Sardines As Daily Add In

Hollis

I give our two a tin of sardines in oil with their dinner at least 5 times a week, no poop problems; both are big dogs and half a tin of sardines between them seem to be fine. When they were first adopted they had poor coats and dry skin, I can only comment on our own dogs but sardines appear to have given them wonderful condition and cleared up any dry skin shedding that they had. :ghplaybow

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Houston1219

We tried sardines and created a monster! Lol he licked the bowl four times then went running around the house frantically searching And begging for more Like an addict looking for a fix. Then the fish-scented Thank you kisses that followed Made me laugh and dry heave at the same time. I have never seen such a huge grin on a dogs face before!

Every week we have Sardine Saturday; it's a big can of big sardines in tomato sauce that is shared between four pups (or five, when we were that #) and it works well for us. Occasionally during the week they will also share a small tin of sardines in oil but I don't think that it's very much fish/oil. I know that some use coconut oil (search for threads here, there are quite a few) for dry skin, etc., starting with a half-teaspoon or so per day.

We did coconut oil for the gh's and afghans for probably a year and it did not help our pups. Our weather is very dry and the summer's are even drier.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

• 4 years later...

I am so glad I found this forum. I am a new grey owner (Dec 2017) and have fallen in love :beatheart !! I was not sure about the sardines, and see that I am not the only one with a "spoiled rotten" pooch who will turn her nose up without a variety of add-ins.

I can now make Sardines fairly regular, Latte loves them.

Jody

I am so glad I found this forum. I am a new grey owner (Dec 2017) and have fallen in love :beatheart !! I was not sure about the sardines, and see that I am not the only one with a "spoiled rotten" pooch who will turn her nose up without a variety of add-ins.

I can now make Sardines fairly regular, Latte loves them.

Lola loves her some sardines! She gets them at least once a week. Get the kind that are packed in water.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

We started out with a regular sardine Saturday, but that wasn’t good enough for them, so now it’s Wednesday AND Saturday or Sunday. I’m pretty sure they would eat them everyday :lol but I want to keep it special. I get the ones in water, but tomato sauce is ok too.

i have to chuckle reading this and now share this with you.....

as a toddler my daughter took a can of sardines, baby bell cheese and halavah to nursery school for lunch(the school supplied fruit for snacks)....yup, daily. as an adult she married a spaniard who exists on sardines for lunch, DAILY!!!

i always travel with a couple of cans of sardines, if not for us then for the dogs~ it's purchasing the better brands that makes the difference. the chicken of the sea or bumble bee sardines are o.k. for the hounds, but not us!

Yes, we still have Sardine Saturday here! The campers all love them. Even toothless Trevor does well with them :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Gotta throw this in - Jack Mack in a can. My DH drew the line there. I could only feed it outside. Sardines in the house he could (barely) tolerate, but Jack Mack - was a no go for him. But the dogs ADORED IT. And it worked wonders on the coats. Lord does it stink!

Lola had sardines this morning with her breakfast kibble. She is currently sleeping on her bed behind my recliner. Her farts are searing off my eyebrows. :fart

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Gotta throw this in - Jack Mack in a can. My DH drew the line there. I could only feed it outside. Sardines in the house he could (barely) tolerate, but Jack Mack - was a no go for him. But the dogs ADORED IT. And it worked wonders on the coats. Lord does it stink!

Yes, one of my dogs favorites as well, but it may smell worse than green tripe! :lol

• 3 weeks later...