibly nauseated?) but she never had diarrhea or vomiting or anything quantifiable. She's been fine ever since, though, and I am always careful to give it immediately after a full meal. It works well; I have never seen a flea on her.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Here's a list of flea, tick and heartworm meds. Please add or comment on these regarding their safety and effectiveness:

any flea collar

any tick collar

Adams Flea & Tick spray

Advantage

Advantix

Frontline

Frontline Plus

Heartguard

Heartguard Plus

Interceptor

Sentinel

Comfortis

Trifexis

Pyrethrin-based products are safe.

-including Permethrin, Allethrin, Resmethrin

Here's the list from Grassmere's website; it is probably somewhat outdated since Comfortis is not on there, but they prescribed it for Sweep.

Individually, any dog or cat can show an intolerance to any product, so when you try a new product it is always wise to observe your pet afterwards for any signs of a problem. If your individual Greyhound seems intolerant of something, look for a substitute.

Remember to weigh the brief annoyance of an odor, itch, or slight redness from a topical treatment against the long-term problems from a flea or tick infestation.

FLEA AND TICK PRODUCTS WE CARRY AND CAN RECOMMEND FOR YOUR GREYHOUND

• Advantage® - gives very good topical flea control

• Front Line's Top Spot® is commonly used on Greyhounds for both flea and tick control with topical drops

• Advantix® - a somewhat controversial flea/tick product but one that has been used very successful in many many Greyhounds. It contains permethrin, so is best not used around cats.

• Revolution® - another topical product that combines heartworm, flea, and some tick control, but may seem slow to work

• Sentinel® is an oral medication that combines excellent heartworm and intestinal worm protection with luferon, an ingredient that prevents flea eggs and larvae from developing.

• Preventic® collars are a tick-collar (does NOT kill fleas) that can be used on Greyhounds.

• Advantage Multi® - combines Advantage with another chemical to provide protection against heartworms, fleas, roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms with a monthly topical application. It does not treat for ticks.

HEARTWORM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR GREYHOUND - We strongly recommend year-round heartworm protection for your Greyhound

• Interceptor® - a monthly oral chewable tablet that also protects against hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms

• Sentinel® - same as Interceptor, but with luferon added for some flea protection

• Revolution® - a topical monthly heartworm preventative

• Heartguard® - another safe monthly heartworm preventative

• Advantage Multi® - a new topical monthly preventative with added protection against fleas and intestinal worms

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Marion, years ago we used Comfortis and later switched to Trefexis when it came out. The only one of my dogs to get an upset tummy and occasionally vomit the pills was my mutt girl Pudge. What I've done since is cut up her Trifexis and give pieces throughout the day, rather than the whole pill.

tiny hada siggy.png

My 2 cents, for what it's worth (maybe a penny?)...

I think acepromazine gets a bad rap when it is prescribed for anxiety (it is not an anti-anxiety med), but when used as a pre-med is safe and effective., although I think the dosing is different for sighthounds.

My (rather, Twiggy's) experience with buprenorphine has led to a lot of anxious, panicky behavior, so I request that it is not used for her. I think some hounds tolerate it just fine, though.

For flea/tick meds, I've used (on Twiggy & fosters) without negative effects:

Frontline, Frontline Plus, Heartguard, Heartguard Plus, Comfortis, Interceptor, Sentinel, and Preventic collars. (the Interceptor, Sentinel and Preventic were all OK'd for her even during/following iv and metronomic chemo - the others might be as well, they just weren't my preferred products).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I've used both Comfortis and Trifexis on my own dogs, and prescribe it for my patients, including greyhounds. The vast majority of dogs do fine with it, and greyhounds are no more sensitive than other breeds. I see the occasional dog that develops GI upset or lethargy after taking it, and if it's a consistent response after the first or second dose, then I recommend switching to something else, but I feel Comfortis is the best monthly flea product we have at this time.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

This is a very timely thread--I was just asking the new vet what her dental anesthesia protocal was, good to see it repeated here.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greyhoundlover2

I was hoping to get some help here with a natural flea and tick preventative for my greys. One of my boys is a seizure dog and took me awhile but I have figured out that he has a seizure within a day or 2 of using some of the topical products that are recommended on here. I never used flea and tick medication until I moved to Florida six months ago. Didn't need it where I was before. This poor guy has had a seizure every month and I can not let this continue.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your replies! Frontline doesn't work anymore. I might try Comfortis...

Greetings to all,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Marion, we've had no trouble with comfortis here. I give it shortly after a meal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Frontline doesn't work for fleas here--we've been using Trifexis with no problems.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Morphine and opioids aren't necessarily a problem for greyhounds. There is some thought that greyhounds may be more likely to have dysphoric reactions, but IMO, that's not a reason to completely avoid these drugs when they are often the best option for pain control after invasive surgical procedures. They should obviously avoided in individual dogs with a history of having had a bad reaction.

