Duct Tape For Corns - What's Your Method?

kudzu

Duct tape for corns - What's your method?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Did you remove & replace the duct tape daily? If so, did it work? (if tried for multiple dogs, choose all responses that apply)

• Yes. I changed it daily. It worked & ultimately removed the corn completely.
    • Yes. I changed it daily. It helped a lot but didn't completly remove the corn.
    • Yes. I changed it daily. After trying for a long while I gave up because It didn't help.
    • Yes. I changed it daily. I soon gave up when I didn't see improvement.
    • I didn't use this approach.
  2. 2. Did you leave the duct tape on until it fell off & then replace it? (if tried for multiple dogs, choose all responses that apply)

• Yes. I left it on until it fell off & then replaced it. It worked & ultimately removed the corn completely.
    • Yes. I left it on until it fell off & then replaced it. After trying for a long while I gave up because It didn't help.
    • Yes. I left it on until it fell off & then replaced it. I soon gave up when I didn't see improvement.
    • I didn't use this approach.
  3. 3. Did you used duct tape in a different method from those listed above? (if tried for multiple dogs, choose all responses that apply)

• Yes. I used a different duct tape method.
    • No. I used one of the above methods.
    • No. I used Duck tape, not duct tape.
    • What does this have to do with ducks?

For the first time I have a hound with corns. He has two toes, with one corn each, on the same foot. I've decided to try the duct tape method first using the weight bearing corn as the test toe & the non-weight bearing corn, on the outer edge of the outer toe, as a sort of control. In my reading so far it seems there are a few different approaching to using duct tape for corns. So I thought a quick poll may help with ideas. Feel free to post your method.

Thanks,

I used the tape and it often fell off by itself before I needed to take it off to replace it. I did not see a difference/ help by using the tape except maybe it provided a cover/ slight cushion on the corn.

I have used coconut oil on the corn to keep it softened,and we always use a boot when we go out walking.

We have had them hulled, just for them to come back fairly quickly. Oddly, lately the one she has, has gone away on its own after some time just with the above mentioned strategies.

It is probably my own placebo affect but I swear that coconut oil, given to them in their food and on the corn has helped????That is my story and I am sticking with it! :nod

If you have better luck with something, please post it!!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I changed it every 3-4 days and usually about 3 or so rounds of that the corn would pull out with the tape.
I think daily changing won't give whatever in the heck in duct tape that works time to sink in.
You have to use the good stuff like Duck or Nashua - dollar store brands don't work.
Don't cover the whole pad - just a little bigger than the corn.

Good luck.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My bridge boy Doc - had terrible corns when he came to me - 2 or 3 toes on EACH foot had corns on them!

I hulled them myself and filled the holes left behind with Bag Balm ..... worked WONDERFUL. We were able to get rid of most of the corns within a couple months. He went from having 10 active corns, to only two small ones, that after a year or two ...those were gone as well.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Paul has two corns for the first time in his life and this is the first greyhound for me with corns. Do you think he would lick at it? He licks his feet all the time.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So far the duct tape is staying on without a problem. We just happened to have Scotch 3M brand. Hopefully the adhesive in it will work the same as Duck brand. I'm compromising & will reapply every few days rather than waiting for it to fall off.

Will have to pick up some Bag Balm when I'm at the livestock supply store. I'd like to keep the rest of his pads as soft & supple as possible. Will use it on the other corn that's on the edge of a pad, the non-weight bearing area of that outer toe.

He went from having 10 active corns, ...

Ouch, ouch ouch!! Glad you were able to help him. Poor baby.

Paul has two corns for the first time in his life and this is the first greyhound for me with corns. Do you think he would lick at it? He licks his feet all the time.

Irene, there is a greyhounds with corns Facebook group with lots of suggestions. Misty is my corn girl. One on each back foot. I just pick at them when they get close to the surface. Once they are loose enough, I can pop them out. They have been slow to come back this time. Since there is no edge starting to stick up past the surface yet, I was thinking about trying duct tape. I think I would keep it on for several days before changing. I'll be interested in the results of this poll.

