Sardines As Daily Add In

Hollis

Is there any reason why I can't give the kids sardines nightly as their add in? One tin split between two greys and one dachshund. Sardines in oil.

TIA.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

They are both dry and itchy. Was hoping the oil would help. Hmmm.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest carriej

Chance is dry and itchy too :(

This cold cold dry weather we have here contributes to it; one of my other greys used to get hit hard in the winter too... I gave Chance an oatmeal bath on the weekend (specific dog bath for dry skin) and it has improved A LOT, but I have been poking around for a good oily treat too.

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry LOVES sardines. I spread a can (water,no salt) out over a few days or he'll get loose stools. Since he can't have salmon I add Icelandic Sardine/Anchovy oil into his meal every other day. His coat is soft & no flakes.

I think if I was giving a can per dog it would be too much but I'm splitting a regular size tin between two greys and a dachshund. So it's little more than 1 1/2 sardine. And the oil is split between the 3 of them two.

My two split a can of water packed sardines once or twice a week. They go crazy for the stinky fish and tap dance all over the kitchen until I put it down for them. If you are splitting a can 3 ways, that's not much, so I wouldn't think it would cause a problem.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

I find that anything oily on a regular basis gives Bella loose poops and makes her stinky. It wasn't a good trade off for a non-flakey coat.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

The vet put Wendy on ProDerma for mega-shedding, dry coat...works wonders! She also gets salmon oil twice daily.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest FreeholdHound

I have to agree. It took quite awhile to find amount that didn't cause problems. Harry tolerates small amounts or a bit more spread out over the week. Luckily except for change of seasons he doesn't have coat/skin issues.

Mine get sardines or pilchards or mackerel on a regular basis. When they get pilchards, they get a large tin each (in tomato for Sid, and in brine, well-rinsed, for Jeffie) and we have noticed no issues. They don't get that every night, of course!

It tends to be offal that gives mine the runs, but even then, not too bad. Oily fish are great for skin issues.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest DogNewbie

You could always rinse the sardines off in water- that would get rid of most of the oil. I give Wiley 1200mg of omega 3-6-9 every day and he does fine. It has worked wonders for his coat and dander. When we first got him in July, he was so scruffy and had flakes everywhere! The omegas really helped.

Every week we have Sardine Saturday; it's a big can of big sardines in tomato sauce that is shared between four pups (or five, when we were that #) and it works well for us. Occasionally during the week they will also share a small tin of sardines in oil but I don't think that it's very much fish/oil. I know that some use coconut oil (search for threads here, there are quite a few) for dry skin, etc., starting with a half-teaspoon or so per day.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My guys get canned sardines and salmon a few times a week. I also give canned oysters as they have the highest zinc levels of any food which can also be very good for skin health. If I fed them daily I would try to rinse some of the salt off. Unless you are giving large doses of omega 3's, I am a bit skeptical that they will do much for the coat, but fish is still a yummy and healthy add-in :)

Guest TexasGreytMom

We add salmon oil to our girls' food and it seems to help with dry scaly skin. Our two have sensitive stomachs and I can't even imagine how "fragrant" our home would be if we fed them sardines. LOL!

I keep thinking I need to try sardines, but now I'm going to. I think a can with the oil split 4 ways a couple times a week should be okay. I tried salmon oil (they all have semi-dry coats), but Calvin (who will eat ANYTHING) is the only one who likes it.

Buying sardines tomorrow!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Is there any reason why I can't give the kids sardines nightly as their add in? One tin split between two greys and one dachshund. Sardines in oil.

TIA.

A well known vet Dr Bruce Ferguson says "a sardine a day keeps the vet away" LOL. He recommends adding one a day to meals :) I buy the sardines in water/no salt although I do add some olive oil to meals daily. brit

I'd start off with every other night. Just to not get too carried away. If that works out well - go ahead and do every night. Or - every other night might do the trick. Dogs LOVE sardines- and the fish oils and omegas are great for them. I think splitting a tin between the 3 of them is a fine amount.

If it's too much - you'll know. No biggie. I'd guess it'll be just fine. And your dogs will LOVE you!

My three share a tin of sardines every evening. They love it, and there hasn't been a runny poop problem. I do give them a spoon of pumpkin with their morning and evening meals, though.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Maci-Grey has gotten really picky with her food. We've had to change up the routine so now she gets only a couple of kibble in the am and two cups at night. She just wasn't finishing her breakfast. And the morning add in is scrambled eggs and cheese and the meat o the day. Sardines seem to work at night.

Spoiled much?

I give one large sardine often, not quite everyday. Fish oil triggered a near pancreatitis episode in Beth so I am careful with amount. No problems to date. I give it as a snack, not with a meal.

Do NOT feed sardines in soybean oil as the extreme excess of Omega 6 in that negates the point of adding Omega 3 from fish. I like the tomato sauce or packed in water is fine.

FWIW the folks with the deepest understanding of health and diet believe that fish oil does not have the documented benefits of real fish, for people either. I eat sardines often too!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Every week we have Sardine Saturday; it's a big can of big sardines in tomato sauce that is shared between four pups (or five, when we were that #) and it works well for us.

I'm guessing those would be what we call pilchards - ie, adult sardines. To us, sardines are young fish, pilchards are older, but they are the same fish. Ours had a tin each for their dinner tonight, with a greatly reduced amount of kibble. The fish is the main part of this meal. They both LOVE them!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop