Diarrhea And Pain

I came home this afternoon and Marlow didn't greet me (he usually does, but not always) and I found him in his bed, panting a bit and there was quite a bit of drool on the floor around his bed. I thought maybe my DH had just had him out for a walk or something. Marlow followed me into the bathroom and laid down on the bath mat while I changed - he never does that - he usually lays in front of the bathroom door and watches me. Then I had to coax him to leave the bathroom. It was obvious something was "off". I took him out for a walk, thinking maybe he needed to go potty. He went to poop - had a small amount of explosive "D" and then while still in "the position", he let out a loud yelp. He then just stood and shook. We immmediately came home and I called the vet. He has an appointment at the vet this afternoon at 5:30 - that was first available. I offered him a "cookie", which he normally gets sooo excited for and he hesitantly took it and then dropped it. He is now on his bed, panting - in obvious discomfort. He has seemed "off" the last couple of days and on our walk last night his poop was runny but he was eating well and behaving normally - just seemed a bit "down".I'm not aware that he has eaten anything. Any thoughts, while I sit here and worry until we can go to the vet. It's killing me to see him in pain, but I had a very bad experience at the local e-vet and really want to avoid going back there.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Prayers for Marlow. :hope:hope:hope Hugs for you. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug It could be so many things, just hoping that it's an easy "fix".

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Insist on x-ray. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

DH and I are sitting here trying to review the week. He could have gotten something on a walk - most of the walks are in the dark and we live in an area with lots of housing construction and the workers discard food on the ground. We are vigilant to make sure he doesn't eat something but twice this week, DH had to pull things from his mouth so I guess possible he swallowed something. He'll sniff like he is going to the bathroom but then it will turn out he has found "food". (Rant - I'm going to be soooo p*ssed if he got a hold of something - how hard is it to put your garbage in a bag and throw it away!!!) I will ask for an xray.

Guest RMarie

DH and I are sitting here trying to review the week. He could have gotten something on a walk - most of the walks are in the dark and we live in an area with lots of housing construction and the workers discard food on the ground. We are vigilant to make sure he doesn't eat something but twice this week, DH had to pull things from his mouth so I guess possible he swallowed something. He'll sniff like he is going to the bathroom but then it will turn out he has found "food". (Rant - I'm going to be soooo p*ssed if he got a hold of something - how hard is it to put your garbage in a bag and throw it away!!!) I will ask for an xray.

Yes, this sounds just like our neighborhood. I take a flashlight with me to make sure I see what he's seeing. I had to steer James clear of an entire chicken carcass the other day. :puke

Yes, this sounds just like our neighborhood. I take a flashlight with me to make sure I see what he's seeing. I had to steer James clear of an entire chicken carcass the other day. :puke

Mine too. I have pulled more chicken bones out of Sweep's mouth than I can count. Makes me so mad, especially because it often happens at a nearby park with picnic areas and there are trash cans EVERYWHERE. That needlenose is just too perfect for finding a tasty morsel in a patch of long grass. Argh.

Prayers for Marlow!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Checking for an update.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

felix has show intense cramping/pain when he has had bouts w/ giardia. it initially showed up when he was a pup, was dormant for years. he may have picked it up camping last summer, but he had one painful bout- lasted nearly 3 days- just long enough for the weekend to end(started on a friday afternoon) then another bout exactly 2 weeks later. tell tale sign that the buggers reproduced. his posture was head down to the ground, tail tucked in and under, arched back.

So, Marlow has Clostridial colitis and he's now on an antibiotic. As I was sitting in the vet's office I remembered that earlier this week one of my kids told me they saw Marlow scooting his butt in the grass (I know this can indicate an anal gland issue) so I told the vet about that. He then expressed his glands and said they were really full and that could've been the cause of his pain. (The vet tech told me she had never seen so much stuff come out. She said if she hadn't seen it happen she would have thought a dog had thrown up - that's how much "stuff" there was - YUK! :puke Poor Marlow :( ) He's resting in front of the fire and seems much more comfortable. Hopefully that was the problem. I'll be very nervous when he goes to the bathroom tomorrow (he probably will be too, lol!)

As for the anal gland issue - what causes this? I read that poor quality food/ not enough fiber can be a factor.. When I adopted him he was being fed a really cheap food (now I can't remember the name). I switched him to Kirkland sweet potato and chicken. His poops were good on both foods. Should I switch his food to something with more fiber? Add pumpkin to his food? Do nothing?

Thanks for your good thoughts when I was worried this afternoon and for your input.

Guest Giselle

Aww, poor guy. Hopefully, he'll start to feel better after the round of meds! And I bet he feels much less impacted now!

Anal glands are supposed to be "expressed" every time the dog defecates, provided that the poop itself is actually firm enough. If he always has chronic soft poop (either because of diet or because of indigestion or because of the clostridia infection), then the glands can be chronically unexpressed, and you'll have to do it by hand. My first course of action is to find a food that works to give the dog really firm poops, and, if that doesn't work, learn how to express anal glands or make frequent trips to someone who does.

Guest RMarie

I'm glad you have a diagnosis. I'm sorry I have no advice. But I agree with Giselle about finding a food that provides better poops. We struggle with soft poop with James quite often. I'm always nervous that he'll develop anal gland issues as a result.

My question is this: which came first, the colitis or gland issue?

My question is this: which came first, the colitis or gland issue?

We noticed both at the same time, but I'm going to guess the colitis came first.. He gets at least 2 walks a day, but rarely poops on walks - he seems to prefer the privacy of the backyard - so, we don't often see his poop. We were visiting my parents over Christmas week and they have no yard so he did poop on his walks and they were formed and soft (they squished when picked up, but definitely formed). He had a lot more gas than normal while we were on the trip. On our walk on Thursday night, he had a runny poop, but seemed fine otherwise. It was Friday afternoon that he seemed off and cried when he had his explosive "D". He had diarrhea before bed last night and didn't cry but this morning when he went out, he cried numerous times but little or no poop came out. So, now I'm trying to decide if he should go back to the vet or if I should give his meds time to work. We had thousands in vet bills last year and so I'm trying to be more thoughtful before I run to the vet (I seem to feel I should run to the vet for every little thing but will make my kids wait before going to the doctor, lol!) He didn't eat dinner last night and has no interest in breakfast this morning - he is a chow hound so this is worrisome. He's resting comfortably now (no panting like yesterday afternoon. I read on several sites that Clostridial colitis can cause pain as well as "D" .

Aww, poor guy. Hopefully, he'll start to feel better after the round of meds! And I bet he feels much less impacted now!

Anal glands are supposed to be "expressed" every time the dog defecates, provided that the poop itself is actually firm enough. If he always has chronic soft poop (either because of diet or because of indigestion or because of the clostridia infection), then the glands can be chronically unexpressed, and you'll have to do it by hand. My first course of action is to find a food that works to give the dog really firm poops, and, if that doesn't work, learn how to express anal glands or make frequent trips to someone who does.

I'm guessing that his poop isn't firm enough. I thought it looked good since it was formed but soft, but think maybe it is just too soft. Learn something new with every hound....

Guest RMarie

:( Poor baby! I'd probably give the meds time to work, but I always tend to take the 'wait and see approach.' Is he drinking water? Maybe try some Pedialyte?

:( Poor baby! I'd probably give the meds time to work, but I always tend to take the 'wait and see approach.' Is he drinking water? Maybe try some Pedialyte?

DH and I decided to wait and give the meds some time. He will drink water and he did take some cookies this morning. I will get some pedialyte. THanks!