Wow! I just pulled the first piece of duct tape off & the corn has raised up considerably. The edges are quite prominent & I just couldn't help myself. I took my fingernail & made a little pull at the edge. The corn or at least a goodly section of it pulled right out. He now has a small divot in his pad. Was not quite sure what to do next so I just put another piece of duct tape on it. It seems implausible for the corn to come out in just two days so that had to be just a layer of it. It's unexpected & quite encouraging.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Vivie's corn is huge and folds over on her pad. We've hulled probably 4x with poor results. The corn came back within weeks and she limps more after than she does before the hulling. I think it's because they do it wrong and bruise her pad. It's not exactly a at-home-hullable corn. I dremel the top surface for nail trims, but that's all I do. I used to soften the pad, but saw no change. She gets a therapaw when we have hard surfaces during a walk or a trip to the vet. She takes tramadol for the corns. This is a course of treatment that the corn community does not agree with. However, it works for us and I can definitely tell she's the most comfortable THIS way. And that's most important to me.

I think I might try this with him. He has just become such a scardy cat of everything in his old age. He was afraid of his SS box. :<(

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest BlueCrab

I changed it every 3-4 days and usually about 3 or so rounds of that the corn would pull out with the tape.

I think daily changing won't give whatever in the heck in duct tape that works time to sink in.

You have to use the good stuff like Duck or Nashua - dollar store brands don't work.

Don't cover the whole pad - just a little bigger than the corn.

Good luck.

I use the method similar to Pam's. The corns do come back after a while, though, and we use Therapaws for long walks or hikes on hard surfaces. But the duct tape definitely worked for us, and very quickly at that.

It sounds like different people have different experiences, though...for some people / corns, it seems to work well while it doesn't for others. We tried hulling, for example, which did nothing for us but does seem to work well for others.

Elliott has a reoccurring corn on one of his toes ... He has had countless hullings and one surgical procedure to cut it out of his pad, which took a long time to heal. The damn thing always comes back. We use a therapaw on walks, but he can't wear it all the time and we have hardwood floors. I feel so bad for him. I am going to try the duct tape. I never really thought it worked because it just sounds wacky, but it looks like people have had some luck with it. I so hope it works.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

• 2 weeks later...

In case you haven't heard or read elsewhere, we make a Corn/Callus Cream here at our compounding pharmacy. The formula was developed in 2010 specifically for greyhounds with this problem by Pharmacist and Owner, Susan Merenstein. Since then, the product has been a huge success! We have dispensed over 1,250 tubes of the cream to help greyhounds all over the world!

Based on a questionairre sent to the greyhound owners using our cream, we have had 80% report improvement and/or resolution of the corn!

We recommend using the Corn and Callus Cream together with our Hyaluronic Acid Lotion twice a day until achieve results desired.

Go to: http://www.murrayavenuerx.com/corn-and-callus-cream-hyaluronic-acid-and-thera-paws.html for more information, instructions, and to purchase the products from us.

Also, feel free to contact us with any questions or for more information.

We hope to help your GREYT Greyhound!!

Erica Roberman, PharmD

Murray Avenue Apothecary

Pittsburgh's Pet Pharmacy

www.MAApgh.com

412-421-4996

I'm going to start the duct tape on Calvin's corns today. He has 2 on his left front paw---one big and one small. I'm almost sure he will lick it off, though. He is a compulsive licker! Would it be okay to have his Therapaw on most of the time?

Thanks for the info about the Corn/Callus Cream. I'm in Pittsburgh, so I'm going to try to visit when I have a chance.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• 4 months later...
Guest astritle

We tried the duct tape for a while but didn't seem to notice a difference, and thankfully Marco didn't eat it! He has had it hulled twice, but it quickly returns as does his limping. We are now on week 2 of the Murray's apothothery cream mentioned above paired with a non-Murray's hyaluronic acid treatment (just due to cost). We are only doing in once per day on work days and twice on the weekends due to time constraints during the week and also use . The corn is lifting and his gait is definitely better, seems more comfortable. Fingers crossed. :goodluck

Edited by astritle

Vivie's corn is huge and folds over on her pad. We've hulled probably 4x with poor results. The corn came back within weeks and she limps more after than she does before the hulling. I think it's because they do it wrong and bruise her pad. It's not exactly a at-home-hullable corn. I dremel the top surface for nail trims, but that's all I do. I used to soften the pad, but saw no change. She gets a therapaw when we have hard surfaces during a walk or a trip to the vet. She takes tramadol for the corns. This is a course of treatment that the corn community does not agree with. However, it works for us and I can definitely tell she's the most comfortable THIS way. And that's most important to me.

Can you post a picture of this? I've never heard of a corn folding over on itself and wonder if this is maybe a cutaneous horn?

Others who are more knowledgeable will jump in hopefully, but based on your description that is my first thought.