I think it really depends on the dog. Rainey had HUGE issues with any opiod type of pain med. They gave her that when she had her first bout of pancreatitis and she was whacked out for 3-4 hours until it wore off, she was out of her mind, panting uncontrollably..... Unfortunately I forgot to ask when they came to the house to let her go, she again had a bad reaction and it was a very horrible euthanasia. I still hate myself for not thinking of it before they gave her the shot :(:cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 2 weeks later...
Guest houndmom05

I think acepromazine gets a bad rap when it is prescribed for anxiety (it is not an anti-anxiety med), but when used as a pre-med is safe and effective., although I think the dosing is different for sighthounds.

My boy, Padfoot, has severe thunderstorm anxiety. We've tried all the usual remedies (melatonin, valerian, DAP, thunder cape and shirt, etc. etc.). We eventually went to ace, and that's the only thing that works. He would also get a horribly upset tummy and have diahrrea. One really bad storm, his upset tummy lasted for a couple of days until I could get it under control. Once we switched to the ace, the tummy troubles disappeared, too. Ace is actually closely related to one of the meds used in human cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. We love ace! It's been my Paddy's savior! In our case, it was perfect. There are times when it is needed for anxiety.

I was hoping to get some help here with a natural flea and tick preventative for my greys

Diatomaceous Earth. Not the pool variety the food grade type. Rub a small amount in to their coat and this helps with fleas or ticks that get on them. Spread it in your yard and house. Do protect your eyes and theirs as it is a very fine fossilized diatom and can irritate the eyes.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

• 4 months later...

In terms of flea/tick/HW meds, greyhounds aren't all that different from other dogs, and there are few meds that should 'never be used'. Products that have safety concerns are usually ones that apply to all dogs, not just greyhounds. There really also aren't any "best" products, as each covers a slightly different spectrum of parasites, so it's more a matter of what kind of protection you need based on your area, neighbors, and lifestyle. Best to discuss these products with your vet so that you can make the best choice for your individual dog and situation.

All of the newer flea/tick/HW meds marketed through vet clinics are fine to use. Most of the tick collars are fine. I don't recommend any of the OTC flea collars for any dogs, mostly because they're not effective, and expose the pet to unnecessary chemicals. Pyrethrin is safe. Permethrin and pyrethroid compounds are more likely to have side effects, but are usually ok if dosed properly. Keep in mind that many of the opinions you read on various forums about products or meds "never to use" are often just that - individual opinions based on personal experience that may not apply to all greyhounds. I've heard people say that you should never use permethrin in greyhounds. But K9Advantix contains permethrin and apparently the OSU greyhound program used it for all their blood donors.

Most modern anesthetic agents used these days are safe for greyhounds. The ones that weren't were barbiturates, which are rarely used anymore. Rather than asking for specific drugs or protocols, the safest one is often the one your vet is most familiar with. Dr. Stack's article on anesthesia is another good resource:

http://www.greythealth.com/anesthesia.html

Acepromazine is also safe to use in greyhounds as long as it is an appropriate, low dose. It's a standard part of my preanesthetic protocol, although I use a lower dose for greyhounds than other breeds.

I don't think it's changed a lot, but here's a newer version of Dr. Feeman's Greyhound Health Packet:

http://www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org/Library/2010-greyhound-medical-packet.pdf

Thank you for such a complete response. I was checking to see if Advantage Multi was ok. Someone posted the Grassmere recommended list, which includes Advantage Multi. It sounds like you would agree.

I did want to clarify something in your post. I have had blood donor dogs at OSU since 2008. I have never been given K9Advantix for use on my blood donors. They give heartguard and Frontline Plus. Frontline Plus is still effective in central Ohio, but there are reports that it is becoming less effective. This does not mean that they feel K9Advantix shouldn't be used on a greyhound -- I have no clue about that.

For anyone who might wonder where I have been. I have taken on a new venture. I have started rescuing the many greyhound mixes that are used for non-sanctioned racing and field trials in Ohio and surrounding states. These dogs are often kept on chains and live outside most of the year. Most of the ones we get are pure untattooed greyhounds to about 3/4 greyhound. We act as a middleman and get these dogs off their chain and transport to a greyhound group that will take them. In the last ten months we have gotten 96 dogs off of chains to groups who find them loving homes.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/329757577168024/

The Lurcher Project Website is:

http://www.ohiolurcherproject.com/

And our WebStore is:

http://ohiolurcherproject.webs.com/apps/webstore/

Edited by joejoesmom