Gulping Heartgard Chews Whole

Riley gulps treats of any kind. He never questions what they are and he never chews them. On the plus side, this makes him remarkably easy to pill. On the not so great side, he also gulps his Heartgard chews. I have heard that this reduces or completely negates the effectiveness of the medicine as it is not absorbed by the body if it isn't thoroughly chewed. I looked at the FAQ for Heartgard and they recommended "administering the medication in a manner that encourages the dog to chew." I have no idea what manner that would be. In the future we'll probably cut up his chew into little pieces before giving it to him.

Anyone know the scoop on this?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

The concept of "chewing" has not yet landed at this house. Actually, I hadn't noted the instructions for Heartgard :blush ... pretty sure that Aston's Heartgard chews have gone down whole, along with his kibble, medication and anything else that's ever graced his mouf.

I wonder if the chew needs to be broken down by the enzymes that kick in as a result of chewing, or if it just needs to be in smaller pieces to get completely absorbed?
Perhaps we should pre-chew and regurg into hound mouths a la mama birds. :repuke <----- see, like that but open mouf on the other end :puke:puke:puke

ack i hadn't read that either, my dogs do chew them though and are not so sure about eating them haha... i dread teh day when they decide not to eat them anymore :o

I cut them up and put them in their kibble. If I give it whole, Fuzzy gets diarrhea.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Thanks for starting this thread. We just switched over from Interceptor (pills) to Heartguard (chews). I never bothered to read the Heartguard instructions! I'm pretty sure ours were gulped down too. I guess I'll be breaking them up and mixing with their food the next time.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I have been breaking Sallie's into pieces because she has so few teeth and I got tired of watching her try to gum it to death, but she still gulps the pieces down. I don't know how you would encourage a dog to chew little pieces if they didn't want to, and no o_rooly, I am not pre-chewing for them :lol

I have been breaking Sallie's into pieces because she has so few teeth and I got tired of watching her try to gum it to death, but she still gulps the pieces down. I don't know how you would encourage a dog to chew little pieces if they didn't want to, and no o_rooly, I am not pre-chewing for them :lol

That's basically what the vet said. You can't force them to chew it.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

As long as the Ivemectin is ingested and not regurgitated I can't imagine how it goes down could make a difference.

The amount in heartgard is so teeny tiny anyway. One well known vet once told me that except for herding breeds a dog could eat boxes and boxes of Heartgard with no ill effects.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I am pretty sure it MAY reduce effectiveness. My vet went from using Sentinel (chewable) to Advantage Multi (topical) as his recommend preventative, partly because he felt Advantage had the edge in preventing one kind of worm, but I recall he mentioned concerns over the digestion issue with unchewed pills.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad